“fantastic place for a cold winter night”
Review of The Gideon Putnam

The Gideon Putnam
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I really love this place. this was my first visit and I was there for 3 nights. The hotel was cozy, the room quite nice, the staff very pleasant. You can snowshoe or hike in the snow, feeling safe even back In the pine forest. The spa was wonderful. I'll go back!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

How wonderful - thank you for sharing your kind words. The greatest compliment that we can receive is to hear that you felt safe and cozy. A hotel is, after all, a temporary home away from home. Happy New Year!

There are newer reviews for The Gideon Putnam

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I love historic hotels, and this one is a fine example of that. However, it needs some better care.

First the pros:
1. The setting is fantastic. It's contained in the Saratoga Spa State Park and the grounds are very nice.
2. The hotel itself is beautiful. Right from the moment you pull up outside, you are struck by the magnificence of this building. I arrived on a quiet Sunday evening and took the opportunity to walk through the hotel and explore. You can just feel the history oozing out of the walls and imagine how this property was many years ago.
3. The staff is top notch. Everyone that I encountered was very friendly and focused on making my stay better.
4. The food is outstanding. For dinner, I had a pumpkin ravioli in a white wine cream sauce which was stellar. For brunch the next day, the entire spread was very high quality from the smoked fish assortment to the excellent roast beef and I can't say enough good things about the pastries.
5. The technology was great. Each room has a very nice HD TV with more channels than many hotels offer. Also, the wifi coverage was great and I never had any issues with slow wifi or getting disconnected. The wifi coverage was better here than at many new hotels.

Unfortunately, there were several cons:
1. Inside my room there were signs of neglect. From the several marks on the wall to the paint chipping off the ceiling, the room was in need of a good cleaning and repainting.
2. I encountered 3 large bugs. I think they were coming in from one of the windows in my room, but I was very startled when a large bug landed on my shoulder as I sat in my easy chair watching TV.
3. The mini fridge in my room was inside a cabinet and rattled loudly whenever the compressor kicked on. On the plus side, I had a fridge, which is more than most hotels can boast.

I noticed that several reviewers have complained about bathrooms and other areas being out of date. Those reviewers apparently fail to understand that they are staying in a historic hotel, not a brand new construction. If you want updated, high tech, go somewhere else. If you appreciate the beautiful architecture and lovely scenery that is rich with history both inside and out, then there are few places better than the Gideon Putnam.

I always enjoy staying here and am very much looking forward to my next opportunity to stay at the Gideon Putnam.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ShawnC623
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for your appreciation of our beautiful, historic hotel, and for writing such a fabulous review! We are so happy you had such a wonderful visit - I am sorry to hear it was anything less than perfect. Care for a property such as this is eternal, and we are never without multiple projects. I am curious if you stayed on the 5th floor, because this year, we re-painted all the guestrooms on floors 1-4, and this Winter we will tackle the 5th Floor. We also removed all the screens from the windows last year so that we could replace any cracked or broken glass and re-paint the exterior trim this year. We are located in a State Park, and although we try, eliminating all encounters with bugs is near impossible. I am very sorry. Replacing the screens this upcoming Spring should remedy this. We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed here in June 2013 for a Tom Petty show at SPAC. Comfortable stay, rooms were clean, front desk were friendly and helpful. If you are planning on seeing any shows at SPAC this is the place to stay as it is within walking distance (10 - 15 min). Will stay again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 476,589
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for your patronage, and for taking the time to share your positive review. We are located in the Saratoga Spa State Park, right next door to Saratoga Performing Arts Center - so yes, if you are looking to attend a rock concert or a classical performance (ballet, modern dance, orchestra, chamber), the Gideon Putnam is the place to be! Thank you!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was here recently and felt it was a good experience. I had a one-night stay in a first-floor room. The room was clean and did not have the mildew-y smell that others have reported. The staff was very friendly and helpful when I checked in. The food during my stay was pretty good as well. Overall, good experience.

Now, I give that review having arrived knowing that this hotel is in a very old building and would not be the same type of stay as a newly-built facility down the road. I think you need to have an appreciation for the historical nature of the hotel in order to really enjoy your stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JessNY
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us, and we really appreciate your sentiment regarding the historical nature of our hotel. We don't try to make excuses, but like you said, if someone has an appreciation for historic hotels, they will really enjoy their stay at the Gideon Putnam. We are so glad you had an overall good experience. Come see us again!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

While the hotel is located in a lovely park, that doesn't make up for old, run-down rooms that smell of mildew. The hotel was booked for the conference I was attending, but they did move me to a less smelly room. The wallpaper was peeling, the bathroom was old and outdated, the linens stiff. The public spaces were rundown and worn. The food was mediocre; only breakfast option was an expensive buffet. The service by hotel staff was very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jane S
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

I am thrilled to hear that our staff treated you well and that you loved our location here in the park. But I am disappointed to hear you were not pleased with our historic 1935 hotel. Care for a property such as this is eternal, but we are deeply committed to maintaining and renovating the Gideon Putnam. Should your future plans lead you back to Saratoga, I do hope you will give us another chance - you will continue to see improvements with each phase of renovation.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an absolutely wonderful stay at the Gideon. This was our first time at the Gideon, as well as our first time in Saratoga Springs. We were checked in by Shawna Robinson, who was unbelievable. She was so warm and welcoming. Not only were we able to check in early, but she upgraded our room as well . What a great first impression of the Gideon! Our room was great and the view.....so serene. The hotel is so grand....like going back in time. How wonderful to stay in a hotel in a beautiful state park. We'll definitely be back. Eileen Boland

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eileen B
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

I am so glad we were able to provide you with a special experience! Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with a wider audience. It sounds like we will see you again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

What a lovely surprise in a beautiful park setting. It was charming, the rooms were lovely albiet old. The shower faucet was loose and didn't work perfectly... the elevator was slow (there is only one) but in some way added to the charm. The staff was wonderful, warm and welcoming. There were fires burning in the lobby living room and there is a bar open all day so you can have a local brew and get cozy. There are the springs and the spa to check out all within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank T B
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your observations and feedback. We are a 1935 property and we are not perfect... but we work toward that end every single day. It sound like you had a wonderful getaway, and we are so glad we could be a part of that. Thank you for your appreciation of the Gideon Putnam's historic character and charm. We hope to see you again soon!