“Charming hotel, amazing grounds”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gideon Putnam

The Gideon Putnam
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Charming hotel, amazing grounds”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The hotel is located in a state park with a golf course, spa baths, auto museum, restaurants and miles of walking , running trails. Bicycle rentals are available at the hotel lobby and are a great way to see the landscape. The hotel has a great historic feel to it. The rooms are a good size and you come into the room and are faced with a closet. You run into the room and the bed is off to the side. This is a small touch, but it makes that honeycomb long corridor feel you get in modern hotels and makes this room seem almost like a real room at a home. There were windows that opened so you can get fresh air. Some of the banquet area ceilings were in need of a re-plastering, but this was minor and in no way effected my opinion of the hotel. The food was excellent. Lots of seating options in the common areas for private conversations or a nice place to read a newspaper. I wish I had brought my family so they could have enjoyed it.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor, which was great to the stairs on occasion. The elevator is small and g...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking notice and for appreciating all that our hotel and the Saratoga Spa State Park has to offer. We are a unique, historic destination and we really appreciate hearing from people who have newly discovered us. There is something for everyone, so of course, we hope you return and bring the whole family! Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel resides on scenic grounds, just around the bend from the best sites in Saratoga Springs. The valet, Julie at the Concierge desk, the front desk team and the driver of the GP shuttle van were all friendly and helpful. However, a couple of other team members we experienced were quite rough around the edges. Our king room, while spacious, needed cleaning. The carpeting was dirty and in need of a shampooing, there were splash stains of some brownish substance on our bathroom ceiling over the tub (I don't even want to guess what it could have been), cobwebs on our vanity light, spackling and holes from where once pictures hung on the wall surrounding the headboard. I do understand this old facility requires ongoing upkeep, however, this is maintenance101. I would be very unhappy if I were a customer paying the high racing season rates.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Snert41
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We appreciate it each and every time a guest takes the time to share their feedback. We take great pride in providing exceptional customer service, and so I am glad to hear you experienced this through our staff. We hope you can forgive a few of our staff members for being green - we have added quite a few new seasonal staff members as we gear up for the busy Summer season. We also thank you for understanding that care for a Historic Landmark Hotel such as this is eternal. When Delaware North Companies took over management in 2008, we committed $19.7 million toward capital improvements. We have a paint crew in-house, re-painting and repairing guestrooms as we speak. We hope you return - guests will continue to see improvements to the hotel with each phase of renovation.
orchard park
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is the first time I have been to the Gideon Putnam, although my husband was there for a conference before. The grounds are beautiful, the hotel is grand and charming, and of course, old, as part of its charm. We were in a delightful porch suite on the ground floor. The porch was lovely, with windows on 2 sides, overlooking a beautiful park setting. I have heard other rooms are smaller, so I am very glad we chose this category, as it was furnished nicely and spacious. the only drawback to an older hotel is, of course, the A/C. The first day and night were extremely muggy, and the A/C was virtually ineffective. If we turned it up, this awful noise sputtered from it, so we ended up just turning it off, opening the door to the porch, and kept the fan on. The bed, however, was extremely comfy. The public areas, though, are wonderfully cool. The proximity to the SPAC was a terrific advantage, as we were able to walk to the concert and not have to worry about the traffic.
We only had breakfast here, so cannot comment on dinner, but the bar is a beautiful place to have a drink. Overall, I am already planning my visit next year, for the same concert!! After all, you cannot get this kind of ambience from a cookie-cutter contemporary hotel!!

Room Tip: A Porch Suite is ideal - beautiful view of the park, sunny and bright.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
How exciting to hear that you are already planning your next trip! And I am thrilled to hear how comfortable you were in one of our Porch Suites - the Porches really are the ideal place to unwind between a walk in the park, a concert at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, a trip into town... I am sorry to hear that the A/C was not very effective, on what was an extremely muggy weekend. Updating and maintaining a historic landmark hotel is eternal - we sincerely thank you for your appreciation of everything else!
New York
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My adult daughter took me to the Gideon (we've stayed there a couple times previously) for a Mother's Day package of one-night stay, Sunday brunch, and mineral bath.

The room was pretty nice, though there was a spot on the wall where they'd spackled and never painted, which surprised me, given their extensive renovations in recent years. We'd been booked months in advance and would have expected a top-notch room. There were a couple rooms nearby with loud, young children. I am not a crank about this stuff, but I sure do appreciate it when hotels put families with young children all together in a hotel. They were still loud at 11:30 p.m.

The brunch was delicious and quite extensive. At the end, though, we were presented with a bill. My daughter explained that she had purchased an inclusive package (and the price she'd paid certainly reflected it-- it was considerably more than just a room charge,) and there was a great deal of confusion for some reason. They did the right thing and did not charge us, and we left a good tip for the excellent service. The front desk people were also helpful and courteous.

The Roosevelt Baths were truly wonderful. They have perfected their facilities and their staff (unlike last time) were attentive and mature. Overall, we had a very nice time in the beautiful surroundings of this fine old hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
How wonderful that you were able to celebrate Mother's Day with your daughter. Thank you for choosing the Gideon Putnam, and thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the Spa and our delicious brunch. Please excuse the spackling in your guestroom. Care for a Historic Landmark Hotel such as this is eternal. When Delaware North Companies took over management in 2008, we committed $19.7 million toward capital improvements. We have a paint crew in-house, re-painting the guestrooms as we speak. We hope you return - guests will continue to see improvements to the hotel with each phase of renovation.
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay a few day in Saratoga Springs, New York. Since we love grand old hotels we decided to try the Gideon Putnam. The hotel in located in a beautiful park with lots of places to walk. When we first approached the hotel we noticed that one of the main from columns was missing and replaced with a couple of rust steal pipes. The lobby was warm and welcoming. Our fir room was on the second floor with a view of the roof below. We asked to be moved and were given a room on the fifth floor. This room was in disrepair with pealing paint and lots of black mold in the bathroom. Once again we asked to be relocated and were given another room which was in much better shape. We had several meals in the restaurant and enjoyed both the food and the service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ForkU
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. It is wonderful to hear of your appreciation for grand old hotels. I wish you had asked someone about the column out front - the steel pipe is only temporary. The original was in disrepair so it was removed and sent out so that a new one could be recast to match the original. It should be re-installed very soon. And I'm glad that our Front Desk Agents were able to find a room that you were comfortable with. All of our rooms have been renovated since 2008, but care for a historic property is eternal, and so as we speak, we have a paint crew making their way through our guest rooms again. Thank you for your patience and your patronage.
Dares Beach, MD
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The room was nice because it was simple and reminded me of a time like titanic. Neat! They had lots of paths on the property which was ideal if you are traveling with a pet. On another level, the restaurant sucks. The food is way over priced and not worth the bad service.

Room Tip: We had the porch suite and the extra room was great! Our puppy especially enjoyed all the windows!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad to hear that you and your pet had a wonderful stay at our hotel, here in the Saratoga Spa State Park. I'm sorry to hear you did not care for our restaurant; we do our very best to please all of our guests all the time. I'm sorry we did not meet the level of service that you deserve. We hope to see you again.
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the Gideon for a conference in May, 2013. My room, in the back of the hotel with a view of the ancient pine trees, was lovely and well-appointed. And, the windows opened, to let in the spring breezes. Unfortunately, there are no screens on the windows, so one day many bees decided to join us in our room. After that, we were back to air conditioning. The A/C doesn't get very cool, and not (to my preference, anyway) cool enough to sleep under the nice down comforters on the beds. They have invested a lot in good beds, nice soft sheets and comforters. Too bad they haven't invested in good pillows. These were rock hard institutional-quality foam or fiber-fill pillows, and when I asked for feather pillows, they said they didn't have any. Given the high standards of everything else, I was surprised and disappointed.

The hotel is nicely decorated in muted tones, and very clean in all common and private areas. There were two conferences going on at the same time, but the conference rooms did a good job of insulating sound, and they kept the rest rooms clean. The food was just ok, but that may have been a function of the conference organizers' choices and budgets, hard to tell. The one night I had dinner in the hotel's restaurant, it was delicious and well-priced, and service was friendly and efficient.

The reservationists are off-site, and I had a bit of trouble making my reservation for this conference. I was told by the first one that there were no individual rooms available for the conference and I'd have to take a suite, at a much higher price. Yet, when I called again later in the day and got someone else, he found me a room a the conference rate, and one for the night before at below the conference rate. A good thing, however, that I looked at my bill carefully when I checked out: they charged me the full rate for all three nights! When the error was brought to their attention, they cheerfully redid the bill by had (it took about 15 minutes), but one wonders how many people scrutinize their bills?

Room Tip: ask for one in the back, facing the pines. I had 237, which was great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your room, and your stay with us here among the ancient pines. I believe I know which group you were here with, and the reason you received two different answers when trying to book your reservation. There were not enough rooms blocked-off at the pre-negotiated conference rate; when it became apparent that there were still people trying to book for your conference, we opened up more rooms. I'm sorry you called in the midst of that - I'm sure it was very confusing. I'm glad to hear that accounting resolved your billing issue - feel free to call us if you have any further questions. Hopefully we will see you again next year!