“Lovely, but could use some tightening up”
Review of The Gideon Putnam

The Gideon Putnam
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Lovely, but could use some tightening up”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My adult daughter took me to the Gideon (we've stayed there a couple times previously) for a Mother's Day package of one-night stay, Sunday brunch, and mineral bath.

The room was pretty nice, though there was a spot on the wall where they'd spackled and never painted, which surprised me, given their extensive renovations in recent years. We'd been booked months in advance and would have expected a top-notch room. There were a couple rooms nearby with loud, young children. I am not a crank about this stuff, but I sure do appreciate it when hotels put families with young children all together in a hotel. They were still loud at 11:30 p.m.

The brunch was delicious and quite extensive. At the end, though, we were presented with a bill. My daughter explained that she had purchased an inclusive package (and the price she'd paid certainly reflected it-- it was considerably more than just a room charge,) and there was a great deal of confusion for some reason. They did the right thing and did not charge us, and we left a good tip for the excellent service. The front desk people were also helpful and courteous.

The Roosevelt Baths were truly wonderful. They have perfected their facilities and their staff (unlike last time) were attentive and mature. Overall, we had a very nice time in the beautiful surroundings of this fine old hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
How wonderful that you were able to celebrate Mother's Day with your daughter. Thank you for choosing the Gideon Putnam, and thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the Spa and our delicious brunch. Please excuse the spackling in your guestroom. Care for a Historic Landmark Hotel such as this is eternal. When Delaware North Companies took over management in 2008, we committed $19.7 million toward capital improvements. We have a paint crew in-house, re-painting the guestrooms as we speak. We hope you return - guests will continue to see improvements to the hotel with each phase of renovation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay a few day in Saratoga Springs, New York. Since we love grand old hotels we decided to try the Gideon Putnam. The hotel in located in a beautiful park with lots of places to walk. When we first approached the hotel we noticed that one of the main from columns was missing and replaced with a couple of rust steal pipes. The lobby was warm and welcoming. Our fir room was on the second floor with a view of the roof below. We asked to be moved and were given a room on the fifth floor. This room was in disrepair with pealing paint and lots of black mold in the bathroom. Once again we asked to be relocated and were given another room which was in much better shape. We had several meals in the restaurant and enjoyed both the food and the service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ForkU
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. It is wonderful to hear of your appreciation for grand old hotels. I wish you had asked someone about the column out front - the steel pipe is only temporary. The original was in disrepair so it was removed and sent out so that a new one could be recast to match the original. It should be re-installed very soon. And I'm glad that our Front Desk Agents were able to find a room that you were comfortable with. All of our rooms have been renovated since 2008, but care for a historic property is eternal, and so as we speak, we have a paint crew making their way through our guest rooms again. Thank you for your patience and your patronage.
Dares Beach, MD
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The room was nice because it was simple and reminded me of a time like titanic. Neat! They had lots of paths on the property which was ideal if you are traveling with a pet. On another level, the restaurant sucks. The food is way over priced and not worth the bad service.

Room Tip: We had the porch suite and the extra room was great! Our puppy especially enjoyed all the windows!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad to hear that you and your pet had a wonderful stay at our hotel, here in the Saratoga Spa State Park. I'm sorry to hear you did not care for our restaurant; we do our very best to please all of our guests all the time. I'm sorry we did not meet the level of service that you deserve. We hope to see you again.
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the Gideon for a conference in May, 2013. My room, in the back of the hotel with a view of the ancient pine trees, was lovely and well-appointed. And, the windows opened, to let in the spring breezes. Unfortunately, there are no screens on the windows, so one day many bees decided to join us in our room. After that, we were back to air conditioning. The A/C doesn't get very cool, and not (to my preference, anyway) cool enough to sleep under the nice down comforters on the beds. They have invested a lot in good beds, nice soft sheets and comforters. Too bad they haven't invested in good pillows. These were rock hard institutional-quality foam or fiber-fill pillows, and when I asked for feather pillows, they said they didn't have any. Given the high standards of everything else, I was surprised and disappointed.

The hotel is nicely decorated in muted tones, and very clean in all common and private areas. There were two conferences going on at the same time, but the conference rooms did a good job of insulating sound, and they kept the rest rooms clean. The food was just ok, but that may have been a function of the conference organizers' choices and budgets, hard to tell. The one night I had dinner in the hotel's restaurant, it was delicious and well-priced, and service was friendly and efficient.

The reservationists are off-site, and I had a bit of trouble making my reservation for this conference. I was told by the first one that there were no individual rooms available for the conference and I'd have to take a suite, at a much higher price. Yet, when I called again later in the day and got someone else, he found me a room a the conference rate, and one for the night before at below the conference rate. A good thing, however, that I looked at my bill carefully when I checked out: they charged me the full rate for all three nights! When the error was brought to their attention, they cheerfully redid the bill by had (it took about 15 minutes), but one wonders how many people scrutinize their bills?

Room Tip: ask for one in the back, facing the pines. I had 237, which was great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your room, and your stay with us here among the ancient pines. I believe I know which group you were here with, and the reason you received two different answers when trying to book your reservation. There were not enough rooms blocked-off at the pre-negotiated conference rate; when it became apparent that there were still people trying to book for your conference, we opened up more rooms. I'm sorry you called in the midst of that - I'm sure it was very confusing. I'm glad to hear that accounting resolved your billing issue - feel free to call us if you have any further questions. Hopefully we will see you again next year!
Williamsville, New York, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed just one night this past March on our way to VT. I had stayed there six or seven years ago and could not wait to return to this beautiful Georgian-syle inn that sits on 2000 acres in a state park. I was aware that some redecorating had been done and I could not wait to see it. I was soo thrilled to see how the lobby had been redone. We checked in and went to our room (which they said they had upgraded us to) only to find that it was color-less and I truly throught they had put us in maids quarters! Back to the front desk to be told that all of the rooms had been redone in that style! I was so disappointed to find all the rooms were now colorless and looked very much like a Hampton Inn. I have often stayed in Hampton Inns and enjoy them but this is not the look that I expected to find in a Historic Hotel of America.

Room Tip: enjoy the lobby and dinning areas -- ask for a room with an updated bathroom
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I am disappointed to hear you did not like our guestroom renovations - most of the feedback we've received has been very positive. Our hotel and the park have so much to offer; hopefully you will not let this keep you from staying with us again on your next trip to VT.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for just one night when we had to be in the area for a work trip. We really like the kind of place that is not a chain hotel and completely homogenized but has something individual about it. The Gideon Putnam was that kind of place, with a sense of place and history. We would stay again and maybe visit the area for vacation.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ces563
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback - and yes, absolutely, we hope you decide to return for vacation. The Saratoga Spa State park has so much to offer year-round - from the hotel, to swimming/hiking/biking/tennis in the park, the Roosevelt Baths & Spa and the healing mineral springs, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, the Saratoga Automobile Museum, the National Museum of Dance. Thank you for your appreciation of this unique property!
Westbury, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We just got back from the Putnam and are already talking about making it an annual destination for our Spring vacation. The hotel is historic but not out dated. Our room was comfortable, clean and very quiet due to location within Saratoga Spa State Park. There were some conventions in the hotel but it didn't bother us at all. The hotel has a fitness room which is small but adequate. We got our exercise walking around Saratoga every day. We enjoyed our first stay in the area so much that we extended an extra day - and were grateful that we were able to get the room. We also used the spa services each day of our stay. All I can say about that is Ahhh!

Room Tip: We got a king room on the first floor- I saw pix of others and I'm glad we got what we did.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Ahhh is right! Thank you!

The Gideon Putnam is such a special place, and it is so nice to hear from guests who have newly discovered us and all we have to offer - from the hotel, to swimming/hiking/biking/tennis in the park, the Roosevelt Baths & Spa and the healing mineral springs, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, the Saratoga Automobile Museum, the National Museum of Dance... Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your weekend and for considering us as your annual Spring vacation destination!