“A piece of history”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Upstate NY
“A piece of history”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent 2 days here at NYPA conference. My room on the 4th floor was adequate, but be aware the walls are very thin. The water pressure was not good - too many showers at the same time, I guess - but that is to be expected in an old hotel. The staff was great! The food was very good. The setting is peaceful. Just a nice old hotel from the heyday of taking the waters at Saratoga.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We take pride in our great customer service and I know our staff really appreciates hearing that from you, so thank you! I hope you had time during your conference weekend to get out in the Park, or to relax with a mineral bath or massage over at Roosevelt Baths & Spa. I apologize for the thin walls and not so great water pressure. Unfortunately, you are correct - these are the challenges we face as a historic hotel, especially when our house is full with conference guests and everyone is getting ready at the same time in the morning. Please accept our sincerest apologies for anything less than a perfect stay. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your feedback with us. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Key West, Florida
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our daughter is attending Skidmore as a freshman and we decided to visit her over the Easter weekend. We booked a stay at the Gideon Putnam resort. We loved being so close to Saratoga Springs but overlooking a wonderful rural landscape. It's not often we check into a hotel and the view out the window is woods! We also loved that we could bring our lab. It made the weekend so much less stressful for us in terms of planning. The Sunday brunch was relaxed yet elegant. Delicious food! And the staff were nothing but warm and gracious. We will definitely be back. We have already shared our positive experience with several friends who may also visit. Just a wonderful weekend from start to finish!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, in a spacious and lovely room facing the back of the hotel.
1 Thank Donna D
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for letting us play host while you visited your daughter at Skidmore Easter weekend. When you have an enjoyable, relaxing weekend, it simply means we are doing our job right... and that makes us happy. Thank you for choosing the Gideon Putnam and we hope to see you (and your lab!) many times in the future.
Galway, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had Easter Brunch at the Gideon Putnam - EXCELLENT -
Omlette station - carving station - the seafood newburg is the best along with many other dishes to pick from - service was very good - reservations are recommended - the Easter Bunny was there too!!
The area is beautiful - all the pine trees.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Easter Brunch is very popular at the Gideon Putnam - we played host to more than 650 people (and the Easter Bunny) this year. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the food and excellent service from our staff. Please consider joining us for either Mother's Day Brunch, Father's Day Brunch... or both! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel is old and in good shape. Rooms are comfortable and modern. Bathrooms are basic and small (not the overdone mega bathes found in most resorts). The food at the restaurant is very well done and reasonably priced. Lovely grounds with pool and tennis in season. The Roosevelt Spa is the real jewel. Beautiful 30s bulding that has been refreshed and turned into a full service luxury spa. Treatments are not crazy expensive. Expert staff. And the spring water is available on tap - slightly fizzy and delicious! Don't forget a bath!

Room Tip: the standard queen was just fine - more than adequate.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your stellar review, and for your appreciation of the historic charm of this beautiful property built in 1935. There is so much to do here in the Saratoga Spa State Park, and we have to agree, Roosevelt Baths & Spa is a true gem. The healing power of the waters are legendary, and in their heyday, the bath houses would see upwards of 200,000 people per year for prescribed treatments from their doctors - either to bathe in or to drink the waters. We continue in this tradition, but as you mentioned, we are also a full-service spa. Come back to the Gideon - a day of healing and relaxation awaits!!
NY
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Gideon Putnam needs to hire "friendlier" people to staff their reservations / front desk. The young man who took my reservation wasn't the most helpful -- sounded like he just wanted to get me off the phone. His "are you serious?" pauses before he answered each question finally made me hang up and go online to do my own research. Questions that the Gideon Putnam staff could have answered in five minutes took me over an hour to find online. Note to Staff: If you don't want to answer guest questions, at least SOUND like you want to. Later in the week, the two ladies at the front desk exchanged glances at my (I thought) friendly exchanges, didn't return my smiles, and gave off a general "I'm kinda busy here" feeling that was uncomfortable. On the opposite end of the spectrum: restaurant and spa staff -- nice, friendly, helpful. Gideon Putnam - your front desk is what we encounter first. It might be wise to make that a good experience for your guests .... even if your guests are obnoxious!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I am so sorry we failed to provide you with the level of customer service that you deserve. Not to make excuses or pass the buck, but it is likely you were speaking to Central Reservations when you booked your stay with us. The Gideon Putnam is managed by Delaware North Companies, and because we operate many properties across the country, we have a central reservations number for all of our properties. They are very knowledgeable and should have known the answers to your questions, so I apologize for the inconvenience. I am glad you found our restaurant and spa staff to be friendly and helpful, and surprised you did not encounter the same with our front desk staff - they normally receive high praise. I will be sure to share your comments with our Rooms Division Manager. Good or bad, we need to hear from you, so we thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback.
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at the Gideon Putnam for a weekend in March 2013. We were in Saratoga Springs a couple of years ago and stayed at a bed & breakfast that was nice, and had lunch at the Gideon Putnam during that stay that convinced us to stay at the Gideon Putnam the next time we were in Saratoga. We were not disappointed!. We had a Bed, Bath & Breakfast package that gave us breakfast each morning in the restaurant, and then mineral baths for each of us at the Roosevelt Spa. We think the mineral baths are great, and we specifically picked this package so that we could get a bath each day we stayed at the Gideon Putnam. The hotel is lovely and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. The food at the restaurant is very good. Also, our room was very comfortable and clean. This is a great location if you want to be in the Saratoga Springs State Park since the hotel is right in the park. If you prefer to be in downtown Saratoga Springs, then you should probabaly pick a hotel in the downtown area, although it is only a short drive down Route 9 into downtown Saratoga.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
What a pleasure to receive your feedback. Thank you for letting us play host to what sounds like a wonderful weekend - we are so glad you enjoyed our hotel and restaurant, your mineral baths and the beautiful Saratoga Spa State Park. It is good to know that the impression we made years ago influenced your decision to come back and stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
New York
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The room, location and services were very good. The building is charming and warm, this is not a contemporary location- it's historic so I expected things to be older. The staff was quick to assist and made our dinner reservation before we asked. We appreciated this attention. Here is where I was disappointed, the room deodorizer was overwhelming, now I had read in other reviews that the rooms smelled so perhaps this was an effort to cover the odors, it was not a pleasant smell and got worse over time. I had my husband put the incense sticks in the bathroom so we could get some fresh air. I was looking forward to taking the shuttle and learned at check in after asking that the shuttle was not running; this bothered me because I had specifically asked on their online chat function if it would be running Tuesday and until what hours to which I was told yes and it ran until 11:00. Finally my husband and I rushed back to the hotel to have an after dinner drink at Putnams which we read would be open until 11:00 and actually was closed by the time we got back at 10:40. While none of these individual things would bother me, together I was disappointed. The staff seemed so attentive that taking a moment to tell guests at check in that in the off season hours or services may vary would have made sense. I've stayed in many hotels that give guests a rundown of site amenities and hours of service. This knowledge may have influenced my decisions if I had known at check in or prior.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelingkris75
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your honest review. We are so glad to hear how much you loved the historic charm of our hotel, our services and our location within the park. I am disappointed to learn, however, that you were effected by the fragrance infuser in your guest room. I am so sorry. Please make us aware of your sensitivity to fragrances prior to your arrival and we can make arrangements to have them removed, or while you are here, we'd be happy to find you another room. As far as the shuttle service downtown and our bar closing 20 minutes early, I apologize for those things as well. Staffing a hotel in the off-season is tricky, and it is entirely based on occupancy, both in the hotel and in Putnam's bar/restaurant. Please forgive us for cutting your night short - I know that must have been disappointing. We hope to meet all your expectations on your next visit.