“Dirty Place”

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Boston, MA
“Dirty Place”
Reviewed February 13, 2009

Visited Saratoga for a wedding. Hilton is right on the main strip close to restaurants, shopping, etc.. Hotel has a very "corporate" feel. Not dissimilar to other Hiltons. From the website pictures, I expected the hotel to have a hip modern feel. It is contemporary feel but not hip, very sterile. (Hehe.. Its not the W Saratoga) When we pulled up to the hotel, door staff are wearing plain clothes North Face jacket with no nametag. I wasn't sure if the person I was talking to really worked at the hotel. When I asked him to take our 2 bags out of the car, the gentleman did not seam too excited about it. Front Desk was nice at check in. When we rode the elevator to our room, we stopped at a few floors to get upstairs. Each floor is appointed with dark carpeting and it was obvious that the carpet had not been vacuumed. Dirt, was everywhere. Our room had dark modern furniture, that again showed all the dust in the room. Desk end tables had a thick level of dust. I mean if they are not going to clean they should have lighter carpets and furniture that does not show everything. I found garbage from the last person under the bed. The glasses in the bathroom were not cleaned, still had the last person's toothpaste. While I was taking a shower, the handle fell off the wall. I found the room completely disgusting and could not wait to leave. It is obvious that they do not clean well. I really wanted to report these issues to the front desk but my traveling companion did not want to make a fuss. So I said that I would fill out the comment card in the room. (Usually at most Hiltons) Oh wait.... there was no comment card. Obviously they do not put a comment card in the room because they know there is problems and they do not want to fix them. So I said that I would only report the problems if they asked me how everything was at check out. The front desk person never even bothered to ask me how the stay was. This is when I truly realized they do not care. So I decided that I would not waste my time telling them. Now I receive e-mails al the time from the hotel telling me about specials to come back. I have decided to post a review on tripadvisor because i am insulted they would ask for more $ for me to come back without even asking me how my visit was.

I saw other reviews that there was a concierge. The concierge desk had no person and a self service computer. The staff are not knowledgeable about the area. We were running late for a wedding and the Front Desk could not give me easy directions to the church. Instead they spent 10 min mapquesting the church. Mapquest took us on a big circle to get there. It was our fault that we were running late but I expect the hotel to have easily accessible basic information on churches in area without having to mapquest.

We attended a wedding at the Longfellows Hotel. Beautiful old hotel, saw a few of my friends rooms there. Much nicer but not walking distance to the main strip. Hilton Garden Inn is down on the other side of the strip. We drove by it. One person attending the wedding stayed there and said it was great. I can't say for myself because I never went inside.

Hilton is so dicey as a chain. Some are run well and some are not. The following week I stayed at New York City Hilton and the room was immaculately clean. Don't make the same mistake.... Spent $180. Not worth it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
astow, Manager at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, February 20, 2009
The Saratoga Hilton welcomes all constructive feed back from our guests. This information is truly valvued as a tool to improve the operation of the hotel. Prompt reporting of incidences where we failed to meet your expectations is also important so we may address any deficiency with a high sense of urgency. It is noted that your stay with us was in November of 2008.
All guest rooms and public spaces within our property are routinely cleaned and inspected daily in accordance with Hilton standards. In an effort to comply with Hilton's 'Green Initiative", paper comment cards are no longer placed in the guest rooms. Our guests are randomly emailed survey forms so they may evaluate their stay. If at any time during their stay a guest encounters a problem or has a concern they are encouraged to notify us and it will be addressed appropriately.
Finally, a concierge is on staff during July and August which is the thoroughbred racing season. Any other time our Guest Service Associates are trained to assist guests with their questions. We also have a self service kiosk in the lobby providing local information and directions accessible 24-hours a day.
Once again, we sincerely appreciate your commments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Upstate New York
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I stayed one night at the Saratoga Hilton. I was glad that I had looked at the directions for the parking lot right before I left. I had to drive around the block searching for Maple Ave to locate the entrance to the parking lot. There was ample parking and I felt my car was safe in the lot. Check in was very easy and fast. The room was spacious and very comfortable. My neighbors were loud or the walls are really thin, I could hear them talking late into the night. I was also staying at this hotel during a snow storm, so I heard the snow plow on the road outside come by every 10 minutes, not to mention the kids racing up and down the hallway. The pool was ok, the temperature was warm and there were plenty of towels available. My complaint is I was lucky I unrolled the towel before I used it, a large spider crawled out of the towel..ewww. The next morning I was attending a conference at the hotel. The rooms set aside for the meeting were adequate. The continental breakfast was disappointing. I was eating a plain baggle and as I broke it into several pieces I noticed green mold on the inside of the bagel, not my ideal breakfast. The rest of the food this day was great but breakfast was not so great. Would I stay here again? If there was another conference here I probably would for the convenience if I travel here for leisure, no I wouldn't.

• Liked — convenience to meeting rooms
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
astow, Executive Chef at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, January 15, 2009
The Saratoga Hilton complies with all New York State Board of Health rules and regulations regading food preparation and roatation. Bakery items are shipped and stored frozen until the day of the event to ensure quality of the product.
If a guest has a great event, tell everyone ! If there is a concern tell us, and we will address it immediately.

Travelers are raving about these Saratoga Springs hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Booked a last minute room for $94 and was a great value. Despite looking dated from the outside, the rooms were modern and very clean. Nice stay all around and certainly average or slightly above average for a Hilton property. The location is really tops, the entire town is walkable from the hotel. $10 for parking seems a little outrageous given the location, especially in winter; however, it is par for the course with major hotel chains.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Glens Falls
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I booked a 3 day, 4 night convention at this property through Joanna Alves, sales manager. She is one of the most professional people I ever dealt with and the conference went without a hitch. For anyone who ever plans such an event, this is usually not the case. Additionally, every employee of this hotel went out of their way to be courteous and as helpful as can be to every member of our organization.
I had a personal issue that resulted in me going to the hospital. I was having a medical problem when another employee of the hotel, John Childs, approached me when he noticed I was having a problem. He immediately took control of the situation and had an ambulance dispatched and gave reassurance and comfort to my wife and colleagues during this period. All the employees at this location should be recognized for their excellence in service and in particular, Joanne and John.
I would not hesitate recommending this hotel and its accomodations to anyone.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Memphis, TN
Reviewed September 12, 2008

I stayed at the Saratoga Hilton to attend a Banking Convention, but will definitely return. It is only about a block away from all of the many restaurants and bars, but much quieter. I never realized how much nightlife this town of 27,000 offered! And a cab ride to the race track is very cheap. The accomodations are generally good, in fact more than adequate considering you will not be in your room very much when you stay there! Across the street is a nice quik mart to stock the room with beer/soda/chips.

Be sure to ask to speak with their Journey Ambassador John Childs. He is well connected in the city and can tell you where to go and who to ask for. Nice job John!

Douglas
Memphis, TN

• Liked — Conveniently Located to the nightlife district
  • Disliked — TV's need to be upgraded to Hi Def Flat Screens
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Delmarva
Reviewed September 2, 2008

While some aspects of the hotel may not be quite up to Hilton standards (somewhat older smaller rooms, Hilton in-room books describing services not available) we were very pleased with our stay. The rooms were both comfortable and clean. KO the concierge was very helpful as were all of the staff, and Chez Sophie, the on-site restaurant was excellent. We liked the location and even though we had a third floor room on the main drag we could shut out the noise bt closing the window. The self parking was convenient even if the $15 charge was starting to approach city rates. (It was dropped to $10 the day after Labor Day. Inflated prices are part of Saratoga's season. We liked the location as well and would certainly stay again.

• Liked — Staff, location
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
cape cod
Reviewed August 28, 2008

we had booked a number of rooms for an event in saratoga
staying 3 days. The rooms, dining, reception were all
exceptional.
Any concerns were addressed immediately, Upon entering,
the valets were efficient, the front desk had my room ready,
they were friendly and professional.
They have what they call a junior ambassador to the hotel
in the front lobby, Mr Childs, who bent over backwards to
accomodate our group in any way he could. Upon entering
the hotel one day my hands were full, he immediately
took my bags and escorted me to my room. One in our
group had lost his bags for a few days and he rounded up
some golf shoes and shorts for him,,, i was amazed as it
wasnt the hotels fault. He was in the front lobby and his
job is to take concerns and to remedy them which he did
outstandingly.
I also wanted to praise the manager John Tito, who went
out of his way to help me with a booking at another hotel
as I wanted to stay another day and they had no availablity.
He contacted the staff as he knew them, got me an
exceptional rate etc...
A great overall experience,,,,, the people is what certainly
make this hotel and stay a great stay.
they also have non smoking rooms and did accomodate
a traveler with dogs.....
I felt this was a 5 star experience.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing