“Loved Saratoga and the Hilton”

The Saratoga Hilton
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Latham
“Loved Saratoga and the Hilton”
Reviewed June 5, 2008

The Hilton is in a great location to walk out to the shops and attractions on Broadway. Room was spacious, clean and well appointed.

Stayed June 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
rhode island
Reviewed May 30, 2008

My friends had a wedding reception at the hotel. Although the actual reception was lovely and the service during this event was great. The stay and check in did not go over as well. Upon arrival at 3pm (are scheduled check in time) they told us the two rooms we have reserved were not ready. This was a major problem considering the wedding ceremony started at 4pm and we had to get dressed. After asking about options we were given one room and could "possibly" check in later. however, they would not be adjoining since they never actually guarantee this its only something that they try to do. A fact that was not conveyed to us 3 months prior when we booked the rooms.
Several of my other friends were not able to get into their rooms even though they had been there for several hours; most changing in bathrooms and shaving in those sinks.
After we returned from the wedding at 5pm we were finally able to check in to our second room. I was also told i was not able to speak to a manager to ask about this issue.
Upon check out the only excuse we were given is that they were busy. A hotel that has two weddings booked the same weekend should not be surprised at the business but instead prepare in advance.
I would not try to book this hotel, there are many others for a better price in the area.

• Stayed May 2008

Travelers are raving about these Saratoga Springs hotels

New York
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I loved the website description of the hotel and saw a few reviews once I booked the trip for the memorial day weekend. Unfortunately there were 2 weddings taking place at the hotel that the hotel staff was not equipped to handle. I booked a non-smoking room, which was clearly marked on the outside of the room, but as soon as I opened the door, the smell hit me. I explained to the staff that due to allergies I could not stay in the room and they said that they were sorry; there was nothing that they could do but provide me with an ionizer. They did offer to call other hotels for me, at my own request, and the Courtyard Marriott was available. The rate was cheaper and it wasn't on Broadway so I was concerned, but right away I was glad that I stayed at the Marriott - the rooms were bigger, fresher and much much quieter. In all my years of travelling I've never been forced to go elsewhere - thanks to The Saratoga Hilton. If offered the opportunity to go back there for free - I would pass.

• Liked — The website
  • Disliked — The Hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3sticks
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I have family who has lived in Saratoga since before this place was built. This hotel has gone through many owners, most recently landing as a Hilton. The signage on the doors ect all says Hilton, but there are still remnants of the previous owners and name, The Saratoga Hotel, on items such as the room keys. I stayed in junior suite. The room was large and had a loveseat, 2 chairs & coffee table in additon to the normal room furniture. There were a couple of light bulbs out - not a big deal unless you are trying to read at night. The window coverings do not cover all of the window which left sleeping a chore. As soon as the sun came up (about 5 am) the room was flooded with light. This was an East facing room which made this a little worse. This is one of the only BIG hotels located right on Broadway and is attached to the City Center where there are always large groups. The night I stayed here there was a large group of high school kids staying. There was lots of nioise throughout the building and running through the halls. This continued until a securitiy guard was stationed in the hall to keep them all in their rooms for the night. In the morning I noticed someone had covered ALL the peep holes on all the doors with tape. They also placed tape across each door jam so they could see whose door had been opened, presumably to catch the kids sneaking into other rooms. This wasn't a great night - topped off by the fact that they all started stirring at 5:30am for an early departure. As this is the only "game" in town, it is my guess that this hotel is often subject to this sort of night. Other than that, I knew going into the stay that the price was going to be high. was a little shocked that the room ended up costing me in the neighborhood of $270 for the night (and I stayed 2 nights), $50 less if I stayed in a normal room. Other family members stayed in a B&B near the track that was elegant and lovely and they paid $150 for a good night sleep. At the Hilton, you are paying for the name. if you don't care about the frequent flyer miles, there are better choices.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Too Noisy & expensive
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2008

I visited the Saratoga Hilton for a professional convention. Upon arrival, the hotel parking lot was full, with cars overflowing into the aisleways and along the driving lanes which, as I was told when I checked with the front desk, is the norm during the daytime hours when they are hosting a convention. I inquired about alternate parking & the staff was unable to direct me to any other lot, suggesting that I "drive around & find a spot on the street" (no easy task in Saratoga). After a significant amount of time dealing with parking, I found a spot and had to walk back to the hotel in the pouring rain (I took a second rain soaked walk that evening when I had to go retrieve my car & move it to the hotel lot). For a hotel that caters to conventions, I was shocked by the lack of adequate parking facilities for guests but even more shocked that there was no valet alternative and that the staff was unable to assist!

The "Signature Suite" room I had was adequate, with a spacious floor plan, sitting area, and desk with free WiFi. Conversely, the bathroom was extremely small and the tub was in need of some renovation. For some reason, housekeeping had set the temperature of the room to 65 degrees, which made for extremely uncomfortable conditions for quite a while after I arrived and reset the thermometer. There is no option to choose "cool" or "heat" on the climate control so the unit loudly turns on and off constantly as the temperature of the room fluctuates; something that became especially annoying during the nighttime hours when I was trying to sleep.

The lunches served at the convention were lackluster and far overpriced ($25 for a small salad with three slices of beef and a piece of cheesecake). The room service breakfast was fine and priced as you'd expect to pay for room service. The dinner I ordered from the hotel's supposedly renouned restaurant, Chez Sophie, on the other hand was disappoointing (the bread included with the cheese & charcuterie assortment was stale and the salami included was of no better quality than grocery lunch meat; the nearly flourless chocolate cake should have been called "nearly tasteless").

Overall, the hotel was adequate and, while my expectations of a convention situation are generally set quite low, I do expect my basic needs to be accomodated and, in this case, even more so as a diamond level Hilton loyalty program member.

• Liked — Spacious room
  • Disliked — Inadequate parking facilities/options
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2008

My office had a business conference at this hotel last week with about 25 conference attendees. The guest rooms were clean and relatively spacious, altough my bathroom was in need of renovation. My only real complaint about my guest room is that the climate control unit was very loud.

This hotel was recently merged with Hilton and the old sign was removed but no new sign set up, so it was hard to find from the road. Other problems arising from merger were that pre-merger reservations were not easily processed. When I called to add a night on to my stay, there was significant confusion and delay. Also, I was told that they could not give me a confirmation number. Many of our conference attendees were told by the reservations department that they could not find our conference rate and/or had other problems. In general, there was a lot of confusion with the reservation department.

We had a conference in one of the meeting rooms and had to repeatedly ask for beverage service which we pre-arranged. When it finally arrived, it was just some sodas in an ugly gray tub. Climate control in the meeting room was difficult, the thermostat was locked and it was ususally too hot or too cold. Although the room was spacious, we were packed together at tables that were too small for our group, which was actually slightly less than the number which we had pre-arranged.

We also thought it was a bit unusual that no one but the front desk clerks greeted us and/or asked us if we needed anything for the conference during the entire three days of the conference.
The one department which was particularly helpful was the audio-visual department. However, they told us we could use the business center computers, only to be told by another hotel staffer (in a rude manner) that the audio-visual person was incorrect and we could not use those computers.

In general, this is a fine place to stay but they need to work out some issues arising from the merger and need to be a bit more involved with their meetings.

• Liked — guest room
  • Disliked — hard to find - no sign
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Alcibiades
LasVegas
Reviewed April 9, 2008

We stayed at the Saratoga Hilton last weekend and had a perfect experience. The hotel was packed but it didn't stop the staff from attending to all of our needs. We had a King room and the bed is the best I have ever stayed in. Expect a great nights rest. Even with a full hotel the hallways were quiet. I would have liked a place to have a quick breakfast other than the french restaurant, which is very overpriced for breakfast (didn't check out the diner menu). The front desk suggested Comptons a few of blocks away. Don't let the picnic atmosphere fool you. It was a great breakfast, quick and inexpensive. Also, don't confuse the Saratoga Hilton with the Saratoga Hilton Gardens. You want the one in the heart of town next to the City Center. I can't wait to go back. I wished we could have stayed longer.

Stayed April 2008