“Disappointing”

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Not being familiar with the Saratoga HIlton, I had some high expectations. I've stayed in several hotels around the country, but not an actual "Hilton" (which is different from their "HIlton Garden Inn" chain, for example).

For some perspective on my review, a few friends and I had just stayed at a Comfort Inn, a much less "fancy" hotel chain, in Saugerties, NY, for two nights prior to arriving at the HIlton in Saratoga.

There had been a snow storm a couple days prior to our arrival, which is common in December in upstate NY, but in the hotel's lot only the road between the parking spaces had been plowed, not the rows of spaces themselves. (I'm 42, and earlier in my life I lived in Albany, NY for 10 years. Snow and plows and shoveling out your car is just something you do upstate, but I didn't expect a parking in lot in such terrible shape a couple days after a storm, especially at this hotel). Fortunately we were in a 4WD vehicle, but still, climbing in and out of your car in a couple inches of snow and ice is frustrating. They had also not salted the closest path leading to the part of the lot where we were, so that was slippery too, in addition to the unplowed parking spots.

While unloading the car and heading back to the hotel, we noticed the door swipes to grant access (in the shorter ways, instead of the actual front of the hotel) weren't working. One door, in fact, was missing the hardware to slide the card into, though the box to hold that hardware was mounted by the door.

Back in the room, the lack of convenient electrical outlets was immediately noticeable. We were surprised that the room at the HIlton had less charging options for our electronics than the Comfort Inn did.

Not a few hours after our check in we saw that the elevator we'd used to get upstairs was now out of service. While we hoped it would be fixed in the 18 hours or so prior to our check out, it wasn't, so we had to carry all of our things down the stairs at check out. (There was likely another elevator further away we could have walked to, but they we have to carry all our stuff through the hotel, and then back around the outside of the hotel too. We decided it wasn't worth the haul.)

The bathroom was nice: big-tiled floor, black marble countertop, great water pressure, but once we used the shower it was obvious that the vent wasn't working, so the steam from the shower condensed onto every cool surface in the bathroom, from the floor to the toilet to the countertop to the sink fixtures and the mirror. We decided maybe we shouldn't be charging our phones in the bathroom, as they got some condensation on them too.

To sum up, we only stayed one night, and none of us were impressed, especially considering the cost involved in staying at a Hilton. If we weren't so looking forward to going home after a busy trip, and we had been staying more than just the 18 hours or so we were in town, I would absolutely have made my concerns known, and most likely insisted on a different room, or a discount on our rate, or both.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jason L
AStowe, Manager at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Jason L,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I sincerely apologize for your less than satisfactory experience during your visit with us. Please know that we do value your feedback and take it very seriously.

I am sorry you did not let us know that you were not happy with your stay or your room so that your concerns could be immediately addressed and corrected. I particularly regret the impact the snow had upon your stay, as we did have the most of the lot cleared, however there were a few parking spaces initially occupied and it was necessary to come back and clear those spots after the guests checked out.

The guests safety and security is our top priority here at the Saratoga Hilton, you mentioned the door swipes not working. During the day the door is in the unlocked mode and after dark it is put in the locked mode requiring the guest key to open. The one lock you mentioned that was missing the hardware is actually not an entrance but rather an emergency exit from a stairwell.

I’m sorry you didn’t find the electrical outlets in your room more apparent. There are three
outlets on the front right hand side of the desk, there is a duplex on the right hand side of the TV stand and a duplex on either side of the bed.

Please accept our apologies for the elevator being out of service. It was broken New Years Eve and with the holiday we were unable to have it back in service until January 2nd. We do have two other elevators that access the main lobby area. One of our bell staff would have been happy to assist you with your luggage.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review. Our team takes great pride in what we do, and knowing that we did not meet your expectations concerns us. We have extremely high standards in all areas of our hotel, and these issues will be discussed with our staff. We hope to see you in the future, and if you would like to discuss your concerns further, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Norfolk
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Saratoga Hilton is in a great location. From the front door it's just steps away from restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and boutique shopping. Though it was very cold, I took advantage of the opportunity to walk up the street for dinner each evening. My room was clean and was located on the back side of the hotel. My co-worker and i ate breakfast in the in-house restaurant "The Springs". I enjoyed toast, bacon, eggs and coffee for about $9.00. I used my co-workers Hilton Honors coupon one morning for a discount of 6.00.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
john f, Front Office Manager at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
TravelerGurlNorfolk,

Thank you for the great review of the Saratoga Hilton! I hope your New Years was funfilled and you're ready to start on your resolutions!

We can't wait to see you again!

Albany, New York, United States
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We got a "Saratoga" room here for a couples retreat conference. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. Maid service good. You have to get used to the noise of the cars on the street. since the rooms are on that side. I would suggest if that bothers you, to request one on the rear of the building. Our biggest disappointment was probably the room service - we put our request on the door handle at night, and we never got any service for the morning breakfast. So we had to make a dash for the little store they have for coffee and whatever else we could call breakfast.
We did get take out lunch from the restaurant and that was good and fairly priced.

Room Tip: ask for rear of building
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
john f, Front Office Manager at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Jeff D,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on TA. As many readers know, researching and seeking advice from travelers like you, can ultimately lead to a better experience.

Next time you book, please feel free to reach out to me first. I would be more than happy to try and make sure we can accomodate your needs!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Hilton should patrol floors on weekend nights to keep noise down. We encountered a lot of drinkers wandering room to room slamming doors and yelling or talking loud. Carrying open beers and being completely inconsiderate of other guests.One man was so drunk he went on a ten minute tirade screaming and cursing at his wife or girlfriend until finally security quieted him. And he was one floor below me. A guest should not have to call the front desk since this type of behavior is nothing new. Like I said a little patrol once an hour would be the right way to run that hotel. Not to mention the noise housekeeping generates at 8 am. I will not stay at another Hilton. Sorry. Even for free I would not stay at any Hilton owned property.
And their dog policy is a joke. Too many big dogs, and the owners are permitted to take over the lobby with large and numerous dogs. I had to ask 2 people with dogs to move away from my door at 7 am as they decided it was a great spot to stop and play with their dogs. Never again will I stay at a Hilton. The breakfast buffet was inedible, cold and poorly presented.

Room Tip: I had a suite and the noise from the hallway, especially slamming doors was intolerable at all hours...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John W
AStowe, Manager at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
John,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand that noise was an issue during your stay; while we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods - we regret that noise was disruptive to you. I apologize that you're comfort was interrupted by other guests and their four-legged friends and I have shared your review with our security team. I do hope the next time you return to the area you will consider staying with us again so we might show you the quality service and accommodations you deserve.

Travelers are raving about these Saratoga Springs hotels

Valleystream
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Staff was wonderful. Expensive breakfast buffet($17pr person),mid priced menu prices. Room was clean. Hotel Mgr is a gem of a man. Good location for shopping,restaurants,social activities,train station. Nice bar,drinks expensive BUT the CHEF is AMAZING...food is terffific!!!! His name is Gregory and he can cook..OMG!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sooze1Valleystream
Sooze1ValleyStream,

Thank you for writing such a great review on TA! I'm not sure which our our managers you met, Shawn or Andrew, but both are great leaders that help provide direction and motivation to the rest of our staff, which in turn provides you with a great experience!

Also, thank you for taking the time to recognize Gregory! I will be sure to let him know that you took the time to recognize him in a TA review and we'll reward him the way Hilton knows how to treat their employees!

We look forward to you coming back and Happy Holidays!

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a conference. I'm a diamond member, but no upgrade, no paper, and only the cold breakfast. Really minimal for a Hilton. Facilities were dated, but functional. While this hotel has a conference center, it is not what I would call a business-class hotel. Staff was friendly, other than the night manager who seemed put off that I asked for a full breakfast as a diamond....oh we'll....I would stay again if another conference was he, but likely wouldn't stay here otherwise if in town. I would seriously look at other options anyway...

Stayed November 2012
FLDorman,

Thank you for the review. From what you wrote, I know that we were just one small thing, here and there, from making your experience so much better.

Unfortunately, this is my only sounding board to reach out to you because when you write a review, TA protects your confidentiality. At your earliest convenience, could you reach out to me so we can review your last stay and discuss about your next one. As a diamond member, we value you as a treasured guest, and you should expect nothing less.

I hope to hear from you soon and Happy Holidays!

Truly,

New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I travel a lot, and stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the world -- among them were a handful of Hilton Hotels. It is with great disappointment that I say The Saratoga Hilton is one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in my life. Where do I even begin? The sink in the bathroom dripped all day and night, the toilet when flushed would not stop running...fixed only by jiggling the handle. The blinds that covered the windows looked like old, rolled up sleeping bags you'd find in your parents attic. Just to raise and lower them was a chore you'd think more suitable for the middle ages, not the 21st century. Then there were the beds. The room had two double beds which were both very uncomfortable, and to add insult to injury, creaked like the steps in a haunted Victorian mansion. You'd think that'd be the end of it...but hang on, it gets worse.

On Tuesday I slept in late...till 1 p.m. to be exact. I readied myself to leave for the afternoon, and called the front desk. Here was the conversation. "Yes, hello I'm in room 245, could you please send housekeeping up to clean the room?" "Why yes sir, I'll contact them and make sure that your room is the next one they get to." "Thank you." Keep this in mind. When they cleaned the previous day, they had NOT emptied our garbage can. So, at this point the garbage can was filled to the top and in desperate need of removal.

I return at 4:30 p.m. As I'm walking down the hallway I thought to myself "wouldn't it just be hilarious if I open that door and the room is untouched? It would just be the icing on the cake". I opened the door. Housekeeping NEVER came. I think my blood pressure shot up 50 points. I immediately call the front desk and there was barely any apology or regret in their voice. They simply told me "well, there's not much we can do since housekeeping has left so we can let the porter come up and tidy it up, but he won't do as good a job." So yes, the PORTER cleaned my room about as well as your teenage son might clean his room. I even overheard him tell his co-worker "ummm...we don't have any garbage bags...". A hotel that doesn't have garbage bags? Are you kidding me?? He did somehow manage to secure one however, but the statement had my jaw on the ground. It's a shame about this property, because I've stayed at Hilton's that did a solid job, but this one is a disaster and I most likely will avoid ever staying at a Hilton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family