“Missed Opportunities”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
San Antonio, United States
“Missed Opportunities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel is fine and the price is very good for the area and the season. We had a problem with our door latch and had to change rooms. No discount was offered. Then housekeeping left the deadbolt extended and our door was left opened until we returned. Fotunately, nothing was missing. The Hotel is good, the staff just needs to pay a little more attention to detail. They are pleasant and the hotel is nice and in a good location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwsaratoga, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Let me start off by apologizing. It is unacceptable that any member of our house keeping staff would leave a persons door open. This is a breach of our guests safety, and I will be going over this with the member of housekeeping who was responsible.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 518-584-2350.

-Mo Hussain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cuttingsville, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here last week for the third year in a row during our annual trip to Saratoga. My sister is in a wheelchair and the handicap accessible rooms are very comfortable. The staff here is really nice and have been so helpful to us. They come out and assist me with lifting the wheelchair out of the car trunk and let us into the room very early when we arrived late morning. Everything is very clean and the breakfast in the morning has a fair variety. The hotel is only a few miles out of town and quite close to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and the State Park which surrounds it. The building next door, mentioned by another reviewer, is being renovated and that will improve the look of the property. We'll be back every year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

We always encourage our staff to be helpful to our guests when they are in need, so I am very pleased that they helped you with the wheelchair. We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us, and hope you come again!

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 518-584-2350.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey

Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed one night while visiting family in town. A fine enough hotel: clean enough, quiet. Wished it had two sinks (one outside bathroom). Not really near anything and nothing special. No serious complaints either, but would look for something else if I came again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bwsaratoga, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Unfortunately some times our location can be a downside for some guests. In order to get to downtown you cant walk, but we do offer Taxis that are only about 8$! The plus side to not being downtown is you don't have to listen to all the town traffic which can be a bit of a distraction during sleep. We are however the closest hotel to SPAC, which a lot of people enjoy.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Ok room, slightly dated, but good size and clean enough. The hot tub wasn't working, but the pool was fine - although there is a building next to it, which is in the process of renovation?/or left to collapse, not sure which! Breakfast not great, but very busy so we, and several others, took our coffee to the pool surround. Ok for a night stopover. A bit out of town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
bwsaratoga, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I am sorry for not meeting your expectations. We are currently working on adding some better items to our breakfast menu.

The old house is currently under construction and will hopefully be competed within a few months.

Oakland, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel every year for the past 5 or so years as a transit stop on our way to the central Adirondacks. Our last stay was in late July of 2012. We will be leaving soon for Saratoga and another stay at the Best Western "PLUS" before heading north.

As a transit stop, this hotel does pretty much as well as any other. we are not looking for luxury here, but a relatively comfortable bed in a fairly quiet room and the ability to have our dog with us. This hotel meets all these criteria.

We have never had much interaction with the staff except on the phone, so all I can say is that our dealings with them by phone and email have been fine. The hotel is reasonably clean, though I'll never forget the year I found a tick crawling across the floor of our room. Fun! The air conditioning lacks in many of the rooms from what I've read here, but we have never had that problem. In all the years I have stayed at this hotel, the pool has NEVER been open for use during our stay.

One reviewer mentioned that there is also a very dilapidated building on the same site as the hotel and this is true. It definitely takes away from what little ambience the location may have, as the hotel is stuck out on NY Route 9 on the "wrong" side of the park. you either have to walk into town taking about a 2 mile hike through the park and along Broadway(very scenic, at least!), or drive into town. The BBQ place mentioned in one review is across a very busy 4 lane local road. At night you would be taking your life in your hands crossing! Typically, since we know Saratoga fairly well, we take a walk with the dog into town to get snacks and sandwiches at Putnam Market.

Since we stay here during racing season, we also pay an absolutely exorbitant amount of money for our room. Rates during "the season" are usually 3 to 5 times anything you might expect to pay at any other time of year and it's just awful! Other (better) hotels in the area may be worth the price, but not this place at any time of year. Problem is, other hotels take reservations on a year-to-year basis and so it's very hard to find a room at another place in the area during racing.

The breakfast bar is about what I would expect for this level of hotel. Not well stocked or maintained, spotty care to freshening things like coffee and supplies (cream, butter, jam, etc.), but we don't usually have breakfast there, opting instead to go into town for a nice cup at Starbucks and some grocery shopping before heading north.

I have read many of the reviews posted here. I want to mention that they all have a bit of a "cookie cutter" tone to them, right down to using the very same language in most of the replies. This indicates to me that although the reviews may have been read by someone from the hotel, there is little consideration of the complaints or observations stated and little commitment to work hard to improve. Throwing the ball back at the customer by supplying phone numbers for contact is poor business practice and basically says they don't care enough to acknowledge or do anything about the problem(s). I would like to know exactly what the "PLUS" means in the Best Western lexicon, since although this place is adequate to most needs, I see nothing particularly "PLUS" about it.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from Route 9 (the main road)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwsaratoga, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, July 22, 2013

I would like to personally thank you for your suggestions for our hotel. I will make it my mission to respond with my personalized responses.

The old house you saw during your visit is currently being totally remodeled, but for now we understand it doesn't look to appealing. But when its finished we know it will be beautiful suites for our guests to stay in!

Next time you come please speak to the manager so we can make sure your getting the best available rate possible!!!

Jermyn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We arrived late but the wonderful receptionist was great to us and very helpful. I need to find a pharmacy since I had sinus bad . It was too cold to use pool Darn and it looks nice but we found the location great near everything and the Cleanliness of the rooms we liked and comfortable beds and the breakfast was very good. Downtown we loved the Olive Oil shop... We did not have much time passin through but this was a nice stay .

Room Tip: We stated on the first floor and the woman at the desk we really appreciated her help .She should be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you your kind words!!!

I will let the lady who checked you in and out know what you said about her! She will be very pleased! We really enjoyed having you guys and would like you to give us a call any time you would like to come up to Saratoga!

Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Clean and spacious. I had to work in Saratoga Springs for 3 weeks. I had everything I needed at Best Western. I highly recommend staying here. The quality is pretty good but, no restaurant though. There is a great BBQ restaurant across the street. The staff are magnificent! The rooms are nice. The valet was very slow, but we did it anyway since the parking was quite a a while away. This is a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
bwsaratoga, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

We very much enjoyed having you here for your 3 week stay! Next time you are in Saratoga please call us and we will book you with us right away!