“The best ever”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have eaten a lot of Indian food. This is my favorite restaurant to date. I highly recommend The Lamb Korma

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Usually we go to Karavalli in Latham. But this time the craving for Indian food came over us while in Saratoga so a trip to the Caroline Street location, once the home of Mino’s Sushi, was in order.

Beer goes really well with Indian food and Karavalli realizes this because they offer a very nice variety of bottled beers. Our choices were a Sam Smith Taddy Porter and a New Castle Ale ($5 each). We seem to always start off with Mysore Masala Dosa ($10) – it’s that HUGE, thin, rice and lentil crepe filled with spicy potato and served with sambar, tomato chutney and coconut chutney, It is enjoyed in southern India for breakfast, but it makes an excellent appetizer for dinner, especially the spicy Mysore version.

For her entree my wife ordered the Vegetable Chettinadu ($12) – vegetables cooked in spicy black pepper and toasted coconut sauce. While she said it was good, she did not believe it had as much flavor as the preparations she has enjoyed in the Latham location.

I ordered a special dish of the day, Samudra Mix Duck ($24) – the duck was very tasty but it was mostly meat around various bone joints. I don’t believe there was any breast meat included. It was absolutely necessary to eat the duck with your hands. It also came with pancakes that we were told were made from flour that is obtained from some part of a palm tree (sago?) – at least that is what it sounded like our server was telling us. The pancakes were delicious when dipped in the sauce around the duck.

We still consider Karavalli to be the best Indian restaurant in the area, and possibly the only one including southern India dishes.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

The restaurant feels cozy and well managed, with white table cloths even for lunch. The tables were close together, which would make it feel crowded at a busy time. I arrived toward the end of the lunch buffet. While the offerings are not vast, they are varied and all nicely prepared, almost as though in a family home. I enjoyed the lunch buffet and would happily return.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Service was okay, atmosphere dire but for a Monday night what to expect. Menu choice is ok but looked like a lot of sweeter varieties. I opted for a Chicken Makhani with rice and Naan....huge portions.

Quality of the chicken was low - precooked and dry, the sauce as another reviewer mentioned ultra sweet / sickly, flavoring was okay but the sweetness / sugar added took away from the food - Naan and rice nothing to get excited about. Starter samasa - avoid.

Would have been average if the waiter didn't ask if I wanted change back when I paid the bill.... US-tipping culture is out of control - point off for really bad form!!

1  Thank NormPalmer
Reviewed April 27, 2014

First time in Saratoga Springs; looked on tripadvisor for restaurants. One child in family is a vegetarian and wanted Indian food. This was ranked #5 in town, a few block walk off of the Main Street and they had no wait. All of us were hungry so it looked like a perfect fit. The staff was pleasant and efficient, the ambience was nice and the noise level was not too loud or too quiet. The menu was extensive and offered options not always presented on the usual Indian menus. Prices were higher than I'm used to in the Boston area.
The food: mixed here, and it will depend on what you are expecting. The papadum was homemade and very good; the accompanying sauces were flavorful especially the cilantro (looks like the mint sauce that often comes with samosas), but thin in texture. The onion chutney which is usually hot and spicey was sweet. With the other sauces, placed on the papadum, this worked but was different. We tried a strawberry lassi that had an odd taste-- my son who is not a picky eater wouldn't finish it. The main dishes arrived quickly after ordering. Vegetable tikka, chicken tikka and a few others plus some nan bread. All were nicely hot (temperature). Here is the main observation-----these were also sweet like the onion chutney and more red colored than the typical orange color. Again, not bad but not usual. The bite of the acid for the tomato that is usually there was missing. After awhile it was too much sweet flavor. In trying to identify the taste, we decided it was similar to Campbell's creamy tomato soup or the effect of adding ketchup to a dish. I don't mind this taste in general but not for my tikka masala. If you are watching your blood sugars, this would not be a good option; but if you have a sweet tooth this might just be the ticket. If you had good Indian food in other cities, you might be surprised that this was the number 5 ranked restaurant in the city. I rated it as okay based on the above. Of the 2 places we visited in town ( many were closed because of Easter Sunday), we like Olde Bryan Inn better. Different style of food but overall better meal.

2  Thank Jerrod J