“Indian brunch buffet”

Karavalli - Regional Cuisine of India
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Oceanside, New York
“Indian brunch buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Had brunch here on a Sunday and discovered it was buffet only. Was worried since my stomach was upset and I didn't want anything too spicy and was pleasantly surprised by all the choices. Most dishes were extrememly mild, yet flavorful and all was labelled to clearly identify the dish and ingredients. Service was pretty fast and is good if you want a quick meal. They brought lots of naan to the table and while one plate of food was enough for me, I noticed several people going back a few times for more food.

Visited September 2013

Catskill, New York
“A local favorite for taste, quality, and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

In my experience, Indian friends always vote for Karavalli when office or other get-togethers are in the works, and my experience says to listen to them. I have been here with them, as well as with people who have spent time in India, and picky eaters and folks who are skeptical of "real" Asian food, and after eating, one and all are ready to put Karavalli's take-out number on speed-dial.
It's an open secret locally that the lunch buffet here is the best deal in town. There is nothing even remotely close to it for value and quality. Same goes for the takeout menu.
Note - the kitchen assumes you want your food prepared with only the mildest possible heat unless you specify otherwise.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful Gem in Downtown Saratoga Springs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have been going up to Saratoga Springs twice a year now for about the past 12+ years (Jazz Festival in June and Travers in August)...always with a group and eating out daily during our visits. As a picky vegetarian with several food allergies living in NYC, selection and quality are high up on my preferences when dining out.

After a long drive up from the city in weekend traffic (And, just not any weekend traffic...Travers Weekend traffic!), the last thing we wanted to do was to get back into the car and drive around looking for parking on the most congested weekend of the year. So...I yelped restaurants within walking distance of the house we rented for the week. Two Indian Restaurants showed up in my search. I love Indian food...I was thrilled! It was late and my husband was not in the mood to "experiment", so it took some persuading on my part. I won. (For the record...I usually do not win these decisions.)

Karavalli is on Caroline St, 3 blocks off of Broadway and we were told that they've been in business for about 7 years now(?)...never even knew this little gem existed. There is street parking. (Which is the norm for the restaurants in the downtown area.) No outside seating. (Which, is what we usually look for during the Summer months, but it was not a priority for us on this particular evening...we just wanted to eat!) They have waiter service and a full bar.

The staff was pleasant and quite attentive.

The menu was eclectic. They have a good sea & land lovers menu, but are also vegan and vegetarian-friendly, with a good selection of starters and main menu selections. I do a lot of Indian cooking at home and found these dishes to be on the mild side. They are more than happy to adjust to your individual taste, so if you'd like your dish to be mild, medium or hot, mention your request to the wait staff. They also will accommodate if you have any special dish requests outside the menu. Just ask!

We started with two vegetarian dishes for the table: Ragada (spiced potato patties, onion, chickpeas, yogurt and tamarind) and Gobi (Cauliflower) Manchurian (batter fried cauliflower tossed with garlic, onion & ginger)...both were delicious! My husband never ate cauliflower until just recently when he tried my mashed cauliflower, which is the only way he will eat it. He also does not like garlic & ginger. Nor does he eat fried foods. (And I mentioned that I am the fussy eater! *rolling eyes*) I convinced him to try the Gobi Manchurian...he loved it and even ate most of it!

My main dish was Chana Masala (chickpeas cooked with fresh tomatoes, ginger and fresh coriander leaves), served with white rice and I ordered the Coconut Naan to accompany it...both were extremely pleasing to my taste buds! My husband's main was the Chicken Tikka (boneless white meat chicken marinated with spices and yogurt)...he was delighted with his choice of a main. (first time for him ordering from an Indian menu)

The prices are moderate. Good food and refreshing drinks at a charming price.

The quality of service was wonderful from start to finish. We walked in probably half an hour of so before closing, but were cheerfully greeted and graciously welcomed. (Whereas, we were turned away from the other Indian Restaurant.) Our server was friendly and accommodating. Our table was maintained at a good pace. (Again, this was with us having arrived so close to closing time and taking some time to look over the extensive menu selection.)

The atmosphere was warm. Clean dining area. Restrooms were quite clean and fully stocked.

Overall, pleasantly delighted with this restaurant and dining experience. Looking forward to our next visit to the restaurant during our next trip to Saratoga!

• Visited August 2013
Albany
“One of the best restaurants in Saratoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Whenever I crave Indian food -- and I crave it quite a bit -- I head to Karavalli. The menu is extensive, the service is attentive and the food is excellent. Their weekend brunch buffet is the best deal in Saratoga... $12.95 gets you a basket of naan, a small dhosa and an incomparable selection of some of the Capital Region's best Indian dishes. I have never been disappointed. I recommend Karavalli to all my friends, especially those who are unfamiliar with Indian cuisine.

• Visited June 2013
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Favorite Restaurant in Saratoga!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The best Indian food I've had. The staff is great, they can make the food as spicy or mild as you like. I don't like my food too spicy and they were always very accommodating. The lunch buffet is a great deal but I love going for dinner! Highly recommend.

• Visited April 2013