“Fantastic food, but terribly cramped!”

Karavalli - Regional Cuisine of India
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Came here for only the second time recently with a few friends, and found everything I ordered to be fantastic, although I had a problem with the seating as we were seating right along the edge and waiters kept bumping into my chair even though I am a slim person and had my chair in as far as I could go! I understand as a restaurant you want as much seating as possible, but such cramped conditions are uncomfortable! Loved the food, but not sure if I'll be back

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have been to Kravalli's a number of times and we always enjoy the quality and authenticity of their cuisine. The restaurant follows the traditional cuisine you would get in Kerala (southern part of India) and as we traveled in this part of India, I appreciate that they keep their tradition consistently and with quality. The restaurant also serves a brunch buffet on Saturdays and Sundays, reasonably prices and delicious. Always worth a visit.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Karavalli isn't on the main drag of Saratoga Springs, but it's certainly worth a walk of a few blocks walk to eat the best Indian food I have found in twenty plus years of sampling from restaurants in a multitude of states. There are many meals from many regions to choose from. My husband and I chose Tamil dishes that were new to us. Delicious!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were seated at probably the worst table in the house (you can actually see it in the picture, the one closest to both the bar and the buffet setup) which disappointed me from the get go. I was stuck with the side closest to the buffet, which is the staffs walkway from the kitchen (aka people constantly walking right behind and often hitting my chair). This made me anxious. To make it worse, as I had just sat down and was trying to figure out the closest I could get my chair to the table, one of the staff actually asked me to move out of the way. Oh, excuse me for being in your way at this terribly situated table that I didn't ask for.

They were super busy, and the first time our waiter came around I still wasn't sure what I wanted. I'd never had Indian food before and I don't like anything spicy, so I was taking my time. Once we'd decided, the waiter never really came back. We had to flag someone down. I decided to try a dish with almond that sounded sweet, and we also ordered a few types of naan. They took our order, then we waited. The naan arrived at the same time as the entrees. The entrees all come in a bowl, with enough to serve two people. They also serve a plate of rice for the table. All entrees were delivered, except for mine. They said they'd be right back with it but time continued to pass and nothing arrived. Again, we flagged down a waiter and asked where my meal was. It was very clear that they had forgotten to order it. But instead of admitting that and explaining that it was a mistake and would take a few minutes, they just said it was "coming in a few minutes." I was starving and tried to eat the rice but I didn't like the flavor by itself. Same with the naan. Therefore I sat there eating nothing while I waited.

When my dish finally arrived, I was really pleased with it. The flavors were perfect for me, I like everything sweet and this was. It had cashews and golden raisins and chicken in a cream sauce. I liked the rice much better mixed with the dish, and dipping the naan in the cream sauce was really delicious. A lot of butter and cream though!

Even though they completely forgot about my meal, they put it on the bill at full price ($17) AND included gratuity... we were only a party of 5! I would prefer to choose how to tip especially when they make a mistake and don't do anything to make it right. I really liked my food but I probably will not return considering the service. Its too bad.

1  Thank Stefanie G
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Myself and my three friends happened to visit this restaurant on a chilly Friday evening in February 2013. The first thing we noted was the exemplarily friendly staff that welcomed us upon entering. The menu was opulent with a wide variety of mouthwatering Indian delicacies and the bar menu included an excellent collection of indian beers and cocktails. The food was quite tasty and well-prepared, especially Shrimp Curry with traditional indian rice pan cake( Konjappam) which was gorgeous. Serving staff went to an extra length in attending to our extra requirements. We had one of the best enjoyment of Indian food in new England area at this fine restaurant and we have resolved to come back there whenever we visit Saratoga Springs. I would unhesitatingly recommend this restaurant to any discerning Indian cuisine fan.