“Lovely Ambience - Terrible Service”

Scallions Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This restaurant is a little out of the way. It has lovely decor; tables nicely spaced and very airy. One dinner was delicious (pork chop) while the second entree, while very good, was not what was expected. (tuna) If an item is listed on the entree side of the menu, one would expect it to be hot. The tuna itself was seared rare and warm, but the noodle bed and vegetables are all cold. Stone cold. It is a salad. I think the server should have warned of that. However, I guess it was all part of the terrible service we received. Upon arrival the hostess did not even speak to us; just crossed off our name on the reservation list and led us to the table. We brought this to the server's attention, which maybe was a mistake because all she said is that she's new and not working out so well. As it turned out, our server wasn't much better. She did not bring us water, informed us the wine we wanted was unavailable, then questioned why we were ordering a beer and a bottle of wine. (is the bottle for you M'am?) She cleared my husband's plate and cutlery from the salad course before I was done, we were brought our dinners before I finished my salad - and she stood there waiting to take it away as there was not enough room on the tiny table for my dinner plate as well. I finally just gave it to her, unfinished. Then she cleared my husband's dinner and cutlery while I was still eating. Maybe he wanted his cutlery to help with my dinner!! When I asked to speak with her at the end of the night, she refused. Probably because we left a meagre tip. Yes, she was upset by that, but the service deserved no more. I would not go back. Lots of other choices in Saratoga Springs.

2  Thank Watlog

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately some restaurants have only one veggie option, but not Scallions! There were several options that all sounded delicious. Setting is casual and cozy and the service was great. We had a reservation, arrived early and they were able to seat us early on a Saturday night.

1  Thank Liz N
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I stopped in for a quick lunch at Scallions on one these "Polar Vortex" afternoons. This is my first stop at the "new" location and I will definitely be back. I am a vegetarian, not quite a Vegan as I sometimes allow a little dairy in. I started with the Carrot bisque- it was delicious and hot. Filled with grated carrots in a cream based sauce, both my wife and I loved it. I ordered the Vegan Panini, which had artichoke hearts, portabello mushrooms, grilled eggplant in a Romesco sauce on a ciabatta bread. It also came with a mixed greens salad with a house vinaigrette dressing. It was excellent. Any Vegans out there looking for a great sandwich this is it. My wife ordered the Proscuitto and artichoke panini. She loved it as well, she said the mix of flavors of the arugula and rosemary worked well. let me finish the food portion of this review by stating my wife is one of the pickiest eaters I know, and if she loved, something it has to be good quality food!

The service was efficient and friendly, but not over bearing. On this very cold Saratoga day, the food, service and atmosphere at Scallions was a warm and tasty break from the winter! If in the area or staying at the nearby hotels I would definitely make a stop at scallions.

1  Thank finnickytraveler
Reviewed January 8, 2014

While in Saratoga Springs for the week of New Year's, we stopped into Scallions Restaurant for lunch. We checked out their reviews on Trip Advisor and they were all good. The furnishings in the restaurant were very whimsical and the art work lovely! Loved that! Not a whole lot of seating, but we didn't have a problem getting a seat at the time that we went. I ordered a salmon salad and was not disappointed. It was delicious and a very nice, light lunch on a cold wintery day. My husband ordered a Panini of some sort (chicken) and enjoyed it at well. I didn't think the prices were too bad (my salad--not a large one--was $15 and my husband's sandwich--with a small side salad was $12), but don't order juice as a beverage! A soda typically costs $2.50, at most places, with free refills, so we expected the juice to be a similar cost. Well, we prefer juice if available (and they have a bar in the restaurant) so we ordered a cranberry juice and an orange/pineapple juice. We were asked if we wanted a small or large glass. We selected large. When we got the bill, we were charge $9.00 for two 12 oz. glasses of juice. I just bought a whole bottle at the supermarket for $1.68. So, that was a bit of a shock and I am regretting not asking the waiter IF the charge was a mistake. Other than that, a lovely place to eat!!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had a lot of fun at scallions. Met some interesting locals and ate some fine food, including sesame tuna with soba noodles and lentils with roasted vegetables. The service was efficient and the ambiance modern. After dinner we looked at the art and wound up buying a small piece.