“Great Location - Funky”

Saratoga Downtowner Motel
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I checked in early evening on a Thursday night. Get there early to get a parking spot right in front of the building. I think there is parking behind the motel in a free lot.

The lobby was small. The staff I met seemed nice. I was given my key and had to drag my bags up a steep staircase to the 2nd floor. My room faced the inside of a long narrow ... dare I say 'atrium' with a pool on the first floor. That was something I am not accustom to so thus the term Funky.

My room had an odd scent to it when I first opened the door. It wasn’t over powering or horrible but it was a strange smell.

The room was typical for that price motel. The window over looked into the atrium with the walkway going passed each room. You could feel the vibrations as people walked by the room.

I thought that I was not going to get much sleep because my room was between a gaggle of teenagers running back and forth. The noise echoes quite a bit.

I loved the location. I was able to walk right out of the building and hit some very cool spots. Downtown Saratoga Springs is realy fun.

I went to my room to do some work and call it a night. I was lucky that it was quiet and was able to sleep. I can see how easy it could become very loud there.

Breakfast was basically carbs and hot water beverages.

Stay for the price, location and weirdness.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the pool area can get loud.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank offseasonfun

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We have been to Saratoga many times. This is the first time that we have stayed downtown,however. The hotel was easy to locate, near to most things we could ever want to do. The hotel was clean and neat. The owners are working hard to update as they go along and they are doing a great job. Although the hotel is right downtown, it was very quiet there. The breakfast was very fresh- no stale donuts here. All of the help at the desk were helpful and pleasant. We were pleased to see the owner on premise and watching what was going on as well as being helpful to guests and staff alike. We have always stayed outside of town, but would definitely return here.

Room Tip: No elevator so either have light luggage or ask for a first floor room. All are good, but the front...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The pros: Great location in downtown, easy walking to all the good restaurants and within a block of a ton of bars and pubs. Very nice staff, easy parking, nice looking indoor pool (though I didn't swim), and my room had both an interior entrance as well as a balcony entrance (with padlock). For one night, it was all I needed! The cons: a bit noisy b/c of the location, and the rooms and bathroom could use some serious updating: they could start with the old tube tvs! Also, no iron in the room . . . and for messy packers like me, that was a problem.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Although located in downtown, very quiet. If you are looking for a small, friendly, and not expensive hotel, and you plan to stay for 1-5 days, this is great place to go. Rooms are very clean, there is indoor charming pool. I visited Saratoga 3 times in the last 3 years, and every time I stayed in Downtowner, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have windows with a view outside (there is a window with an inside view to the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2012

spend 9day and nights in this hotel, great staff, very helpful nice room,very clean would stay again when in saratoga springs.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel has the potential to be charming kitch, but aspects related to sleep quality killed our holiday. We wanted an inexpensive, family friendly place to stay and this met the bill - my daughter loved the indoor pool and it was all great until time to go to sleep. The mattresses were pretty cheap, but then what do you expect for the price? The location appeals to the college crowd who used the central location for bar hopping. Our room was on the front of the hotel and the boisterous bar crowd coming back kept us awake half the night from the vibration of running and up down the stairs and walking around on the flimsy metal walkway. The hotel is non-smoking, driving them all outside onto that walkway and hanging out right outside our room. Who puts a family with a young child into a room in the middle of that!!!! When asked how our stay was at checkout, we commented on the lack of sleep and the woman just looked at the key and acknowledged that the front was noisy. Wow! We arrived on a Thursday to a virtually empty hotel and yet they still put us in such a bad room! Bad management! While I intend to go back to Saratoga, I will never go back to the Downtowner and I really wish I'd never gone in the first place.

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't on the front of the motel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jillr213
Reviewed March 17, 2012

If you want to find a small, hospitable motel right in the heart of Saratoga Springs, this is the place. In many ways, it feels more like a hotel, with a real lobby and a sweet little swimming pool nestled among the rooms and surrounded by hanging baskets of green plants. The staff is extraordinarily helpful, the rooms are clean but still old fashioned enough to feel real, not plastic and artificial like so many fancier places. You can walk to lots of restaurants and coffee shops and local businesses, and then you can come back and get more great directions and recommendations from the generous staff. They offer a continental breakfast complete with a large selection of teas. Do arrive early to find parking in front. The shower/bathtub can be a bit chilly on a cold day, but it is nice to have a window with light in the bathroom even if it adds some chill. I went for one night and stayed two more on my return trip. I would eagerly go back again- a really charming place with great rates! Thanks to all who made my stay so special. It feels good too to support a family owned business that is not part of a big chain.

Room Tip: All are non-smoking. I liked the ground floor by the pool on the left side from the lobby as it see...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo