“total relaxing & awesome customer service”

Roosevelt Baths and Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historic Roosevelt Baths & Spa opened in 1935 as a bathhouse, part of the Saratoga Spa complex, which includes the Gideon Putnam Resort.
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Had some medical issue that requried attention,Contacted Vanessa at The Spa who subsequenty made appt. Although it was off-season (beware /very crowded in August),staff was very efficiant & caring.
Upon arriving ,there was no waiting & i received Mineral Bath + massage.The Spa was very clean and overall -i was completly satisfied with treatment,that meet all my expectations.
Thank you & see you again.

1  Thank s m

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I recently went to Roosevelt Spa with a friend for a much needed girls night out. We both enjoy spa days so we booked a mineral bath, massage, and a side by side deluxe pedicure. A lady named Bridgett booked everything and was awesome.

Day of service (3/15) we walked in and we were greeted and quickly shown the steam room and the locker room. I was a bit thrown off because I was told they see 200+ ppl per day and the locker rooms were so small. I was also surprised by the spa seeming a bit outdated and institutional. I figured the services must have been magnificent.

We went to the steam room first and it was very small and it didn't smell or feel clean. No big deal, we just went to the relaxation room. We appreciated the fruit and tea, but it was pretty loud and not relaxing by any means. The chaise lounge chairs were nice!

Mineral bath was great! I have seen people complain about the color of the water, but the gentlemen explained why and it was fine. I didn't feel very relaxed as the room again, just felt like I was in an institution or old school room. I normally get a deep tissue massage, but I decided on a Swedish and it was just OK. I live in Lake Placid NY and have many spas to visit and frequently get massages so I know a good one and a bad one when I get one. Very routine and predictable.

We then moved onto the pedicures. We were definitely not scheduled side by side we specifically requested. which required us to spend another 1.5 hours (after we had been there for 2.5 already.) I asked the girl what was going on and she and the lady doing manicures said they go by the schedule they receive so we would have to wait. The other spa chair was free but they advised that they couldn't do the side by side because there wasn't enough room if the other lady was doing a manicure. The room was old, cluttered, and extremely small and uncomfortable. There was nothing deluxe about that pedicure what so ever. I so wanted those nice smooth feet and I left with basically a paint job. Way overpriced! I get better Pedi's at the mall on my lunch break!

Lastly when checking out, I decided to leave JUST the 18%... I mean, it was mediocre service at a high price. The lady at the reception was thoroughly annoyed when I told her 18% for each and then I didn't know the price to tell her the amount. She whisked that price menu out of the holder and then proceeded to spend 20 minutes getting me and my friend checked out. She did however offer us both a free mineral bath on her for the scheduling mistake. Unfortunately, it would take more than a free mineral bath to return.

Thanks but no thanks, Roosevelt! Your spa would be OK if you lowered your prices to match the mediocre spa and service you provide!

7  Thank Adkgirl78
Reviewed March 2, 2014

On first glance, the spa is lovely. The relaxation room is spacious with a wall fireplace and water feature room separator. But, when I see stains on the carpet and bathrooms needing attention, it really shocks me at such a pricey venue. Then I start to look for other shortcomings which I find annoying on my day out.
My sugar scrub with Darlene and then soak was terrific though I felt awkward in the tub because I kept slipping.
My pedicure/manicure with Jen was weak. I didn't care for the ambience which could have been tidier, but also think they need a much better nail tech on staff. Save your money on this service for sure if Jen is the tech.

3  Thank abc72
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I went here as part of a girls weekend. I have to say that all of us enjoyed our services and that the overall experience was good. I felt it was a little pricey for the facilities. I understand it is historic and actually don't think they should change the decor, but some attention was needed in certain areas. I really wish they had separated the waiting areas by gender. It was uncomfortable to be in a robe alongside men. But even that was not as uncomfortable as the people in the room fully clothed playing on their electronic devices. Most spas do not allow such behavior in the relaxation room and it did detract from the experience. Perhaps if the price was lower I would feel differently but at the current rates I expected a higher level of comfort.

4  Thank WeekendGetawayJunkie
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I treated ourselves to a full day here. We had arranged for our various treatments ahead of time, and found the staff to be friendly and helpful over the phone. We were staying right nearby at the Gideon Putnam Hotel, which is just a 5 minute walk through the woodsie winding paths -- delightful! (see my review of the Gideon Putnam as well)

We were welcomed at the reception desk, and then lead to the locker room for changing into their fluffy bathrobes and slippers. Then off to the steam bath, followed by a rinse and then the mineral soaking bath, with a scent of my choice. At each stage, staff was helpful and very discreet, allowing privacy and comfort. A soft battery-operated candle lit the room nicely during my 20-minute mineral soak....totally soothing and relaxing.

Both my husband and I had massages, but he enjoyed his moderate massage and foot reflexology rub, while I had the best massage ever....the hot stone massage, which was exquisite. Again, the masseur was attentive to my coverings, so if you have never had a massage before, you can be assured that while naked under the blanket, only the arm or leg or back being massaged is exposed. Darkened room....relaxing music...just delightful.

Finally on to the facial -- and again, the staff is good at suggesting the order of things to do, if you are wanting multiple treatments. It's not cheap (spa treatments never are) but oh, so worth every penny spent. Indulge in as much as you can afford, and you won't be disappointed.

And for in between treatments, or at least at the very end, they have a lovely, large lounge, completed with complimentary teas and water, chaise lounges to relax on, and the sound of a large wall waterfall to soothe. A lovely place to spend the day, even if you just go for the steambath and lounge relaxation!

If you have a little extra time, consider exploring the grounds a bit. There are some interesting buildings, some vacant and ready for interior restoration, and lots of arch-covered walkways. Also some fine walking trails off into the surrounding woods (see my photos of the building's exterior, the grounds, and the locker rooms). Quite an unexpected gem, here in Saratoga Springs -- itself, a charming and walkable town. We both look forward to returning and highly recommend this special spa experience!

2  Thank suzinvt