“Not what i'd expect from Saratoga”

Roosevelt Baths and Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historic Roosevelt Baths & Spa opened in 1935 as a bathhouse, part of the Saratoga Spa complex, which includes the Gideon Putnam Resort.
Rensselaer, NY
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not what i'd expect from Saratoga”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Overall, the service was lackluster, the ambiance was horrible, and the actual services were mediocre at best. I would not recommend this place to anyone. My Husband and I had a mineral bath and a couples massage. We're from the area, and knowing that Saratoga usually has top notch places, we were extremely disappointed.

My first experience did not start off on the right foot. The ladies locker rooms are small and awkwardly shaped so you're bumping into people. Then as im trying to change I noticed, what seemed like a homeless woman, stealing the body lotion and occupying the bathroom stall for 20 minutes. Then there were no sandals left so I had to wait for an attendant to bring some more.

The mineral bath was a tub full of brown water, and never having had one, we were a bit turned off by this but figured that maybe it was supposed to be like that. Although, it would have been nice if the attendent explained the mineral bath a little more than he did. What turned me off the most was the condition of the room. The grout along the tub was stained brown, either from old age or the bath water. The hardware on the tub looked as though it had not been changed since 1950, and the room itself felt like an insane asylum. It also wasnt too relaxing when I could hear the water being drained from a tub in the room next door. It was so loud I couldnt even hear the "relaxing" music.

My massage was good, not great, and my Husband would say his was just 'ok'. The room itself was far from what you would expect from a top notch spa. There was a royal blue curtain (totally unmatched from the room) hiding an old shower stall, which was odd. The oil used had no scent or relaxing affects at all, but left us extra greasy, which I could have done without.

Oh, and the steam rooms are separate, not unisex, so you are not able to enjoy a full spa day with your other half if that is your intent.

Considering the prices are just as high as any other day spa in the area, do not waste your money.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank Annemarie B

Cohoes
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Mineral Bath”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked a spa package when my Mother was visiting. The staff is very nice and the bath felt like silk and I was walking on air for the next few days!

1 Thank Heather D
Cleveland, Ohio
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Take the cure - travel in time back to the 1930s”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

This building, the entire grounds, has a delightful feeling that it was built as a WPA project (it was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_Progress_Administration). The water is cold spring water, at about 50 degrees, heated to 120 and then mixed with tap water to cool it down again. It is incredibly clean, and made my skin feel and look fantastic. The bath itself looks a bit like iron rust because of the reaction of the minerals, but it is clean water. Fizzy, too. I had a delightful time, and plan on sending my mother here for some of the benefits.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Nindubsar
Florida, USA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“A wonderful step back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is not a girlie spa but an authentic therapeutic experience. The waiting area is modern with a relaxing waterfall and comfortable loungers. The treatment rooms are a step back in time. The small rooms are industrial feeling and right out of the 1930's. The therapeutic waters are rusty coloured and effervescent. This unique spa experience is a " must do"

Visited August 2012
1 Thank CBYankee
Ballston Spa, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very sterile environment... definitely not luxurious.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My bath and massage were enjoyable, however the atmosphere is very sterile and far from luxurious. I would try another spa in the area before returning to this one.

Visited July 2012