“Dirty hotel with horrible business practices!”

Roosevelt Inn & Suites
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I am leaving this hotel right now in the middle of the night on my anniversary, after having paid for two nights. I did not stay a single night, and we were just informed we will not receive a refund despite the fact that we are not staying. After driving 5 hours to Saratoga, we arrived to find a room without water. The man at thw front desk informed us he was "working on it" and there was nothing else he could do. A few hours later we had water in our room, and although it was barely dripping out of the faucet and had an awful odor, my family still managed to bathe. It wasn't until we put some in the dog's bowl that we realized the water was BROWN. When my entire family ended up sick, we packed up while my husband requested a refund. The woman at the front desk (Patty) said there was a two week cancellation policy. Well, silly me! I SHOULD have anticipated I was going to a motel with polluted water two weeks ago so i could have abided by your cancellation policy. This hotel has horrible business practices, is dirty, run down and falling apart. There are a plethora of hotels much closer to town and much nicer. Don't waste your time or money here!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank mrsc631

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We checked in for a long weekend, and the room smelled like urine and mildew. The hotel was sold out, so there was no switching unless we wanted to stay far away from town. When we were in our room the next day, 2 men used their pass key to gain entry in the room, saying they were maintenance. I asked don't you knock prior to entering the room, they said they did not know anyone was in the room. I called the front desk and they said they were responding to my husbands complaint about the broken fan, but we never complained about the fan. No one that worked there seemed concerned about this at all. The 2 men were not in any uniform nor did they drive a hotel vehicle.

The room itself was very dirty. Stains on the lamp shades, curtains, and bed spread. Remote control very sticky. Light switches had a layer of grime on them. When I checked out and mentioned again about the smell, the woman said oh. not I am sorry, or any type of remorse. When I asked if anyone had complained about this before, she said no and picked up the ringing phone and turned her back to me.

Never again. Stay closer to town for convenience and cleanliness. There is a reason this place if for sale.

Room Tip: Dont accept room 120!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2111Carolyn
RooseveltSuites, General Manager at Roosevelt Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the hotel. I apologize about the issues that you had during your stay. Based on your comments about the room I have taken the room off market to be inspected and deep cleaned. I have given the housekeeping manager a list of the items that you listed to check to make sure that we do not miss anything. It is hotel policy to knock on all doors before entering a room whether the room is occupied or not and I have discussed it with both of the maintenance men that were on duty that day to make sure that does not happen again. I do apologize that when you checked out that the desk agent did not take the time to listen to your concerns about your stay. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you how beautiful the hotel can be. Sincerely, Jessica Pajonk

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel was very pricey with little to offer. The bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on. The deck was nice but in need of painting. The fitness centre was great and the pool was open very early so we could go for a swim and hot tub before breakfast. The air conditioning unit was very noisy making it difficult to watch T.V. The outdoor pool had a bit of a green ting so we avoided that. There was a nice complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Roosevelt Inn & Suites. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the fitness center and the indoor pool. It is one of the things that our guests love the most. I do apologize that you did not find the beds comfortable and the air conditioning unit too loud. Maintenance has gone in and re-worked the ac unit due to your comments in the room you stayed in so it is not an issue in the future. I hope that when you return to the Saratoga area you will choose to stay at the Roosevelt. Thank you again for your comments. Have a wonderful evening! Sincerely, Jessica Pajonk

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Looking at the photos for their site this place looks great don't let that fool you!! The room I had was on the road side and it was like stepping back in time. Old keys so didn't really feel safe- green and pink tile bathroom-Old tv with vcr-Bad decor-Small-Not sure what was wrong with the water but it had a awful smell to it. I can say that the indoor pool and hot tub was nice. The outdoor pool it in front with all the traffic and it was green..For the price at 151.00 a night very disapointed won't be back.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the traffic side!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Missy M
RooseveltSuites, General Manager at Roosevelt Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the hotel. I apologize that it was not quite what you expected but glad that you got to enjoy the indoor pool and jacuzzi during your stay. The hotel also offers suites that might have been more what you were looking for. I hope that the next time you are in the area that you give us another try in one of our other accommodations that we have available. Sincerely, Jessica Pajonk General Manager

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We recently returned from a 3 day weekend at the Roosevelt Inn & Suites. This was our 16th year staying at the Roosevelt, so we've seen a lot. The property was sold about 5 years ago and has steadily gone downhill since. This year was the worst.
The rooms are large and comfortable, but they are desperately in need of a face lift. The paper in the bathroom was peeling and the paper dispenser was pulled away from the wall. The water had an extremely strong smell, almost a mix of chlorine and sewerage. Very unpleasant. The towels were so thin that they ripped apart in my hands. The balconies are in need of repair, and the plastic chairs on them are old, stained, and faded.
The grounds used to be beautifully landscaped, but no longer. The flowers that were everywhere are gone, and the tennis court is covered with black (mold?)
Newspapers used to be complimentary, but nothing is available now except a local weekly. The continental breakfast and the basket of local products in the room are nice touches, but it would be nice to have a coffee maker in the room.
The property is for sale again, and I hope someone takes it over and does the repairs/refurbishment to bring it back to its former glory. We've always enjoyed the convenience of the hotel to the track (if you know the shortcuts, it's only a few minutes) and the highway and hope to continue going there, but will not unless improvements are made.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Roosevelt Inn & Suites. I apologize that you did not find everything to be the way it was in the past. We are currently working on improvements around the hotel and in the rooms. I am concerned by some of the comments such as the towels and flowers as we are using the same services that the previous owners used. I will research that further and see if it is time to make some changes. I do hope that you will return next year as one of the best parts of being part of the Roosevelt is return guests and what they bring to the hotel.
Sincerely, Jessica Pajonk General Manager

Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I vacationed with my family to check out the Races in Saratoga, NY . We drove 7 hours to our destination and by the time we arrive we were more then ready to check into the Roosevelt Inn & Suites. When we arrived, the lady at the front desk seemed very over worked and over whelmed but she had our reservation and checked us in promptly. I am sure at some point this hotel/motel was fresh, clean and nice but at this point the property needs some updating and the rooms need some deep cleaning. The indoor pool was very nice looking but it was sooooo hot that it seemed more like a very hot tub then a pool. The outdoor pool was green and needed a cleaning very badly. The rooms are large in size and it is clear that the limited staff at the hotel is attempting to keep up with the cleaning and maintence but it is just not cutting it. There was a lot of dust/mold in the bathroom fans and ac vents. The bedding and furniture is over used and very worn.

The hotel is very close to the race track so this is very good and the outdoor property and grounds could be so beautiful with a little TLC.

One thing to note, there is not a traditon SPA on the property so do not go there thinking there is a large spa with staff to offer spa services.

Overall, I would 100% go back to Saratoga and enjoy the races but I would probably try another hotel/motel for my stay. I hope that someone buys The Roosevelt and fixes it up because it has some real potential.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Roosevelt Inn & Suites. I am always glad when someone takes the time to tell us about their stay, both the positive and negative aspects. I sincerely apologize for the stay not being quite what you expected but did really appreciate the comment that the employees are trying. We have made some changes recently that are making a difference to the general appearance and cleanliness of the hotel. I certainly hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you how beautiful the hotel really is. Sincerely, Jessica Pajonk

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The website is very creative with its pictures and does not represent reality. It appears to be a top notch spa on the website, but creative picture angles are not reality. The pool is right on the road with a lot of traffic. Need a car but located conveniently to Saratoga. The road directly to mid town Saratoga is a traffic jam, so it is better to get back on I89 at Exit 13 and go to Exit 15. Not much longer in miles, but faster given race week traffic. Decor is a little out of date. It is clean but expensive at $345 a day during race week. Health club and indoor pool clean and well done. A beer party with workmen drinking on the flat bed of a truck next to the pool was a bit of a turnoff initially. The room was on the traffic side, but was very quiet despite this.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Roosevelt Inn & Suites. I am always glad to hear what our guests think of the hotel and their stay. It seemed like you enjoyed your stay over all with the exception of the traffic going into town which at this time of year can be quite tricky to say the least. I was glad to hear that you found the room quiet even with the traffic and I have talked to the individuals about the places they choose to hang out. That is certainly not the image that we want for our hotel. We have therapists for our spa on an on-call basis with the indoor pool, workout room, sauna, and Jacuzzi open daily from 6am till 10pm. I hope that when you return to Saratoga that you choose to stay with us again. Sincerely, Jessica Pajonk