“Fantastic Experience”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Albany, New York
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I decided to try The Crown Grill for the first time this past weekend. It was great, they had a very busy bar and almost all of the tables were seated. I wasn't sure how busy it was going to be since it was kind of a rainy weekend and they just opened so I did not make a reservation. Note to self: I will start making reservations because I have no doubt that this place will be packed in the summer time.

The food, the food was so delicious I ate every last bite. My guest and I shared the Summer Rolls to start and they were out of this world, flavorful yet cooling with a touch of spice. I ordered the Filet for an entree and it was one of the best steaks I have had in a long time. It was cooked just the way I asked and it was a nice portion of steak. It came with a side of mashed potatoes which are actual home made mashed potatoes not stuff that comes out of a bag or box, they were perfect and reminded me of how my dad used to make mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. The Creme Brulee was a great choice for dessert as it wasn't too filling since I was already stuffed but needed something sweet.

For the atmosphere...wow. I had been to this location prior to it becoming The Crown Grill and it was dark and dreary...now it is bright with vibrant colors, wonderful lighting, and the most comfortable booths you will ever sit in. They also have a private dining area which is a library. In the library they have a picture of the Saratoga Paddock and it truly looks like you can just walk into the picture.

The service was great, our server was knowledgeable of the menu and answered all of our questions. She was friendly and attentive. The cocktails were also delicious and I even though I wanted to stay and try all of them I couldn't. I had the London Sunrise and that was awesome.

I definitely recommend trying this new place in town and I think it is a great addition to downtown Saratoga.

2 Thank JGreene010

Niskayuna, New York
“New restaurant in Saratoga...well established”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We dined at The Crown Grill with friends on a recent weekend night out, and had a great experience. The waitress was friendly and informative, offering more than the usual ramble of the evening's specials. A self-proclaimed foodie, she provided the inside scoop on preparation of some of the dishes, and articulated well which were other patrons' favorites and why. The seating in the library was cozy and intimate for our party. Several guests were being given mini tours of the restaurant, which was slightly distracting from the ambiance, but understandable since the space is new. My husband and I shared asparagus fries as a starter- the perfect summer appetizer! Crispy panko covered asparagus with a lemon aioli dipping sauce set us off on the right foot. My entrée of gnocchi was delicious, and the crème brulee (rumored to be the recipe from the French Laundry) deserved a crown in and of itself. The service and food would bring us back again for another visit. The Crown Grill, despite being new, feels like a well established fit for Saratoga and is bound to be a good choice during track season.

3 Thank MEO_13
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Impressed by ambiance and decor, but not the food :(”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My friends and I were very excited to give this a try. Upon walking in, I was amazed by the style, the high ceilings, the two very beautiful chandeliers that lit up the bar area. The ambiance was striking and inviting. We sat at a booth just past the bar area. We thought it was a little tight. Well, I'm 5'5" and my friend (girl) is 5'9" and her husband is 6'1" and they were crammed in the booth. We were approached right away by a bus boy who asked if we'd like tap or Saratoga water. Nice touch. Very shortly thereafter we were approached by are very friendly server. The service was great, by the way. I ordered the only merlot they had on the menu. I thought it was a bit spicey, dry and overpriced at $9. I then was intrigued by their "Montaditos" which are basically two thin slices of bread (untoasted and unseasoned) with toppings. All you get is 2 for $4. I ordered the goat cheese apple one. It had ABSOLUTELY ZERO flavor. I had to ask for salt and pepper and I never need to ask for extra flavor at restaurants. I wanted to savor each bit, so I made sure I bit twice for each slice (but I could easily have put the whole thing in my mouth). It was just really boring and bland. Because I wanted to go light for dinner, I just ordered their wedge salad. You can't really doll up a wedge salad...again, nothing to write home about...and it was $12. Seriously??

My friends enjoyed both of their meals but kept closed lipped as they weren't "wowed" either. Sadly, I won't go back for the food. Maybe for the bar and the atmosphere, but I will hesitate to order food if I dine here again.

“Exceeded Our Expectations!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went with friends after waiting for opening jitters to wear off! Got there early and enjoyed a drink at the bar. Bartender very friendly and spoke about the renovation of the building, which was most amazing! Not disappointed by any means. These are formers partners in Sperry's and they know the restaurant business. Did a great job in the renovation of this space and make sure you visit the library to see the stable scene that adds great depth and scenery to the room. The climate control of air conditioning makes dining very comfortable in this room. Remember this is Saratoga! Okay enough said about the amenities-----
Staff very accommodating to service and led by Pauline, made our dining experience excellent. She knows the menu and did not steer us wrong. The blue cheese wedge is a must as were the curry mussels...but the best was yet to come! We ordered scallops and companion couple ordered duck, which knocked the ball out of the ballpark! Very tasty and good portion size. Wavered between scallops and the Delmonico steak and settled on the scallops after Pauline suggested I try the scallops. Couldn't finish them and size was amazingly large. Pricing was very fair and very much in line with other restaurants I patronize. No room for dessert but will save that for another visit! A great dining experience and a great job of building and decorating this restaurant. The added touch of having a excellent and knowledgeable server, Pauline, made our dining experience five stars! Get to this venue before track season opens as it is sure to be very busy!

3 Thank UncleMoChampion
CircusCafe, Manager at The Crown Grill, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello UncleMoChampion,

Thank you so much for dining at The Crown Grill. Your review is wonderful and we are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your experience so much! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Thanks again,
Melissa
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had arrived quite late on in the evening and were ravenous, so we tried the Crown Grill. We had just missed restaurant service but despite this, they happily catered for us and the food was excellent! I had a blue cheese wedge and it was delicious. The service was warm and friendly despite the late hour and reasonably priced. Would recommend.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Mellymoo194
CircusCafe, Manager at The Crown Grill, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello Mellymoo194,

It was our pleasure to serve you that evening. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area.

Thanks so much!