“No conductor in sight but still sings”
Review of Maestro's - CLOSED

Maestro's
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Phila Street
Description: A Fine American Bistro Gift CertificatesA gathering place for exceptional food and drink, Maestro's is now located in the clubhouse at McGregor Links Country Club in Wilton, New York, only 4 miles from our former home on Broadway in Saratoga. We invite you to join us for lunch, dinner or libations in this beautiful and peaceful setting. Whether dining in one of our dining rooms, "Edgar's Bar", or enjoying the summer breeze outside on our porch overlooking the club grounds, you'll marvel at our exceptional menu designed to tantalize your taste buds. Our menu offerings are sure to please, whether you're yearning for a burger and an ice old brew, celebrating a special event, or simply gathering with friends to enjoy dinner out. Executive Chef Mike Pietrocola and his staff are dedicated to preparing delicious and satisfying dishes for you. Maestros has built a solid reputation for great food, excellent service and a pleasing ambiance. That tradition continues at McGregor and we are confident you'll enjoy the atmosphere of our new home, a 1920's former hunting lodge in a most picturesque setting
Reviewed April 9, 2013

One of the few restaurants serving dinner on Easter Sunday, my husband and I were glad to find them open. Atmosphere quite nice but very noisy. Service was excellent and appropriately attentive. Prix fixe at $42 for three courses very reasonable. My only complaint was my entree, though requested to be medium to medium well was rare. Naturally, it was returned to the kitchen but that is never a good alternative (puts diners out of snyc). Coffee was served in metal cups which I thought a strange choice - maybe the up and coming thing?! Overall, a nice experience with a few glitches along the way.

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

It is hard to be a foodie and a professional chef, to go out is always a huge let down. On Easter my family and I had a dining experience. The menu was thoughtful with a wide clientele in mind and the cuisine was nothing short of amazing. A perfect dining event that included great service, great food, and an evening I will remember for a very long time.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place has become on our favorite restaurants. We stop here whenever we are in Saratoga Springs. I just have to careful not to fill up on the homemade bread! We ate off the Prix fixe menu, 3 courses quite reasonable. Each course was flavorful and well prepared. For my main course I had the pork loin, it had a slight smokey favor & just a bit of a kick, served with mash and roasted brussels sprouts. Great location, attentive but not over bearing staff. We simply love this place.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My rating is based on service. The food and atmosphere were quite nice, but the appalling service was the deal-breaker.

Friend and I had a 6:15 pm dinner reservation and were seated promptly. Restaurant remained quiet well into our time there, with servers lined up against the back wall awaiting the Friday night "rush", I guess.

To say that our server Lindsay was rushed and inconsiderate is an understatement. From the time we were seated, throughout the meal, to the final transaction, she was hurried, careless, and completely clueless about the pacing of our ordering, serving us, and "checking in". We'd barely had time to review the menu before being approached to order. Two more approaches--at a time when Lindsay was not busy, as few other diners had yet been seated--and we felt compelled to respond.

White bean dip with crackers were barely on the table before bread arrived to displace them, followed mere minutes later by our (ample and delicious) shared "shrimp cocktail for the table" ($17). Only a few shrimp in, and our entrees were delivered. No time to enjoy, no time to linger! Diver scallops for self, lobster risotto for Friend. Both were flavorful and artfully presented. Friend's risotto a bit on the pricey side at $38. My four diver scallops a scant but (given the shrimp) satisfying portion, for $21.

Throughout the meal, Lindsay kept attempting to remove the bread and shrimp that we were unable to consume timely, though we indicated our desire to "graze" and enjoy these on our now-crowded two-top. Server's presence went beyond "attentive" to annoying, clueless, and outright disrespectful.

At the conclusion of the meal, Friend redeemed a gift card, and I provided a credit card for the bill balance. About 10 minutes passed before Lindsay returned to the table, asking "if I was sure I had given her a credit card", because none was in her folio. Her questioning was humiliating, and within earshot of neighboring diners in this intimate bistro-style setting. Lindsay then said the card must have fallen out, had we dropped it?, never mind, she had to wait on these guys over here, are we sure we'd given her a credit card?, because she couldn't find it, don't worry, she'd find it, no, she can't find it, she could take my information, and how did we want to pay?

The kicker? The balance of the bill I was putting on my card was about $10 plus tip. Never an offer to comp this small amount on a $100+ bill, never a sincere apology. Ultimately, my credit card was found on the floor by another server, under a neighboring patron's table.

I have great respect for Mr. LaPosta and what he has done to transform and enhance this space on Broadway. But I would strongly encourage him to turn an eye toward ensuring that all of his waitstaff are working to the same service standard. On my service experience alone, I will not return, and would caution others. This might have been a "fluke", but the situation was handled very poorly. Annoying dinner, capped by humiliation and disrespect. Spend $100+ elsewhere.

3  Thank ramblingsandroasts
Tina K, Owner at Maestro's, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank You for your comment and for taking the time to express your concerns. We value the opinions of our customers, and strive to make each dining experience exemplary. I am glad that you were satisfied wtih your meal, and with the overall atmosphere of the restaurant and I was happy to see you ( or your dining companion) did receive your Be My Guests Rewards points for dining that evening.

I would like to address the specific concerns noted in your review.We encourage our waitstaff to be attentive to the needs of our customers throughout the meal. This is not meant to rush the guest, but rather to ensure that they are enjoying their dining experience. Our records indicate that your party of two was seated in excess of 2 hours and 15 minutes. This is an above average turn time for a party of this size. We are confident that this amount of time on its face value does not classify as rushed, and does allow time to enjoy the experience.

Regarding the credit card that was mistakingly dropped out of the checkbook, we strive to avoid any situation that would cause confusion with our guests. Unfortunately, situations of this nature do arise in a busy restaurant environment. When the server you named repeatedly in your review asked if you were "sure" you placed the card in the folio, there was no malice or disrespect intended and aplologize if you felt that way. Rather, this was an attempt to problem solve-to find the seemingly lost card and remedy the error. It is not uncommon for patrons to forget to put cards in the folio, which is where the questions stems from.

The numerous adjectives used in your review to describe our server are certainly out of the ordinary, both for the server and this restaurant, and not reflective of the standard of service upheld by Maestro's. I only wish you had contacted us directly and given us the opportunity to make up for the shortcomings you experienced during your visit.
Again, thank you for your concerns and comments and we invite you to be a guest at our establishment in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The food was truely excellent. It was a business lunch and the staff was very accomadating given that we were distracted and stayed at the table 2+ hours. I am looking forward to taking my wife for a great evening meal.