“Love This Market!”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My husband and I LOVE food and The Putnam Market has a great selection of prepared foods, meats, cheeses, and "extras"!!! If you love food and specialty items, go here!

Reviewed August 1, 2010

I was in Saratoga for the weekend and stopped at my best friends favorite deli - putnam st market place. She raves about this place having the best sandwhiches, so we all went before the races to get sandwhiches and snacks. My first impression of the store was wow this is great - bakery, deli, local and specialty foods. The staff was friendly, all but the one woman who took or order. She was one of the most rudest people I've met, and I work in the restaurant business and have met some rude servers before. She was very snappy, made rude and sarcastic remarks and was over all very unpleasant to myself and my two friends. The food was good, I had a salad with grilled chicken, pecans, mixed greens, cucumber, tomatoes and apple slices. My friends enjoyed their sandwhiches too. But I don't think I will go back for the deli. The salad and sandwhiches each cost $8.88, over priced for the quality and service. I did enjoy the chocolates and snacks we bought, and would recommend the non perishable food section of the store to anyone in area - where you can find local beers, granola and other locally made products.

Reviewed May 14, 2010

They use quality ingredients on quality bread. My favorite is turkey, brie and mango chutney grilled like a panini so the cheese gets all melty. Some of their soups are amazing. But it's a deli with only a few very tiny tables -- most people get it as takeout.

Reviewed December 22, 2009

I'm really impressed with the way the owners keep their store stocked with high end goodies, and support local artisans/companies. These Barkeater Chocolates are incredible and now I have to scoot over and get them for my mother who I promised them to for Christmas. I have also found the service to be friendly and the delicatessen meats and cheeses all delicious. Big sandwiches! You won't regret it! :)

Reviewed November 29, 2009

Intrigued by the slogan that greets you: "The best food and wine store between Manhattan and Montreal," (although I found it odd a store would concede it's no better than third place), my wife and I decided to have lunch there.

The soup, a cream of mushroom, was good. The sandwiches were nothing special- they were not bad, but on par with a sandwich that one could buy at a chain supermarket deli section. Corned beef and pastrami were Boar's Head cold-cuts, a fine brand, but one found in any grocery store. They could prepare a brisket in-house, for example, like other upscale food markets, but did not elect to do so. The prices are in line with the area, but not a good value since the quality of the food is no better than any of the delicatessens in downtown Saratoga.

Perhaps the unremarkable food quality would have been overlooked if it were not for the staff. Food prep staff, most notably, were rude. For example, it was difficult to know what bread selections there are. There are many loaves of bread located just over the food prep area, including an interesting "sea salt," however you cannot choose from that or any of those loaves. To pay for the sandwich, you must first walk past the cash register to the deli, order the sandwich, walk back through the store from the deli to the front, pay, then walk back through the store from the register to the deli to pick up the sandwich. This confusing labyrinth was not clearly explained. We were told in a very snippy and simultaneously condescending manner that "there is a sign," however. We were treated as though we were going to steal these sandwiches (I'd never risk an arrest record for this food- Katz's maybe).

Seating area was crowded and the high tables are chairs are difficult for elderly guests to ascend.

I am happy they stock Dr. Brown's sodas, including Cel-Ray, and Fizzy Lizzy soft drinks. If we did not have such an ordeal paying for our food, i would have liked to buy the La Quercia prosciutto from Iowa as I have been looking forward to trying it, but I will find it elsewhere.

If they want to do this right in the future, they should take a class from Ari at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which is everything this sad, demi-Balducci's, strives to be, but fails to accomplish.

We will never return. I hope our readers will do the same.

1  Thank GreenMountainEater