“Our Best Eating Experience in Saratoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of One Caroline

One Caroline
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadway
Bayside, New York
“Our Best Eating Experience in Saratoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Wonderful setting and fabulous food. We have the Sticky Chicken and the Burger...Would go back here in a second

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Steven G
Dear Steven G,

Thanks for your great review of One Caroline! I'm thrilled that you had a great experience. Please come back and visit us soon!

Staten Island, New York
“Uncomfortable and dissapointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Me and my wife were told they had great food and great blues. What a joke. The chairs were round backed and narrow. The most uncomfortable chairs we ever sat in. And we're only average size and weight. The food was cold and not very good. Bland and really overpriced. So I said to my wife at least we can listen to some good blues music soon. After two hours they finally started. Blues ? It was nothing more than bad horrible jazz. Guess they don't know the difference..I asked for the check and tipped well after all its not the staffs fault. But it still took me twenty more minutes to leave. Why u ask? I couldn't stop laughing over the bill. All in all I would rather go to a rathole than ever come to this overpriced dump again. Oh! One more thing. It took us ten minutes more to straighten our backs out. On those small cheap miserable chairs they give u to sit on.

• Visited August 2013
Dear Bennynsue,

I'm very sorry that you had a disappointing experience at One Caroline. We do have a variety of music 7 days per week -- most of which is jazz, though depending on the evening, it may be blues, rock, folk, etc.

Our food is all locally sourced, farm-to-table style bistro food. We make a great effort to prepare excellent, creative good food. We change our menu very frequently based on availability of ingredients and seasons.

Apologies again that you had bad evening.

South Glens Falls, New York
“Wonderful meal in a relaxing setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We went to One Caroline on our "date night" sans child. Staff was attentive and very knowledgeable of meal components. Started out with giant scallops on a bed of creamed corn for an appetizer. Was truly delicious! With a citrus glaze and arugula on the side, the dish was scrumptious! Both my wife and I had the wild boar ragu, on egg noodles. We were warned ahead of time to order the half portion, as to be able to enjoy an appetizer and dessert. The advice was well worth it as even the half portion was filling! The boar, which is game I had never tried before, had the juicy consistency of pulled pork, with a taste closer to a beef brisquet...the sauce was a wonderful blend of wine, tomato and rosemary. I highly encourage those more experimental folks to try the dish! The only drawback, my wife found her favorite Finger Lake region wine, but it was only served by the bottle. She did find a suitable replacement by the glass though. We finished our meal with two scrumptious desserts; she the Hudson Valley apple crumble/cake, and I the flourless chocolate cake. Both were served with locally made vanilla ice cream on the side. A joy for the palate! With an after dinner cordial, the total meal came in just under $100.00 and was well worth every penny. The restaurant boasts that ingredients are served farm to table in most of their meals, and all the ingredients tasted fresh. Along with fresh baked bread and olive oil for dipping, this was an enjoyable meal and a place we will be happy to come to again! The atmosphere was cozy, relaxed and intimate. Definitely a perfect setting for "date night"!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank abk109
Dear abk109,

Thanks for your great review of One Caroline! We love to hear when customers enjoy their experience. I'm also glad that she was able to find a good wine by the glass. Unfortunately, we can only keep a certain number of wines by the glass, but we do rotate it frequently. Hopefully we'll have it next time you come!

We change up the menu frequently and look forward to having you both back to try out our latest creations!

Albany, New York
“Unique character and tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I visited during Restaurant week, so I ordered off of their modified 'Restaurant Week' menu which had some great choices. The waitstaff was prompt and courteous, and I was allowed to be seated while I waited for the rest of my group to arrive, which I appreciated. I enjoyed the atmosphere - it is cozy with some nice background music. It was loud enough to feel "lively" (if that makes sense) without being too loud. My courses were timed well, so that I would get my drinks, then appetizer, etc. Everything was very delicous and hot. I will hope to go back again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank greenwaterbrush
Dear greenwaterbrush,

Thanks for your review! Restaurant week is a great opportunity to meet some new customers and show some of what One Caroline is all about.

I hope you come back and try our regular menu sometime. We are always coming up with some great options, and we have live music 7 nights a week!

Hope to see you soon.

North Creek, New York
“Lovely Atmosphere, Great Food, Great staff, Creative Kitchen.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have heard good thongs about One Caroline for a while and finally got to try it. Located just a few steps off Main street on Caroline St. it is easy to find. We had diner here early on a Saturday in March. We were quite impressed. The Staff was lovely and attentive. The menu offered some really different selections and the specials were equally interesting.

We started with the fresh bread with good olive oil, and a bottle of the Don David Malbec, a great wine for the $s. The special "Market Salad" was a green salad with lovely fresh greens over roasted peppers, slices of a seafood terrine(Shrimp, salmon and Scallops) topped with tangy micro beet greens and a great creamy Roquefort dressing the flavors all went together wonderfully.

Our first main was the Sticky Chicken: which was a lovely surprise; A generous portion of very fresh chicken cooked with peppers and onions in a sweet dark beer reduction, all served over a tasty dirty rice. All with just a little spiciness to set off the flavors and the sweetness. NICE!.

Our second entree was the Blackened Catfish over Pecan, molasses, sweet potatoes also braised Kale with collards. WOW. This was some of the only REALLY blackened fish I have had out side of the south. Usually blackened fish is not that interesting. I ordered this to see what they could do. It came out truly Black. A lovely portion, the flavor was perfectly balanced with the spice and the texture was still juicy. Bravo the the chef on that one! The sweet potatoes were a great compliment to the spice and the Kale and collards were delicious.
For Desert we shared a Lemon Crembrulle and a glass of Sandeman 20 year port. The lemon came through in a wonderful way, the top was crispy and sweet.

Overall we were quite impressed with our fist visit here. I want to come back and try the small plates selections. The atmosphere here is lovely, maybe a little dark but certainly intimate. When we arrived at 6pm it was pretty quiet but as the evening progressed and the place filled, it became quite busy. The staff seemed to keep pace with the crowd and everyone looked to be enjoying their meals I know we did. They have live music many nights, we had tickets to a performance at Cafe Lena, so could not stay and see the music.

Bottom line. This is a great place for a fine dinner in downtown Saratoga Springs. The place is great! The food is very good,way above average with a diverse selection. The emphasis on farm to table can be seen and tasted in each dish. The staff is well versed in the menu and wine list. Chef Garret has a good sense of flavor combinations and seasoning. Things tend towards well seasoned delicately spicy, just quite tasty.There are so many mediocre restaurants in tourist towns like Saratoga it is refreshing to find a really good one. We will be back and probably write more.
Enjoy!!

• Visited March 2014
Brian K, Owner at One Caroline, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear CampGaruda,

Thanks for your review! We take a lot of pride in our food and the overall experience at One Caroline, so we're thrilled that you enjoyed your evening with us.

We do have live music 7 night a week, with a variety of style. I hope you can come and join us again soon and stay for some tunes!

Cheers!