“Beware the chef”

Newark, Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beware the chef”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The owner/chef, (consistent with most of his brethren), is loathe to actually cook your steak, so if you want him to do more than pass it fleetingly over a flame, abandon all hope ... order pasta instead. I have an aversion to feeling like I'm performing surgery in the middle of a restaurant, and had hoped that my strenuously expressed desire to at least be provided with a steak that was "medium" to the waitress would be adequate to ensure that at least enough heat had been introduced to the meat to assure cauterization, but alas, no such luck ... and the waitress made it clear that the owner/chef was in no mood to compromise when my meal was delivered.

Additionally, if you want to actually have a conversation with the people you are dining with, ask to be seated as far away from the owner's jazz ensemble, which is situated in the midst of the dining area, as possible.

The waitress was absolutely superlative. That notwithstanding, we shall not be returning to this establishment.

New York
“Excellent dinner”
Reviewed July 27, 2008

food was very good, drinks good, service good. only thing was they were late with the reservation and we had a long wait but they comped a round of drinks and an appetizer which was very considerate.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Too expensive for what you get.”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Too expensive for what you get.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Cape Coral, Florida
“Great Food, Music and More”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Visited July 20, 2008 just before the opening of the Saratoga Race Track. This little night spot is just a half block off the tourist main drag of Broadway Street but well worth seeking out. I had the prairie grass beef with Bourbon pepers sauce and it was outstanding. My wife had the sticky chicken and dirty rice and loved it. The gumbo was also one of the best we have had. Service was friendly and relaxed yet professional and the liquor drinks were perfect. Live jazz entertainment is more in line with an older crowd and this is not the place to bring kids. Couple tips: parking on the weekends can be a problem and after 7 PM you may have a wait for a table--come early. Highly recomended romantic couples place.

New York, NY
“Food and service of poor quality - do not recommend”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I had high expectations for this place based on the recommendation of our hotel (the adelphi), but was extremely disappointed.

We had a reservation and were immediately informed that we had our choice of tables that were both described to us as "bad locations," according to the hostess - right next to the piano or in the back corner.

We waited a long time to order. When the waitress finally came to take our order, my brother wanted a burger - the waitress informed my brother that they were out of burgers. He ordered the steak instead. The waitress informed him that the steak was "tough" and asked if that would be ok. Why they were serving admittedly tough steak I had no idea. Also, the steak was advertised on the menu as being an 8 oz. sirloin steak, but it was actually a grisly, chopped steak. I order the shirmp and scallop penne a la vodka and was informed that it would not contain scallops. As an appetizer, we ordered the "jumbo shrimp" - in reality it was four very small shrimp. When we asked the waitress about this, the only explanation she could give was that she warned us.

We waited over an hour and a half for our entrees to arrive. When we complained, both the hostess and waitress were brazenly rude and unaccommodating, informing us that we had actually only been waiting 35 minutes for our entree and that was acceptable. She claimed that this was based on when our order was input into the computer - the waitress was very distracted and clearly did not input our order right away. Our reservation was for 8pm and we weren't served our entrees until 9:45.

It was an overall terrible dining experience - when the food actually arrived the portions were very small (and of poor quality as noted above) and overpriced in my opinion. Of all the dining options in Saratoga, this is the last place I would go.

3 Thank casualdiner81