“It's the little things that count!”

Courtyard Saratoga Springs
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
West Hartford, CT
“It's the little things that count!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Yahoo, no bedspread but a nice clean white duvet, not one but two shelves in the shower for shampoo and soap, chocolate chip cookies on check-in and a Starbucks in the Lobby. Free WiFi, helpful friendly staff, great location, clean and no smoking. What more could a weary traveler or parent visiting a college student want?

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Vermont
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I stay in Saratoga Springs pretty regularly as I have a son in college there. I have stayed in several different hotels, and thought they were all fine, but I think this may be my new favorite. Saratoga is never a bargain, and can be crazy some times of the year, considering its size. This property stands out as it is right in town, but in a super quiet location. We could walk into town, and walked back from a performance at Skidmore. The room was large,clean, and also quiet. Our room had two queen beds, very comfortable. Also love that the windows open. The price was much lower than I've ever paid at the nearby, but much louder, Hampton Inn. The public spaces were also nice, a renovation will be complete this week, everything looked great. Parking was plentiful, we'll be back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jclVermont
Guilderland, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We recently had another overnight at the Courtyard and we were pleasantly surprised to see the new updates the hotel was doing. The new lobby looks fantastic! We were in town for restaurant week and found the staff to be very helpful with suggestions on where to eat in town. The staff as always goes above and beyond with their customer service. We also liked the complimentary breakfast that the hotel offered while the update at the hotel is on going. We look forward to returning again!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fmax
Albany, NY
Reviewed March 24, 2014

***CONSIDERING STAYING HERE? - THIS IS A MUST READ***

Last week I was about to book this hotel in order to attend a Red Cross Fire & Ice Ball at the City Center on the evening of Saturday 3/22 and noticed a website warning indicating that the lobby was being renovated and that the food service was being moved. The exact message that is displayed when attempting to book this hotel on the Marriott website is as follows:

"Renovation Information – Public space renovation March 3-April 15, 2014. Food and beverage service will be temporarily relocated within the hotel or in our new banquet facility adjacent to the hotel." -->Notice the word "relocated" not the words different, interrupted, unavailable, etc.

Being concerned, I then called the reservation line to see how bad the "relocation" was going to be to us having breakfast on Sunday. I was assured via phone by the reservationist that "all services would be available" (right from my notes of the conversation) and that they "were just moving breakfast to another area of the hotel." We were also told upon check-in, after seeing the extent of the lobby renovation, that breakfast would be served in suite S-17 "as usual" and that the bar was also located there if we wanted a drink.

Sunday morning, we headed down to suite S-17 and the place was packed beyond comfortable capacity, loud with about 15+ people who seemed to be together and the room was hot, dirty, etc. This room size was totally inadequate to make up for the lost lobby space. We looked around and there was only a cheap continental breakfast available, not the full breakfast we were misled into believing would still be available (i.e. "relocated" service means no difference). Since the place we so packed the breakfast attendant indicated "you can sit on the couch" since it was the only place left to sit. Not an option for us when trying to eat breakfast, so the renovation was not properly planned with an adequate sized alternative space to accommodate the volume of guests.

I then shared my frustration with Sandy at the front desk via hotel phone and she indicated that they would try to add points to my account to make up for the inconvenience. When I arrived at the front desk, Sandy then didn't offer me any Marriott rewards points as she promised via phone, handed me the General Manager's business card (Megan Hennessey) and told me to e-mail my complaint to her. Really?! Is this really good customer service to ask the guest to inconvenience themselves to e-mail a problem to the hotel GM vs. the GM proactively calling or e-mailing the guest to find out what went wrong?! Sandy also went on to explain that they were in the last group of the hotels to install the new Bistro style food service and that not everyone really likes the new concept. She offered the example of locals coming into the hotel just for the made-to-order omelets that would no longer frequent the hotel when the new changes are made. I voiced my displeasure regarding this change and told her I wouldn't like it either as we really liked the full breakfast arrangement we had enjoyed in the past at the property.

In addition to all of the above, the controls to room heating unit (room 322) were in a state of disrepair. The phone near the bed also did not work. Lastly, the room was also very dry causing us to be totally dehydrated on Sunday morning.

Bottom line: This property has poorly maintained rooms, has hotel management that doesn't care or follow-up regarding guest issues, renovation alternatives were not planned out properly and are totally inadequate for the volume of weekend guests, instructions given to guests regarding renovations are false & misleading and lead to total guest disappointment.

I have stayed at this hotel many times over many years, but it is now doubtful I will ever return due to this hotel being mismanaged.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank STEBAY711
MAHCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and for sharing your experience with the Courtyard Saratoga Springs. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.
You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area. Our renovation will be complete on April 18th, we hope to see you again.

Megan Hennessey
(518) 226-0538
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

this hotel will be great as soon as the work is completed. The staff seem to be well trained and are personable . Rooms are average but the location is perfect. it is an easy walk to downtown shopping and restaurants. Check to see that work is completed before booking....then enjoy.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReddyBro
MAHCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our property. As you mentioned we are undergoing a complete lobby renovation, and I would like to appologize for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay. The progress we are exprienceing is very impressive with regards to the lobby renovation. I was pleased to hear of the positive feedback you mentioned with our staff and hotel overall. Our renovation will be completed on April 15h, and I would love to invite you back to the property the next time you visit Saratoga Springs. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact me. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property.

Megan Hennessey
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Just stayed here for the 2nd time in the past few months. On our first visit the room and bathroom seemed dirty. I mentioned it while chatting at check-out (not complaining) and was assured that it was a housekeeping fluke and to please consider staying again at a discount.

They were so nice so I went ahead and made a reservation for more business I needed to do in Saratoga. At check-in everyone was just lovely and I was given keys to a room on a different floor. The room could stand another vacuum and the hair dryer was covered in dust.

The location is great and the staff really welcomes you and makes you feel at home.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Netlizard
MAHCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We're happy to see there were a number of things that you were pleased with. We certainly appreciate the positive feedback on the service provided by our staff. However, it is disappointing to read that you were not satisfied with the room cleanliness. We hope you will choose to give us another chance the next time you are in Saratoga. The issues with the room you commented on will certainly be discussed with the housekeeping staff. Feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property.

Megan Hennessey, General Manager
Hartford
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was not our first stay at this hotel. We have stayed at the Residence up the street as well and prefer that one. We were wondering on this trip how you can build two hotels at the same time and have one seem so much older than the other??
On this trip our room on the third floor had a clogged tub drain so our showers were tainted with other people's DNA. Perfect. We found another person's eyeglasses as well - along with sunflower seeds - behind the nightstand.
We definitely prefer the Residence. They seem to be more detail oriented, but for the price the Courtyard is doable - except for the plumbing issue.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MAHCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and thank you for offering your feedback. Our goal is to provide 100% satisfaction to all guests, and I am disappointed to hear we did not achieve that goal with your stay. The cleanliness issues you commented on have been discussed with our team, and action has been taken to prevent them in the future. We will also be undergoing a lobby renovation here soon, and would love for you to see it for your next visit. We welcome all feedback, as this only helps us to improve. Again, we apologize that you were not pleased with your stay, but we would appreciate the opportunity to show you that this was not typical of our standards if traveling to the Saratoga area in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Megan Hennessey, General Manager