“culture close to home”

Saratoga Performing Arts Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Summertime cultural and entertainment venue features performances in a sheltered amphitheatre or "under the stars." The Center is the summer home of the New York City Ballet and the Philadelphia Orchestra.
Greenfield Center, New York, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“culture close to home”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Love SPAC as we call it. Wish people would support the NYC Ballet & Philly Ochestra a bit more as they don't know what they are missing!
Live nation concerts have been big this year

New York City, New York
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great place for a show but bad parking”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I saw zac Brown band on 8/31/2013. The venue was very good, great sound and full services. There a good variety of food and full service bars and a long lists of beers. But parking is very poorly managed, and the exit organization by the park is non existent. Plan for a long wait after the show.

Visited August 2013
“Worst parking situation... ever!!!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Got tickets for my wife on her birthday to Luke Bryan / Thompson Square / Florida Georgia Line. They were all "sounded" great because we could not see them. The lawn was so crowded we sat on a dirt hill that had about a 60 degree decline and attempted to watch the concert on a big screen. So much for seeing the acts "live".
That was certainly not the worst part of our day. Getting to and out of the park was a nightmare. I guess they failed to train Park police in handling traffic. On our way into the park, our GPS said 1.4 miles remaining. It took 1.5 hours for us to cover that distance. And once we did, we were directed to park on a patch of grass up and over a curb around the corner behind a kiddie swimming pool. So not a parking lot. Then on the way out... I am not sure if I can even talk about that. We got in line and never moved an inch for 30 minutes. We eventually decided to get out of line and pulled over where I shut the car off and proceeded to take a two-hour nap. Yes, two-hours! Once awake, we followed the line out. Completely outrageous. Park police were only traffic go one direction, but they were not utilizing both lanes.
S.P.A.C. is a unique venue if you go for something small. I would not recommend if a headliner is performing, unless you decide to pitch a tent next to your vehicle and leave the parking lot the next morning.

Ottawa, ON
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“I'll never go back to SPAC”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I came to SPAC with my family to see Luke Bryan on August 25th. Foolishly, I assumed that when I purchased lawn tickets to this concert I would be able to actually *see* the performer I came to watch. Turns out I had that all wrong. You see, when you go to SPAC to see a popular performer and you purchase lawn seats, a small spot on the lawn is all you can really be assured of. Forget being able to actually see the performance, unless your idea of a "performance" is witnessing the seemingly never-ending parade of drunks stagger past.

This event was way oversold for the size of the venue. I suppose the promoter Live Nation bears some responsibility for this. The crowds were horrendous. As a result, the lawn area directly behind the concession stands was the only area we could really go to sit down. Here, there was absolutely no chance of seeing any of the performance itself. We really would have been better off sitting in the parking lot and listening to it for free. At the very least, SPAC should have provided a video screen for those people in the lawn to watch the show. This is a dated venue and it is due for a major retrofit. It's a shame, because the surrounding Saratoga Spa park is actually quite pretty.

Having driven down from Ottawa, Canada to watch this show, we were all quite disappointed. Next time we'll consider Bethel Woods as an alternative. The reviews I've read here indicate this is a much better venue.

PS: I should add that the parking situation is very confusing. We had to walk almost a mile back to our car afterwards in the dark!

1 Thank kanatakowboy08
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Disappointed is the understatement of the year”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I bought my husband and I lawn tickets for the Luke Bryan show on August 25th for his birthday and we were so excited to take the trip from Long Island to see the show as we're big country fans. We were on the road from our hotel at 4pm for a 7pm show, thought we'd have plenty of tim to tailgate...well we were wrong. It took over an hour and a half to go 2 MILES! The Saratoga Springs police force should be ashamed of themselves allowing the traffic lights (which make no sense in that town) to do the work on a show day.
When we finally found parking which was basically on a golf course in the middle of the woods we tailgated for 10 minutes and started our walk towards the arena. Once we got in we realized we were in trouble and this was not going to be fun. This was a half hour before the 1st opening act and there was no room on the lawn, the dirt area beyond the lawn or anywhere beyond that to even STAND and see a screen. We walked around for a half hour as we listened to Florida Georgia Line and tried to find a place where we could stand on something to see a screen but that wasn't even possible.
We had to walk all the way back towards the back entrance and sit on a little lawn area by a building. We were about 200 yards away from the area where the stage, yeah that's right, 2 football fields. Forget trying to see the stage, we couldn't even see any of the huge screens!! I could not even see Luke Bryan's leg on a screen. We felt like they sold out this venue TIMES 2! They should be ashamed of themselves for running a venue like this. We left after Luke played 3 songs because we might as well been sitting in our car in our driveway listening to his album and it wouldn't have been different. It was a total waste of $$ for the tickets and $$ for parking. I hope Luke Bryan knows how many disappointed fans he had there and people that left. Talk about a scam, this place should be shut down. Do not waste your money unless you are gonna pay for the more expensive seats because this place obviously does not know how to handle a headlining show.

2 Thank calilove16