“Convenient but ordinary”

The Inn at Saratoga
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Reviewed October 25, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Saratoga for one night. On the plus side it is located just a few blocks from the center of town, which has some nice shops, and picturesque Congress Park is across the street. However, you can't see the park grounds from the inn since a large brick motel blocks the view and the entrance to the park is a couple of blocks away. Another plus is the food in their dining room. We thought dinner was very good. Breakfast was typical - buffet style with pre-cooked food

The inn itself is not particularly attractive. It is not like the charming white clapboard colonial inns one see throughout New England. It is an ordinary wooden structure with a dark interior, a slightly threadbare appearance with no antiques and commonplace furnishings. A large three-story brick building, which contains the bulk of their rooms and where we stayed, has been added onto the back of the original inn and does not blend architecturally.

Our room was a typical motel-like room with no distinguishing features. There is no central air conditioning. All of the rooms have wall A/C units. Ours was very noisy and did not work properly. It stayed on all night but the room remained uncomfortably warm. Our bathroom, however, had a great high pressure shower head which so impressed us that we purchased one upon returning home.

We purchased a package deal, which included dinner, breakfast and a walking history tour. The tour was conducted by a very nice lady who took us through Congress park and some of the surrounding neighborhood to see some of the older homes while relating the history of Saratoga Springs and Congress Park. The cost for our package was $285.57.

Finally, I had reserved a suite but when we arrived no suites were available and we were put into one of their standard rooms. If you want just an ordinary place near downtown, the Inn at Saratoga is OK. Its best feature was the dinner we had in their dining room. The Gideon Putnam Hotel would have been a nicer choice but is not as convenient since they are located relatively far from downtown.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank dianders

Reviewed July 23, 2005

I just got back from Saratoga Springs and a three night stay at the Inn at Saratoga Springs. The inn is quite charming and lovely. After viewing pictures online, I never imagined that I would have one of the rooms shown. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door of my room and was staying in one of those rooms! The room was large, nicely appointed and very clean. Each evening, I came back to a room that had been freshly made up with fresh towels and bathroom amenities. As I was at a conference, I didn't have breakfast at the inn, but I do know that dinner there was quite good.

Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank Francais50
New York
Reviewed July 21, 2005

I reserved a room over the internet on their website. The rate I was quoted was not honoured when I arrived at the Inn. The manager on duty (male) was not helpfull at all. Room was clean but average and was overpriced for what we received. Breakfast was limited

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 10, 2005

We stayed here for one night on a weekend and were disappointed. The room was OK but not luxury at all. If you do decide to stay here, be careful what room you get. Avoid rooms in the low 220's. We stayed in a room on the second floor that had a window facing Broadway Ave and the road noise was terrible. Car and large truck traffic went on throughout the entire night. There is a traffic light right on the corner which would have tractor trailers stop and start outside the window. We finally had to turn on the "window" air-conditioner, even though it was cold outside, just to drown out the noise.

When we checked in, no one made mention of the short complimentary breakfast hours. We showed up at 10 am on a weekend morning only to find out that the complimentary breakfast stopped at 9:30. No other food was available. We have done a lot of traveling and never run into a hotel that aspired to be a luxury hotel that stopped serving breakfast at 9:30 on a weekend. When we asked about breakfast, the manager was not very aplogetic. I later discovered that the hours were listed on a handout that the hotel provides and were in the small print at item 6 or 7 on the list. It almost felt like they were hoping a certain percentage of the clients miss it to save money.

I strongly recommend that you look for other options with more recent positive reviews.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 22, 2005

In my opinion this is the best place for the money within walking distance of downtown and the track..

Good prices for Saratoga but don't tell anyone - they may raise them!

Nice breakfast room also. All in all, a good choice.

6  Thank TheodoreVerde
Reviewed November 27, 2004

I was recently in Saratoga for a conference and stayed at this hotel. I enjoyed my stay very much and plan to return in the spring with my husband.

The whole place is cozy and understated. The decor almost made me feel like I'd stepped back in time, even though it was a modern hotel I felt that it retained a lot of old-fashioned charm.
I loved my room and found it extremely inviting and comfortable. There was also free internet access in the room, which may be the norm; I wouldn't know since I don't travel on business often. But it was great to be able to plug in my laptop and take care of some things. The continental breakfast was also nice.

8  Thank MrsProfessor
Reviewed May 30, 2004

We stayed at the Inn at Saratoga over Memorial Day weekend. Despite the holiday weekend, I received a reasonable rate for a very large suite which also came with breakfast. We were impressed with the Inn's accommodations: a spacious suite with a very large living room with pull out sofe, and additional seating areas. The king bedroom was equally large with another couch and lovely furniture, making the suite seem less like a hotel room and more like a home. The Inn is quite close to downtown Saratoga and almost across the street from the park with winding paths and lovely vistas. The breakfast was a bit spartan, but plentiful with one hot entree and assorted breads and pastries.
All the employees were polite and helpful. In all, it was a great stay and I highly recommend the Inn.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member