“Typical Mexican in Capital Region”
Review of El Mexicano

El Mexicano
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I have found that most Mexican style restaurants in this area are typically the same. I would say Cantinas on Broadway Saratoga has a different flair or status to it. But El Mexicano is just like the rest. It is a more comfortable, casual, mid-end food house. The decor, wait staff and menu are perceive to be very aunthentic.

Some pros - the food was decent. Dont know rating to true Mexican fare but it at least tasted good. My wife got a steak, who normally would not, said it was very good. The little things here are good too. Chips and salsa on the house, plain and small yet again, on the house cheese quesadilla's. Also free desert treat for the table - they even offered free shots of tequilia for us. Staff was reasonably nice yet their lack of english/mannerism makes it seem a bit pushy.

So as the food was decent, the prices seemed a bit steep. Most entrees were 18-20... now that doesnt seem like a lot I guess but it creates a question when the steaks are 20 but everything else is reasonbly closely priced. Apps were bout 4-10. Again, only seems pricey when most places are more 14-20.. get it? For 5 people witj no drinks and an app, 100 bucks. So not terrible. The servings were there though.

One horrible thing is the parking. Good luck!

There are 3 or 4 places just like this in the downtown toga area, let alone the capital region. Find your spot and enjoy. If ya want to try something new, give it a whirl.

I'd say for the money, it can be a bit pricey too, hit up El Loco on Madison in Albany. But if you are stayin up north, there are others to choose from.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I never thought that I would be this critical of a restaurant however El Mexicano is simply the worst place I have eaten since first discovering tripadvisor. The decor was inviting enough and the wait staff were friendly. That is the good. THE BAD: We were out about mid-afternoon and decided to order appetizers and soup instead of main courses. We ordered the Nachos ($7.50) and each of us ordered the Tortilla Soup ($5.50 for a bowl) at the recommendation of our waiter. The Nachos came quickly and could only be described as twelve thin soggy chips covered with an ooze of thick, greasy and stringy cheese with a few teaspoon size plops of re-fried beans along with 5 small pieces of canned jalapenos as a garnish. It was a tiny portion but the taste was so bad we did not finish it. Our waiter asked if we like it and we were direct and stated emphatically that it was a terrible menu item and almost inedible. He was unapologetic but, he came back quickly with our soup. The soup was a bowl of greasy liquid with three small cubes of tasteless cheese (I think), and a few strips of a tortilla, 2 small slices of an avocado and a teaspoon of queso fresco. Simply the worst soup ever! None of us finished the soup. The waiter delivered a complimentary small, deep fried tortilla to each of us that was stuffed with a bit of fruit and two dollops of whipped cream. It was as bad as the other items offered and it was left half eaten be each of us. AVOID THIS PLACE unless it is the ONLY place left on earth and you have not eaten for 3 days. The best I can say is we didn't get sick!!!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is our third time at El Mexicano and I have to say that while we really enjoyed the first two times, this time was a real disappointment and I doubt we'll ever return. First, plain chicken fajitas with no rice or beans and we had to ask for sour cream was $20 - green peppers and onions only - how much is that to make? I can get something of equal value and quality at other Mexican restaurants for $15 or less.

When our bill came and drinks were so expensive with no explanation of how much each drink was, I asked how much my Diet Pepsi was.....$2.00 but no free refills. The waiters were very quick to ask if I wanted another soda so I assumed it was at no charge since only upscale restaurants typically charge for refills of soda. So, I paid $6.00 for mostly ice.

All in all, not good value and with all the other good restaurants in Saratoga, I'll be going elsewhere on my next visit.

1  Thank Honfleur28
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My husband and I were traveling home to Buffalo from Vermont. We stopped here and were starving by the time we arrived. Happily we were greeted with warm tortilla chips and salsa as soon as we sat down. Soon after that, we were brought complimentary quesadillas! Our food came very quickly and it was delicious! The staff was very friendly and attentive, our glasses of water never even got close to half empty. At the end of our meal we were also offered complimentary dessert. Everything we had was excellent and we would definitely eat there again if we are in the area.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Well yes, the owners are from Mexico and the extras are nice, but, service is slow and the food a bit bland (meat had no seasoning what so ever), but, serves it purpose in a town with very little ethnic offerings.

1  Thank kajack