“Shashimi ”

Osaka Sushi House
Ranked #111 of 270 Restaurants in Saratoga Springs
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

Was looking for sushi and shashimi found this place.

Nice atmosphere. Service very fast. Everyone very polite and nice.

Sushi was good and ditto for the shashimi.

Three stars.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed December 29, 2017 via mobile

We have eaten here many times!
Delicious Sushi, Japanese &Thai
Dishes! The service is very good and they do takeout.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed May 22, 2017

Best sushi in town for sure...always fresh, generous portions and tasty. Nice selection of sake if you like that.
I would recommend going there at least 30 minutes before they close, because if you go last minute the fish might all be put away and although they will graciously serve you, I always feel a little rushed, maybe more in my head.
Nevertheless, I frequent the place and never walk away disappointed.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed December 6, 2016

I've been going to this place since it first opened in 2010. Their sushi is very good as well as the other items on their menu. Try the Tuna Tataki. Prices are reasonable and if you sit at the sushi bar depending on the chef you might get a lil surprise.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed September 4, 2016

OK, so this is my third review of this place. As I mentioned in my previous review last year (July 2015), Osaka used to be great but then service went downhill. (Long detailed previous review here).

Well, recently we decided to give it another try in hopes that they corrected the service issues. In fact - this time we gave them 4 more tries, summer 2016.

Two out of the four were good experiences, but the other two have made me so angry that I'm prompted to post this "1 star" review in hopes that whomever owns the place reads this and decided to get their collective act together.

Twice recently this has happened:

We (party of 2) arrive at 8:45pm on a Saturday night during track season.

Their web site listing says they're open until 11:30pm on Saturday nights.

The sign on their door says they're open until 10:00pm on Saturday nights.

So you'd think 8:45pm on Saturday night is a safe bet for party of two, right?

Nope. We walk in the door, place is empty except for staff, two young girls at cash register. We ask if they're open.

Now, it's hard to accurately explain the response we get without this review being rejected by Trip Advisor. Apparently if you step even slightly near a politically-incorrect line here, your review will be rejected no matter who true and honest it is, so I'm going to have to work around some wording here...

The girl at the register says to us, in a "hard to understand" way - "takeout or table?"

We reply - "well, we just came in asked if you're open for dinner, so yes we'd like a table".

The girls at the register speak to each other in a language other than English before answering, and she responds - "no, we are (unintelligible)".

We say - "your Google listing says you're open until 11:30pm, and the sign on the door says 10:00pm"

She says (again, I'm translating somewhat) - "we really close at 9:30pm"

I look at my phone clock in hopes that she will realize how ridiculous this is, since it's 8:45pm (2 hours before their web listing close time, over an hour before the sign on the door's close time, and 45 minutes before the time she just told me they close... but no luck... she's not going to help piece this together).

And so I politely commented - "your site says 11:30, the sign on the door say 10, and I'm here before 9".

More non-English chatter takes place between staff.

She says something to us that's hard to determine, but one thing was clear - "no, sorry".

I say - "well, you should change the sign at least. Goodnight".

One of the young men behind the Sushi bar is heard making a rude comment to us (he didn't realize we'd walked out the door yet) , and we went to Applebee's where we were met with a smile and a menu.

This is not our first experience in which:

A.) The young employees here close this place over 45 minutes early on a Saturday night.

and

B.) Staff members make rude comments about customers in a different language, not realizing that some of us have wives who understand more than just English.

I have to leave out some critical details because, based on experience here with TripAdvisor, the review would be rejected if we tell you exactly what happened and what was said and the behavior of the staff.

Too bad. When this place is good (and open) it's really quite good. But when they're bad / unreliable (which is apparently 50% of the time based on our figures) it's downright insulting.

Date of visit: September 2016