Saratoga Springs Food Tours
Review Highlights
Food,facts,full,fun.. loved it

Myself and 5 childhood friends were up in Saratoga for a long weekend, to celebrate our 50th... read more

Reviewed October 27, 2019
mommyto3loves
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful Saratoga Spring food tour

A big part of the tour was done at the market. This was a little disappointing because we were... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 23, 2019
dianecopelan

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 29, 2015

My sister, 9 year-old niece and I took this tour as part of an annual girls' weekend.

Since other reviewers have documented the stops/foods along the tour, my comments are focused on the less tangible aspects that made our experience special:

The first was the mood created by our tour guide (and SSFT owner), Joe. His laid-back attitude and warmth created an ambiance that was more relaxed than other tours I've taken. He deftly balanced the pacing of the tour and its many stops with letting us linger a bit here and there to ask questions, make a quick purchase, and use the restrooms that were thoughtfully included/pointed out all along the route.

The second was Joe's ability to make the tour equally engaging for adults and children. There were four children and four adults in our group, and Joe seamlessly wove historical facts with (mild) ghosts stories, and facts about local foods and farms with inviting the farmers/producers to tell their own stories. A note on that latter-most point: Joe's strong relationship with the vendors contributed greatly to our experience. Dave, a dairy farmer, noticed my niece's rapture as she enjoyed his (sublime!) maple yogurt and offered her extra portions and a little spoon "for later"; and Hayley, a certified olive oil taster, mixed additional flavors for the children (e.g. an oil and balsamic combo that tasted subtly like peanut butter and jelly).

The third aspect was completely circumstantial, but it contributed so much to the flavor of our tour that it bears acknowledgement. We were one of two families on the tour this past Saturday; the other was Joe's son and his wife, along with their three children, all of whom were visiting from out of state. We didn't learn that until we had been on the tour for a bit, which is a testament to Joe's professionalism and attentiveness. Once we did know, the tour felt all the more like a celebration of food, family, and community.

Many thanks to Joe, his family, and all of the kind merchants and producers who contributed to a memorable girls' weekend!

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank LadyCake17
Reviewed May 10, 2015

I was visiting for the day and thought this would be fun and a good way to learn more about Saratoga, but it exceeded all my expectations. We got to taste local artisanal products at the farmers market (whose director told us is voted best in the nation), a delicious appetizer at a quaint, lovely old tavern, an incredible assortment of exquisite oils and vinegars at Saratoga Olive Oil Co., and much more.

Best of all was getting to know the people who craft and serve these items, and especially the storytelling skills of tour guide Joe! He has a gift for imparting not only the fascinating history of Saratoga but also myriad tales of Saratoga lore. What fun! I had a fabulous time from start to finish. If you go to Saratoga, don't miss this tour!

Date of experience: May 2015
2  Thank JBrizzi
Reviewed October 13, 2014

A great time to be had at the local farmers market and businesses. We thoroughly enjoyed this tour and highly recommend it! It was an enjoyable and interesting afternoon.

Date of experience: October 2014
1  Thank Greg F
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We loved all the food and the history. Jim is wonderful guide and storyteller! Great way to see the town.

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank EKadventure
Reviewed June 16, 2014

A friend and I visited Saratoga before the official racing season started. I had been there last year while horse season was in full tilt, so this time I wanted to slow it down a notch and really take in Saratoga before all the excitement began.
Being a "foodie" I wanted to experience this particular city's food tour and what a treat it was. Our guide (Joe) was personable and just brimming with information to share. As we leisurely made our way in and around the Farmers Market, we were treated to "tastings" of this and a bit of that. It was fun, laid back and very informative! We were introduced to folks who were so passionate about what they did and how they did it no matter where Joe took us on this tour. We had the pleasure of: tasting & learning about the best...Saratoga has to offer.
Whether you go before or while their season is in full swing, Saratoga Food Tours is a MUST DO.

Date of experience: June 2014