“Best Italian at the Spa”

Mama Mia's Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Authentic Italian restaurant serving Italian specialty dishes; seafood, veal, chicken and steak. Also serving pasta and brick oven pizza. Homemade Italian pastries. Take-out. Dine-In. Catering Available. Party Room. Full Bar.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is our number one choice in Saratoga and there are many Italian places to choose from.
Don't be fooled by the strip mall location. Their pizzas are famous, but this is real Italian food.
Ironically, my favorite is the artichoke French appetizer with polenta and a wonderful lemon butter sauce. Get a love plate to share. Always look for the specials because they are excellent.
Last week I had cod on a bed of sauteed escarole with slivers of fennel and fronds of dill; combination unbelievably good. Homemade pappardelle and meatballs is a must try on the red side. Veal with sausage and peppers will be as good as you have ever had. Red wine selection by owner Giuseppe is wide ranging and reasonably priced. Joe and the wait staff are very helpful and attentive. Within the last two years they have added a full service bar and fantastic pastry counter. No matter how full you are, if you walk out that door, you'll be tempted to get something for tomorrows breakfast. You can pay a lot more for wannabe upscale Italian in this town, especially during the 40 day thoroughbred meet, but the food won't match MamaMia for quality and service and especially not for value.

1  Thank ferryspotter

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The food was good and reasonably priced. We liked the variety and everything was prepared to our taste.

1  Thank imkirsch
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Old LI Italian guy is pretty demanding when it comes to italian food. This place hits the mark. Four of us each had something different. All very good. The penne alla mamma's had nice, fresh ingredients and was piping hot made to order. The fresh fettuccine with shrimp, asparagus and portobellos was superb. Even the basics, chicken parm, was fresh and nicely prepared. We are going back this week.

Date of visit: July 2013
1  Thank vinman47
Reviewed August 4, 2013

When I say that I selected Mama Mia's as my first choice for an anniversary celebration, you better know that it is top shelf cooking. No, you would not think so from outside--you might expect a typical pizza place. But inside is a gem--larger and so much more delightful than expected. The only problem is that others have discovered it over the years, so make a reservation or plan to wait in good cheer, for you have ahead of you a creative, seasonal and authentic experience prepared by talent. If you are looking for your neighborhood boring, out if the jar Italian don't go there. If you want flavors that pop, exciting specials, and the opportunity to stretch your awareness of what great Italian means, this is the place. The chef owner and his wife couldn't try harder to please--and they succeed. When chefs and determined foodies tell you to go, you know you have a great night ahead.

1  Thank sabrelady
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I love the pizza at Mama Mia's! It is the best LI style pizza in the area. I understand the owner is originally from Glen Cove and has been able to recreate the LI style pizza right here in Saratoga! Most of the dishes are very good, I have never been disappointed with any dish that I ordered. It is disappointing to go in at 8pm and see 2 or 3 slices of pizza left with people still coming in. I would like to see a little more effort put into having more slices available. The service and more importantly the attitude of the staff does not match the level of food. There seems to be snippyness that many of the waitresses display. I keep hoping to see the management reign them in a bit and am disappointed to say I am still waiting. Our waitress slapped a pizza down on the standard elevated tray right over our drinks (soda and water). We were not able to access our drinks, we had to move them from under the the tray without knocking them or the pizza tray over. A more attentive waitress would make for a happier customer. So many good home style Italian eateries have a gracious hospitality spirit, this is not one of them. The restaurant was very hot, the rear dining area was a bit cooler, but still uncomfortably hot. I found it odd that when we left and went next door to the Mama Mia's Bakery the air conditioning was actually chilly! There were a few people in there having drinks and desserts but it was very cool compared to the very uncomfortably hot dining room. It is nice to see the tables and chairs outside on the sidewalk but I have noticed that the sidewalk has been littered and dirty. So, great food, great pizza, yes. Feeling special as a customer, not so much. Why does everyone love Disney World? Because they know customer service. Mama Mia should learn a thing or two from Disney!

Date of visit: July 2013