“Food is excellent. The waitstaff not attentive too many errors.”

Blue Hen Restaurant
Reserve a Table
Today
8:00 PM
OR
Description: The Blue Hen elegantly melds Saratoga Springs' Victorian heritage with The Adelphi Hotel's modern epicurean sensibilities. Inspired in part by the Blue Toed Hen, a notable establishment that once stood near the hotel, our focus is on warm hospitality and classic fine dining, set against a spectacularly beautiful backdrop. Impeccable service and fine artisanal details combine to create an unmistakably refined dining experience. Local, sustainable ingredients are transformed into remarkably creative dishes for dinner and breakfast seven days a week in our stunningly designed glass conservatory. Simultaneously contemporary and timeless, The Blue Hen will exceed your every expectation.
Reviewed March 24, 2019

Two of us visited the Blue Hen on a Sunday evening. Normally my review would go directly to the restaurant but their web site contains no contact information for the restaurant . We were promptly seated, water brought to the table but it took an extraordinary amount of time for our drink orders. After our drinks were in our meal order was not taken in a prompt time. I had to ask twice for bread to be brought to the table. I had finished my salad and the entree was on the table before the rolls arrived. My entree was salmon. Cooked to perfection! I don't have any complaints about the food. At the conclusion of our meal we both ordered cappuccinos. They were both lukewarm bordering on cold. After flagging the waiter down they did bring over hot ones 10-15 min. later. No spoons, no sugar just the mugs of cappuccino. We are local and were highly disappointed.My reservations were made on open table. When we arrived home we got a notice that we had not arrived at the restaurant. Just one more disappointment regarding staff. For the price you pay to dine there service should be over the top. We had planned to bring out of town guests there next weekend but it appears that we will frequent one of the other fine dining restaurants in town.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed February 17, 2019 via mobile

Had a 7:30 reservation. Arrived at 7:25. Host took the coats from a group of four ahead of us. Came back and didn’t take ours. No big deal. We sat down a 7:30. Restaurant was busy but not every table was taken. We did not see a server or manager for an order or a glass of water for 18 minutes. We got up and left. So I guess I can’t rate the food or the drinks because we never got a chance to order. Two managers walking around more concerned with their appearance than the guests. If you’re going to run a “fine-dining” restaurant you should get a clue how to treat customers. We won’t be back.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank Schmere
Helen W, Manager at Blue Hen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2019

We are incredibly sorry to be reading this feedback, as we want nothing more than to provide exceptional dining experiences to all that visit. We can assure you we will be looking further into your concerns right away, and we invite you to contact patrickt@theadelphihotel.com if you would like to discuss this any further. We hope to reach a solution and invite you back from our guest. Thank you.

Reviewed February 3, 2019

From the second we entered until the second we left everything was beyond wonderful. The waitstaff and host were incredibly friendly and helpful. We had a couple cocktails off their menu which absolutely top shelf. Our appetizers of bisque and seared scallops were delicious and presented perfectly. She loved her entrée of Bison Short Ribs and my Strip Steak was one of the best I have had. We finished up with desserts of Paris Tea Pot Crème and Chestnut Cake were the perfect finish as well. The wine our server suggested also was a delightful pairing for the meal. I have now been to all three David Burkes restaurants ant The Adelphi and this one came out as my favorite. I am looking forward to returning.

Date of visit: February 2019
Helen W, Manager at Blue Hen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of your recent visit. We look forward to your return as well, and hope you will have an opportunity to do so in the very near future. If you have any additional feedback you would like to share about your experience, please contact patrickt@theadelphihotel.com.

Reviewed January 30, 2019

My wife and I visited the Blue Hen for brunch to celebrate our anniversary. The bright and warm setting was ideal for a wintry day. After a bit of a wait, a very attentive server took our order. We began with Warm Adelphi Brown Bread, which was delicious. Coffee and tea did not arrive until we were almost finished with the bread. My wife was pleased that her tea came without a tea bag and was steeped in a tea pot. My coffee (both first and second cup) was tepid. My wife ordered the Adelphi Omelette and was quite pleased. My order of Thomas Poultry Farm, Fresh Egg and Avocado arrived without and egg. When I asked about the egg, one was provided. It was up to me to lift the greens and place the egg where it should have been to begin with. In a restaurant of this caliber, I had expected that they would remove the dish and bring me afresh one with all the ingredients.

I had hoped for a great experience, but it was only okay.

Date of visit: January 2019
Helen W, Manager at Blue Hen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2019

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share the details of your visit. We are very sorry to read that you did not have the wonderful experience that we aim to provide to all of our great guests, and hope to have an opportunity to impress you thoroughly in the future. Please reach out to patrickt@theadelphihotel.com if there is anything we can do to make this a reality. Thank you.

Reviewed November 22, 2018 via mobile

my wife & I have been here many times before, with mixed experiences. Last time we loved the food and had terrible service. This time on Thanksgiving, there is only one word.

appalling!g

Let me say that I lower my expectants on a holidays. But even with that said the blue hen managed to go lower.

My appetizer, Brussel sprouts was dry and mediocre. The low point of the dinner was my pork tenderloin that I ordered medium. When served it was completely overcooked and on top of it it was completely cold! So, the plan was to pre-cook the tenderloin and warm it up in the microwave and than someone forgot to put it in the microwave? I returned the dish and got a new meal that was cooked to order but still well done. The waitress, Emeli, was friendly but no manager came to take notice.
We love fine dining , I have no problem paying good money for good food, but this was just appalling from start to finish.
to end on a positive note the Bordeaux was very good.

this was the worst meal in a fine dining restaurant for the last 100 meals!!

its a shame that the restaurant relies on its beautiful ambiance with no depth.

Date of visit: November 2018
Helen W, Manager at Blue Hen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2018

We are incredibly sorry to read that you did not enjoy the meal we recently served to you. We aim to provide the highest quality dining experiences to all guests, and are disheartened to read how disappointed you are. If there is anything we can do to ensure your satisfaction moving forward, please reach out to patrickt@theadelphihotel.com. We hope to speak with you soon.