“I wanted to like Longfellows, but...”

Longfellows Hotel, Restaurant, and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Reviewed July 20, 2012

It's a charming facility in a pretty part of town, stayed in the barn part, but the walls are paper thin. Could hear people in neighboring rooms like we were all staying together--one neighbor snored all night, wanted to slug him w/ my pillow (and thank god that's all that took place that night). The other neighbors talked all night.

The other issue started with a call to the front desk right after check in to let them know the bathroom sink clogs up and doesn't drain. Was told the maintenance man had gone for the day and I would have to wait til morning. I gave a little push back b/c we were checking out in the morn. They then was told me that I needed to wait for the manager to finish his conference call to see if he could get draino to solve the problem. All the while a "we'll take care of it as soon as possible" would have sufficed. There's absolutely no need to give me details about the maintenance worker's schedule and what the manager is doing, and anything about draino--all I care to hear is that you'll help me. Other room issues included a running toilet and faulty toilet paper holder that collapsed each time it was touched. So, wouldn't likely stay here again or recommend it to anyone. However, one thing I would recommend is the restaurant. Dinner was great and service was very good despite an extremely busy time.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank navigos
LongfellowsTeam, General Manager at Longfellows Hotel, Restaurant, and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

All the while a "we'll take care of it as soon as possible" would have sufficed. You’re absolutely right. It really is a very short comment and does give you, the guest, the understanding that your concern will be looked into and an effort will be made to fix your concern. Apologizes I feel should be sincere and short also. I hope you'll accept our apology, and be assured; we'll have conversation today with all our staff about over doing the explanation and focusing more on the solution.
Respectfully,
Dan Fortier
Longfellows Hotel

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have stayed at Longfellow's many times, with positive ratings. This time we were quite disappointed. Our room was not ready when we arrived. We were told that they were, ..." very understaffed...it's not our fault, we don't have enough help." We were given a different room than the one we reserved. In that room, a possible cleaning product that was scented was so strong, we had to air it out. The bathroom door did not close properly, and the TV remote was difficult to use unless it was held it in a particular spot. Our shower did not drain proplerly as there was standing water. Also, we chose not to bring to the attention of the front desk the sheet condition, there were long black hairs in them. We went to bed at such a late hour that we just did not want to deal with it. At the Continental Breakfast, the room temperature was very warm, and when we mentioned to a server that the coffee had run out, she responded, "I'm going as fast as I can!"
It may seem as some of these issues are minor, however we have come to expect high standards at Longfellow's, and we certianly don't expect to be treated with unprofessionalism by the staff.
We wrote these concerns to the manager and received no response.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S B
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My best friend had his wedding reception at Longfellows. They were great in terms of the reception. Very accommodating staff. Good food. Great setup, etc. We also spent the night at the hotel and was quite happy. Room size was nice, accommodations were very good overall. I would highly recommend this location for a reception of any kind or group gathering. But also if you're just looking for a place to stay in Saratoga Springs...this place is great. My one complaint...no on-site ATM?!?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was the third time we've had an overnight here, inaddition to maybe a dozen dinners over the years.
The rooms are spacious and well maintained, the staff is always courteous. The meals are superb, which explains why the over-sized dining areas are always close to full. Companion and I decided to stay overnight there before the track opens later this month. It was perfect timing. They are ready to handle an overflow crowd which meant the service was impeccable when they were at less than 100% capacity.
We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Longfellows on July 8. The hotel was very clean and front counter personnel were very friendly. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Spent two nights at Longfellows for a reception and it was first rate. Had the loft room and it was roomy and clean. Had two flat screens, refrigerator, and large bathroom. The upstairs room had a very comfortable bed and the skylights were a nice touch. The staff was professional and accommodating. The restaurant hosted a reception for 150 guests and the food was excellent. The party room we were in was like a Disney set, complete with bridge, pond with fish, and a European courtyard decor. It is about a 10 minute drive to Center City in Saratoga where there are many shops and dining choices.

Room Tip: If you want extra space, ask for one of the loft rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Being a local, I have stayed and eaten at Longfellows Hotel and Restaurant in the past before with very pleasing results. So when it came time to block a group of rooms for my March 2013 wedding I wanted to book with Longfellows. The customer service or lack of that I received from the management and staff was an extreme disappointment.

My first attempt stared back in February of 2012 when I wanted to come in and speak with a Sales Coordinator as well as receive a tour of the suite. The front desk member explained that their sales team was only in a few days a week with varying hours and suite tours were given on an appointment only basis. I was also told they couldn’t give me any idea of rate quote since it was more than a year in advance.

As my wedding plans continued and I figured I would once again try to book a group of rooms either by phone or via email in June of 2012. I called the main number and explained I would like to send an email to the sales department about a wedding block. I then sent an email to email address they provided on June 15 and one week later I still hadn’t been contacted by anyone.

A few days after I had sent the email I had a bad feeling that no one was planning on contacting me so I called during business hours and left a voicemail with my name, wedding date, email and telephone number – surprise, surprise NO ONE ever contacted me.

Two days after I left a voicemail I was extremely frustrated and asked to speak to the General Manager. On Thursday June 21 I was sent to his voicemail and 48+ hours later I STILL never heard anything from anyone.

I have been in the hospitality business for over 5 years and I also have a bachelor degree majoring in Hotel Management from Paul Smith’s College. Currently, I work as a Sales Manager at a hotel in the Capital District and can simply say the customer service, response time and communication between departments is absolutely horrifying!

I would not recommend booking any type of room block, wedding or guest reservation at Longfellows. Since then I was able to successfully book a hotel block at another property in the area within one business day. Do not waste your time or family’s finances on this property!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business