“Longfellows Hotel and Restaurant Were First Rate”

Longfellows Hotel, Restaurant, and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
NY
“Longfellows Hotel and Restaurant Were First Rate”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Spent two nights at Longfellows for a reception and it was first rate. Had the loft room and it was roomy and clean. Had two flat screens, refrigerator, and large bathroom. The upstairs room had a very comfortable bed and the skylights were a nice touch. The staff was professional and accommodating. The restaurant hosted a reception for 150 guests and the food was excellent. The party room we were in was like a Disney set, complete with bridge, pond with fish, and a European courtyard decor. It is about a 10 minute drive to Center City in Saratoga where there are many shops and dining choices.

Room Tip: If you want extra space, ask for one of the loft rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Ballston Spa, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Being a local, I have stayed and eaten at Longfellows Hotel and Restaurant in the past before with very pleasing results. So when it came time to block a group of rooms for my March 2013 wedding I wanted to book with Longfellows. The customer service or lack of that I received from the management and staff was an extreme disappointment.

My first attempt stared back in February of 2012 when I wanted to come in and speak with a Sales Coordinator as well as receive a tour of the suite. The front desk member explained that their sales team was only in a few days a week with varying hours and suite tours were given on an appointment only basis. I was also told they couldn’t give me any idea of rate quote since it was more than a year in advance.

As my wedding plans continued and I figured I would once again try to book a group of rooms either by phone or via email in June of 2012. I called the main number and explained I would like to send an email to the sales department about a wedding block. I then sent an email to email address they provided on June 15 and one week later I still hadn’t been contacted by anyone.

A few days after I had sent the email I had a bad feeling that no one was planning on contacting me so I called during business hours and left a voicemail with my name, wedding date, email and telephone number – surprise, surprise NO ONE ever contacted me.

Two days after I left a voicemail I was extremely frustrated and asked to speak to the General Manager. On Thursday June 21 I was sent to his voicemail and 48+ hours later I STILL never heard anything from anyone.

I have been in the hospitality business for over 5 years and I also have a bachelor degree majoring in Hotel Management from Paul Smith’s College. Currently, I work as a Sales Manager at a hotel in the Capital District and can simply say the customer service, response time and communication between departments is absolutely horrifying!

I would not recommend booking any type of room block, wedding or guest reservation at Longfellows. Since then I was able to successfully book a hotel block at another property in the area within one business day. Do not waste your time or family’s finances on this property!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank MNF88
mohegan lake ny
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We were in town for the Zac Brown band concert. It was our first time at the hotel. A bit on the expensive side but you get what you pay for. Had the king\loft room. Very professional staff, room was awesome. Its the little things! Real glasses,windows that you can open! Didnt get to try the restaurant but the menu looked pretty damm good! Overall very nice, we will return!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2012

For our 10th wedding anniversary i suprised my wife by booking a two night stay at Longfellows which was where we had our reception. Ialso made dinner reservations for us at the inn online and ordered flowers via a service promoted via the online reservation setup. The room was excellent upon checking in. For dinner we were seated next to a fireplace about 100 feet from the bar with extremely heavy foot traffic back and forth throughout the meal. The complimentary glasses of champagne with dinner were an unexpected treat. The first night's stay was quiet; peaceful and relaxing. With Skidmore graduation weekend and a wedding taking place we expected some noise. However the room next to us was rather loud and boisterous starting at 1AM. A call to the front desk did nothing to resolve this. My complaints the next morning were met with apologies and a meager sum was deducted from our bill. I did recieve a call from inn staff about a little more than an hour into our five hour return trip home to ask me if i had ordered flowers and would i want to pick them up. At this point i asked to be contacted by a manager to address this issue. It has now been about two weeks since our stay and i am left paying for flowers never received. With regards to the noisy neighbors i would expect this if paying $85 a night at HoJoes but not for $225 a night. I still have yet to hear from a manager. It is sad to see the quality of such a magical place crumble.

• Stayed May 2012
Utica, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We went to Longfellow’s twice; we could not wait until we went again after the first visit and we feel the same about the second. The food was off the chart excellent, the only thing missing was the wheelchair to get me out of the restaurant (The food was so good I didn't want to leave a crumb). My first trip to Longfellow’s was with my wife and me alone. We came back the next time with three other couples and they all loved the food and stay just as well. We are always asking each other, “when are we going back”? The first time we stayed in a suite and the next time we went with a loft room, we were extremely pleased with our accommodations on both visits. The staff was professional and out of the way friendly in both the restaurant and hotel (the service impeccable). It may sound like I am getting paid to leave this feedback but I am not, Longfellow’s is that good and pleasurable.
Two thumbs up and five stars.
Dominick Velardi

Room Tip: Get the loft.....and make sure you eat there.....
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I am a frequent traveler to Saratoga Springs, New York and my home away form home is Longfellows. The reasons are almost too numerous to mention.

First, the staff is warm and friendly and incredibly accommodating. After a long day of traveling, it's so nice to see a friendly face. The rooms are always clean, cozy, and very well appointed. The new mattresses are HEAVEN! The hotel sits on the edge of a nature preserve so there are plenty of trails and birds to watch and there's nothing like getting away from the hustle of town by getting back to some Nature.
Food wise, I always run over to the restaurant when I'm there as the food and the service are THE BEST IN TOWN. It's always a great place for a quiet dinner, dinner with friends, or even a party or a reception. The food is simple, delicious, and the portions are just right...and so is the service. Attentive and friendly servers are sharp, aware, and very welcoming.
As I visit the area several times during the year, I can always rely on Longfellows..and because I can, it's the only place I stay. Be it ever so humble...know what I mean? Think you can see why it's my Home away from Home.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bill5042
Glens Falls
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We went for a weekend anniversary getaway. Chose the Romance Package - it included room, 4 course dinner, chilled champagne, chocolates and continential breakfast. Staff was very friendly and room was very clean and comfortable.We had a king size bed in a loft room, jacuzzi jet tub and fridge as well as coffee maker.The food was excellant as well as more than ample.We had appitizers, salads, I had a fabulous Beef Wellington and my husband had a chicken stuffed with priscutto ham and some kind of cheese. We finished up with a duet of creme brulee'. We actually took our desserts back to our room and ate them later after we had time to relax and digest. We highly recommend this beautiful hotel with a wonderful staff!

Room Tip: We had room 217 and it was a loft room. So our bed was upstairs. Plenty of room if your traving with...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple