“Creativeness, Quality and Service in a casual type restaurant.”

Max London's Restaurant + Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lake
Description: Max London’s is a casual restaurant & bar committed to a high standard of food and drink. Our passion to provide real food from real farms in our area inspires our seasonal menu. You can enjoy a classic or signature cocktail, a glass of artisanal wine or locally brewed craft beer in an atmosphere that’s warm, welcoming and comfortable. We make all of our organic breads & Max’s mom, Wendy, Mrs. London herself, makes all our desserts, including our incredible sorbets & ice creams. Our Friday, Saturday & Sunday BRUNCH specialties include blue corn buttermilk pancakes, authentic yeast-raised Beligian waffles, omelettes made with the eggs from the heritage breed chickens of American Masala Farm in Hebron, duck hash, & cheeseburgers made from local grass-fed beef. Other features include a soup, pasta & risotto of the day, a slow-roasted pork or smoked beef brisket sandwich, chickpea polenta fries, steak frites from the potatoes of Sheldon Farms in Salem (we make our own ketchup) & smoked salmon (we make our own bialys). Our DINNER offerings always include fish & shellfish, steak, vegetarian fishes, salads, small plates & all of our wood fired pizzas, which are always available, even on our bar menu between lunch and dinner. The pizzas include the classic margherita (yes, we even make our mozzarella), mushroom, sausage, clam and a BLT pizza with Bacon, Leeks, roasted cherry tomatoes and Coach Farm goat cheese. Max London’s is Real food, Real fun & the Real deal. And we at Max London’s hope to see you again Real soon.
Clifton Park, NY
“Creativeness, Quality and Service in a casual type restaurant.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Unwilling to wait the announced forty minutes for a table at Druther's, (a concert at SPAC would likely clear out most tables at that time) we decided to walk over to Max London's where we probably had not been in well over a year. They looked pretty busy also, but our willingness to sit at a high-top table allowed us to be seated immediately.

We had a good view of all that was going on throughout the restaurant - bar, kitchen and dining room. More on that later. We were promptly provided with water and two different kinds of bread in a basket. My only complaint of the evening was not knowing which container had the vinegar and which had the oil.

My wife decided to try one of the more interesting sounding cocktails, a Strawberry Basil Sour ($11), while I chose a New York craft draft, Captain Lawrence IPA ($7). The Sour, interestingly, was made with rum and the strawberry flavor did not make it overly sweet. The IPA had a very nice hoppy flavor and would have only cost $4 if we had arrived 20 minutes earlier prior to 6 pm during Happy Hour.

Neither one of us was immensely hungry, but there were a couple of appetizers that we were very interested in trying before we selected our entrees. Our server was more than helpful at this point as we asked her about the portion sizes. She advised us that both of our app considerations were large enough and filling to serve two people prior to entrees. She recommended ordering only one app. But our desire to try interesting sounding food caused us to still order both apps with the caveat that we could always take home what we didn't finish of our entrees. Our server agreed.

So what was it that had such a strong temptation to our taste buds? Chickpea Polenta Fries ($9.50) with a black olive aioli, and Bolinhos de Bacalhau ($9) with an aioli. The chickpea and polenta mix was shaped to look like large French fries, 6 to an order (see my photo for the four remaining). They had a nice crispy outside and a soft inside. The flavor was good even before dipping them into the black olive aioli. The bolinhos (salt codfish cakes), 5 to an order (all intact for the photo), were light and flavorful with just a hint of spiciness to the aioli. And it turns out our server's advise was accurate, we both could probably have stopped eating at this point, but we would persevere.

My wife ordered the Shrimp & Chorizo Pizza ($16) - wood-fired with shrimp, chorizo, idiazabal cheese, romesco crema, and serrano chilies. This was a wonderful mix of flavors and textures with a good amount of spiciness on a typically thin crust for wood firing. Most of it came home with us.

I had the night's special Burger ($16), with lettuce, tomato, bacon (really good bacon!), cheese, and a sauce of which I don't recall the name or ingredients. I ordered it medium-rare and my picture will let you decide if that is what I received. I've had more flavorful meat, but the consistency and juiciness were right-on. There had to easily be three-quarters of a pound of burger here. It was billed as being raised locally, and as good as it was I didn't mind how messy it was to eat. Did I mention the delicious bacon in it?

A large cup of coffee was $3. My wife saw French presses on a shelf and was expecting to receive one of those, so she was a bit disappointed when she didn't. But it was a full-bodied coffee with good flavor.

I've mentioned how helpful our server was as I had been taking special note of the staff since I'd read a number of reviews that focused on the poor service here. Every worker I observed was fully attentive to each of his or her customers. There was no ignoring customers or socializing among staff. Our server Becky, seemed to be taking charge at times, letting the rest of the staff know how many burgers were left and when they were 86'd. She was very familiar with each of the dishes we were ordering and even described a variation in the preparation of one dish if we were to ever come for brunch. Our experience here justifies all of the stars for their creativeness, quality and service for the casual type restaurant they are.

• Visited June 2013

“Finally made it to a table!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

It seems that over the last few years whenever we were in the mood to eat out this place was always too busy to get a table.....NOW we know why! They have an innovative menu with a large selection of taste bud pleasing options. It truly was hard to decide what to get.....luckily, we both chose an item that we thoroughly enjoyed. I can't wait to go back for more!

• Visited June 2013
Rochester, New York
“Great lunch!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and enjoyed an amazing pizza and a good cold beer while sitting outside and watching the downtown excitement.

Visited May 2013
Queens, New York, United States
“Favorite Brunch!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Max London's is absolutely amazing! I ate there for brunch with my boyfriend and we loved it so much. We had their pizza and hash; amazing! Service is good as well! Great quality food and it is from farm to table so the prices are absolutely justified in my opinion. We can't wait to go back there this summer for July 4th weekend!

• Visited January 2013
saratoga springs
“Nice $20 value on Tuesday !”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My companion and I each enjoyed our salad and entree combo. There are some restrictions as to choice, but we were very happy with ours. The salads (chopped cesar, and arugala w/apple, etc) were very generous and perfectly dressed. Our entrees did not disappoint:
1) seared halibut on a bed of white beans and sauce---delicious !
2) duck breast w/ seasoned and suaced arugula--- great !!

Super service and very friendly bartenders.

We will be back !