“Pretty good motel with easy, free lake access.”

Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Saranac Lake
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Gauthier’s is a friendly, affordable, family-run place. It is essentially a motel, with the added extra of free unlimited access to their quality boats (kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats) for use on the lake right behind the motel.

Our room at Gauthier’s was clean and basic. I found the beds to be OK, although my wife found them uncomfortable. Amenities were skimpy, but staff was happy to provide things when asked. Maid service was a little weak (didn’t replace soap or empty garbage).

Rooms are listed as “poolside” or “lakeside.” Our room was “poolside,” and although it was near the pool, it was even nearer to the parking lot, and so there wasn’t much privacy. (This is not unlike many of the motels in this area.) Considering the setup, though, it was relatively quiet. It does seem that the “lakeside” rooms are much better in this respect, but they are more expensive.

The free, easy access to Lake Flower is a big perk. You can just sit and relax by the Lake or use one of their boats.

Overall, this is a good choice if you need a simple, well-located base for your time in the Lake Placid / Saranac Lake area.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is a convenient, very typical motel/motor lodge in a great location. We were able to check in early, which is always nice, and had pizza delivered after a long day on the road. The owners seem as nice as the other reviewers have said, but there was too much "socializing" going on among the guests for my taste. The place is busy, with kids and animals about.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but I read all the reviews and thought we would give them a try. My first interaction was when I called to book the room just three days before our stay. I was pleasantly surprised when they still had a room available. Just One. On our way up we hit major traffic so we had to call to find out how late we could actually check in. They told us to take our time, gave us a general idea where our room would be, then informed me the room would be ready and the key would be left inside the room. I was so pleased with how they were willing to work with us.

We arrived just before the office closed, and they knew who we were before I even told them our name. We were guided to our very nice lakeside room and were told that hot coffee would be ready for us in the morning. Oh, did I mention that they also told me that the canoes and kayaks were complementary and to enjoy the lake?

The rooms were a very nice size and very clean. However, if you want to stay at the Ritz this place isn’t for you because it isn’t fancy, but then again, if you are visiting Saranac Lake, you’re probably not the Ritz kind of guy anyway. I only mention this because some of the poor reviews seemed to point out that this wasn’t a 5 Star Hotel, and I want everyone to know that this place is beautiful, but it is what it is, so don’t expect a gold plated luggage cart.

What you can expect is a pleasant stay in a very nice, clean, and comfortable hotel. The service is exceptional and they go out of their way to make you feel at home. I honestly felt like I was staying at a friend’s house rather than in a hotel.

In my world, this place is 5 Stars….We plan to go back next year.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Dan & Doug, the brothers who run the Inn, make you feel welcome and right at home with amenities not expected at a motor inn, such as free gourmet coffee, free bottled water, thick fluffy towels, a large clean room with a refrigerator and microwave, nice beds with great feeling sheets, and let's not forget the free use of several kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, and a swimming pool. They also recommended a terrific organic hole in the wall restaurant which turned out to be terrific! Whoops, almost forgot to mention the free WiFi, and it was quiet. I'm coming back!

Reviewed July 25, 2010

My fiance and I recently relocated to the Saranac Lake-area, due to a work transfer, and Nicole and Doug went out of their way to make us feel welcome during our stay. We stayed lakefront and our room was bright and cheery--excellent sunlight. We really enjoyed fishing their lakefront in the evenings and taking out one of their canoes for a quiet float. The renovations they've made to all the rooms look fantastic.

The owners really exceeded our expectations of standard hotel provisions and service. Everything from the locally roasted coffee in the morning to the all-natural soaps and conditioner made us feel comfortable during our lengthened stay. We soon ended up finding a place of our own but always look forward to stopping by to visit our friends at Gauthier's.

This is the first choice for accommodations in Saranac Lake village.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2010

What a gem! The rooms were clean (yes, a bit dated, but so is most of the town) and I loved the fact that it was right on the lake. Morning coffee provided at the front desk was enjoyed on the waterfront in one of the many Adirondack chairs. Following was a canoe or kayak or paddleboat ride (also provided at no charge) on the water. We didn't get to use the outdoor pool, but it certainly looked clean and the folks who were in it seemed to be enjoying themselves.

If you can afford it, I recommend staying in one of the waterfront rooms (I had waterfront one night and non-waterfront another night.) It's a little more expensive, but the showers are nicer (better spray head & tiled shower stalls.) Also, walking right out your door to the gorgeous view is well worth it!

The Inn also sits directly across from a fabulous Mexican restuarant and breakfast place. Down the road (walking distance) is Pizza Hut & McDonalds as well as a mini-mart/gas station in case you forget some overnight items.

The staff are very helpful and worked with us to find the best room & rate (we were walk-ins since the hotel we were supposed to stay in didn't work out.)

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I love the charm of Gauthiers! Clean rooms, cross breeze, cable, and lake views...what more can you ask for. The property offers free kayaks, paddle boats, and canoes. They are also situated by a marina for those who need larger or faster boats and a Mexican restaurant that offers fantastic sake- magaritas.... Dan and Doug are young, great, energetic hosts. Saranc Lake is close to many regional attractions, including the summit of Whiteface....

Ps- the cat is cute...

#16 of 31 in Lake Placid
Placid Bay Inn
Placid Bay Inn
#1 of 14 in Lake Placid

Been to Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel? Share your experiences!