All reviews paddle boats water craft extra towels tennis rackets free access room was clean and comfortable checking out small hotel hot cocoa mini fridge adirondack chairs the staff was friendly and helpful casa del sol nice stay flat screen tv short drive balcony
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Our trip to Gauthier's was enjoyable. It is an old style motor lodge and brought back memories of growing up. The Gauthier's were very nice and accomodting. In most cases they could be found sitting outside chatting with guests and giving advice for nearby attractions.

Date of stay: August 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
5  Thank Calvin1225
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I stayed here for a long weekend in May, it was beautiful and my room was right on the water! The sunsets were beautiful and they staff was even better. Anything I need was responded to promptly. I would definitely return for another weekend in Saranac Lake/ Lake Placid region!

Date of stay: May 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
5  Thank swampkitty9865
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My room smelled like a horrible combination of cat urine, cheap cologne, and sea weed. In addition to the putrid stench, housekeeping was apparently too busy to check/ flush the previous occupant's mess in the toilet. It was the only hidden gem I found in the place. My complaints were not well received and I ended up at the Best Western across the street after the manager accused me of lying.

Date of stay: October 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
7  Thank frankny2
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Okay, so I was a bit worried having seen some recent negative reviews. What we got was an older, recently renovated room that was impeccably clean and comfortable with upscale luxury linens and towels, exceptionally attentive and helpful innkeepers- a lovely and peaceful Adirondack venue for a reasonable rate that was conveniently located to the much pricier Lake Placid area as well as the all the high peaks and Adirondack lake region has to offer.
Having read the negative rants we did pack our own blow drier and our fave pillows, Thanks you for that clue but we generally would do that anyway. If you asked, I am sure the innkeepers would have found an extra pillow! The owners have fairly recently acquired the inn and are gradually updating it from a run-of-the-mill motor inn to a lovely upscale retreat. The lobby is warm and inviting with local fresh-roasted coffee brewing and a woodstove to warm by. There are lots of quaint little Adirondack style decorative touches and inviting seating areas about the property, not to mention a variety of water craft at the ready for no extra charge. Yes, there is a marina and boat slips partially obstructing the lakeview but the remaining view is gorgeous and the owners have provided plenty of convenient and inviting access. If you focus on the negative you will find areas in need of some updating, fresh paint and decorating. No, it is not the Crown Plaza but you are not paying the premium price and Gauthier's gives you a lot for the money, in a convenient location. We found ourselves frequently returning to our little retreat to escape the hubbub and crowds of Lake Placed. We loved our stay and I would definely go back on any future trip to the Lake Placed/Saranac Lake area.

Date of stay: October 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wallyhoo
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Rename this place "The Grim Inn." The rooms smelled like bad cologne --Is it Aqua Velva? -- and the walls are paper thin so you hear your neighbors ever so clearly. The advertised high speed internet is on the fritz. The TV gets lousy reception.

Date of stay: August 2009