“Nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Nonna Fina

Nonna Fina
Ranked #27 of 38 Restaurants in Saranac Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Fair Oaks, CA
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I'm a vegan, and usually have no trouble in Italian restaurants. I asked Jennifer, our server about lots of the dishes and settled on the pesto pasta primavera. I expected angel hair pasta, lots of seasonal veggies, and pesto, right? That is exactly as it was stated on the menu. The cook decided to "water"the pesto down with milk or cream, for some reason. It hardly tasted like pesto, for one thing, and for another, it really wasn't pesto. It was creamy pesto. When asked, she offered to bring a bowl of pesto. That put some flavor in the dish, for it was mediocre. It just bugs me when the customer is careful in reading the menu, only to have the cook change it. I would not try anything else from this restaurant.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service, good value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Went with two families. Service was great. Very good wine selection. The special was osso buco served over capellini and was great. Our guests are native Philadelphians very familiar with the great Italian restaurants of South Philly and they raved about the quality and authenticity of the food. Our server was great. She was very efficient but also very friendly. The value was good. I was honestly surprised and the cost of the food. Very reasonable. Nona Fina will be a must stop for us when we are in Saranac Lake.

1 Thank GKguy
Albany, New York
“very mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Sadly, after eating here a half-dozen times in three years, I am forced to say that the food
and service had deteriorated steadily. Our latest meal, two dinner salads and a pizza was
a disaster. The place needs life support: a trained chef and professional management. Prices
are way to high. Hope these latest reviews will cause a turn-around.

1 Thank rberger4
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Families stay clear of this place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Some nice young wait staff, but they can't save this owner from any number of bad choices that will sink this restaurant if the owner doesn't get a clue. So-so food, but very poorly managed. I couldn't wait to get out of there, it was such an unpleasant dining experience---but wait we did at every turn. Two other parties that arrived after us were served drinks, and dinner orders taken long before anyone gave us a menu (and then only because i trekked into the restaurant to find out when/if we were going to be waited upon!) Worst of all: a loud, drunk, obnoxious female patron who cursed like a sailor throughout our meal. Could say it was just luck of the draw---until I was told that she was a guest of the owner, who sat with her group! NOT good choice with kids!

Saranac Lake, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do not eat at Nonna Fina-the worse food in the North Country”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Took a friend to nonna fina's for supper saturday night, August 18th. I have lived in Saranac Lake for over 25 years, so I am well aware of the management change which occurred a few months back.

I ordered the haddock which tasted like it had freezer burn. The potatoes were even worse. My friend sadly ordered the zita. The cheeze was not melted, the sause tasted like something out of a jar. Our waitress was rude at best. She never offered grated cheeze or cracker pepper for either of our salad or pasta.

Will never return, which is really sad because we have had some really great meals there in the past.

1 Thank lori b