“Awesome!”
Review of Porcupine Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saranac Lake
Porcupine Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Saranac Lake B&B and Inns
brooklyn
“Awesome!”
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I got married at the Wawbeek in Tupper Lake. It was unfortunately sold and we were so upset that we would not be able to drive up to the Adirondacks to spend our anniversaries ( we live in NYC). However, my husband did some research and found The Porcupine . We spent 2 nights there and it was amazing! I am so excited we have a new place to go every year for our anniversary. Meg, the new owner was unbelievably friendly and extremely helpful - she could tell us numerous options of places to go, hike, eat, drink, swim, drive, etc. She paid a lot of attention to detail, and the place was immaculate. She gave us complimentary cheese/grapes/crackers with wine while she helped up figure out dinner plans, after which she made our reservations for us. The breakfast both mornings was delicious! I don't know how she does it all. The location was also perfect- a short drive from many different lakes that have free public access to lay out and go swimming. It is also in walking distance from town to go to dinner and walk around. We also took a short drive to go for a beautiful hike that overlooked the lakes. She booked me a massage with a wonderful woman who came to the Inn and gave the massage right there in our room! It was amazing. I really can't say enough good things about this place. It was warm, beautifully decorated, spacious, friendly, clean and charming. I definitely recommend it!

Stayed June 2008
4 Thank fhlax

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
West Caldwell, NJ
Reviewed February 23, 2008

The Porcupine Inn was a jewel in the middle of the Adirondacks. The architecture of this Grand Dame was beautiful. We were greeted at the front door with a warm welcome from Beth the new owner of the Inn. Small intimate bar area which brought the guests together made the experience that much enjoyable. Beth provided bar munchies which added to the enjoyment of the evening cocktails. The rooms were warm and welcoming with deep rich colors throughout the inn. We are planning to go back next fall with lots of our friends. Try The Porcupine Inn you will be pleasantly surprised.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank lcloonan1
Boston
Reviewed January 25, 2008

Having seen some of the other reviews I would hasten to point out that the inn is under new ownership as of December 2007 and Meg is wonderful. She is clearly delighted with her new innkeeping role and was extremely nice and helpful. The inn itself is great; we especially liked having a glass of wine by the fire and hot tubbing in the snow. My only criticism is that our room's bathroom was in need of a cosmetic update (the bedroom was lovely). Breakfast was great!

• Stayed January 2008
1 Thank Hikey
New York
Reviewed January 5, 2008

When we finally get to take time off work to travel, we rarely stay in
B&Bs as we like boutique hotels with lots of detail and amenities. This winter we didn’t have enough time to fly away somewhere so we decided to hit the slops at Lake Placid. My fiancé booked a weekend at
this B&B and we loved it.

The drive in was so beautiful. I forgot how pretty snow can look in the forest when it’s killing your shoes on the way to work. Anyway, the Porcupine was located on a residential street that is picturesque compared to other streets in the village. The breakfasts were great and the decor was a wonderful mix of woodsy detail and elegant country
home. We stayed in the Mohawk suite which is nice because it has a separate living room and king size bedroom overlooking a pretty ridge top near by called Mount Baker I think. My fiancé particularly liked hanging out in the wine bar playing pool and chatting with the owner and other guests in the evening while I was getting ready to go out. On our second night, the proprietor made reservations for us at this fantastic restaurant about fifteen minutes away that just capped a wonderful getaway. We'll be back to check out the Charles suite next time.

• Liked — The charm and service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ron3
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I went to the Porcupine for a second visit in early 2006. I did not write a review at the time but wish to do so now. It is brought to mind as we are planning another Adirondack trip and I know where we are NOT staying.

As another reviewer wrote, there are too many rules. There is also a fair amount of arrogance from Antony, enough to make guests uncomfortable. I think the last straw was when one of us requested a second cup of coffee at breakfast (within the breakfast hour rules) and was told "It's all gone"...now really, for these prices maybe another pod could be prepared.

The place is for sale and perhaps it has become more drudgery than pleasure for the innkeepers.

• Liked — The structure itself
  • Disliked — Arrogance of Antony; feeling that we were inconveniencing the owners.
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank KAMF
Long Island, NY
Reviewed December 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Porcupine for a little weekend getaway for his birthday. The Inn was rustic and charming, but my husband didn't particularly care for the owner- he thought he was a little on the rude side.

Our room was very large and comfortable with a separate sitting room and our own bathroom with a clawfoot tub. We had some issues with the plumbing, however...the toilet didn't flush well, and one night it almost overflowed- thankfully there was a plunger available. Also, for some reason both of the windows in our room were covered in flies, which was kind of unnerving, and prevented us from opening our windows, and it was unusually warm that weekend. There were several flies that had gotten in the room as well, so my husband was swatting them with brochures.
We never got a chance to tell the owner of these issues because he was rarely around during our stay, and we felt funny mentioning anything upon checkout.
After dinner one night, we came back to find the billiard room empty, so we played a couple games before heading back to our room, which we really enjoyed. The breakfast was also really good.

Overall, we had a nice stay at the Porcupine. However, since we spent the majority of our time in Lake Placid (about a 10-15 minute drive away) we would most likely stay in Lake Placid if we were to return to the area.

• Liked — It was quiet and secluded
  • Disliked — The plumbing and fly issue
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KristinNY
Blighty533
Reviewed October 26, 2007

During the reservation booking process with the Porcupine there were a few snags and I felt the Inn keeper was getting frustrated and ultimately was a bit rude with me. I debated cancelling our reservation based on that experience but once we arrived we were really quite happy with our stay. The Innkeeper, Anthony, was accomodating and pleasant upon our arrival. The room we stayed in was quite nice during our 2 day stay at Porcupine. I have to say the bed in the Charles Suite is probably one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. I haven't slept that good in months. Anthony made tasty and impressive breakfasts each morning and his coffee is great. We enjoyed our stay primarily because we really enjoyed the other guests we met during our stay at the Porcupine Inn. We really enjoyed the day trips to Lake Placid, High Falls Gorge and local hiking is abundant. The days were packed with lots of things to do and I felt the Porcupine was price reasonable in comparison to Lake Placid.

• Liked — the comfortable bed
  • Disliked — too many rules
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 14 in Lake Placid
Kiwassa Lake Bed & Breakfast
Kiwassa Lake Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 9 in Saranac Lake

Been to Porcupine Inn? Share your experiences!