“We dream of this place. We never forgot Meg or her home...”
Review of Porcupine Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saranac Lake
Porcupine Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Saranac Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I stole away for a romantic rendezvous at the Porcupine... and we still can't stop talking about it. This getaway has become one of the great "references" of our romance.

It is impossible to understand the complaints registered on this site; my husband and I are both in the international hospitality industry and we can say that we loved our stay without reservation.

Our room was warm and romantic. Our breakfast was lovely (cheerfully customized to our specifications, including our enormous capacity for coffee :) Meg left us chocolate chip cookies upon our return one evening... just as a surprise.

But the real star of this experience was the room (and, therefore, the inn) itself. To fall asleep amidst a crackling open fire... in an antique bed... in a home steeped in history...

You can't buy this kind of experience in any marketplace.

Laundry? Really? "Tired"? Do you mean attentive to historic accuracy? Scared of undefinable "spookiness"? I am speechless.

Meg went so far out of her way to accommodate us that she gave us the paint swatches from her home renovation's repertoire. When was the last time you experienced such graciousness?

We can't stop talking about it. Did I say that already?

The pool table was lively great fun. The home was immaculate and historically beautiful. Meg was charming, available and a lovely hostess.

This B&B is exactly what it says it is and exactly what it should be. This is the Adirondacks, folks. The house should be reflective of that. If it were some modern, chrome enhanced urban hotel wannabee, I would leave immediately.

Lovely, romantic, historic, cozy, evocative, cinematic... I dream of my return...

Until then, Meg. We are dreaming...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NycDawn

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I can't say enough good things about the Porcupine or it's owner Meg. She made us feel right at home, gave us great info on places to eat and things to do in the area. It was like staying at a friends home with how warmly we were welcomed. The rooms are beautiful as is the entire inn. The rooms didn't lock but I never had a seconds thought about our belongings being secured. Everything we could possibly need was provided for us. Breakfast was delicious and Meg took the time to ask what we liked to eat. My boyfriend and I loved the hot tub and Meg was so nice and let us store champagne and juice in the bar fridge. She gave us as much help as possible and was never intrusive. I would stay at the Porcupine again and again as long as Meg's the owner.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bartlett. Gorgeous and ultra private, it feels like you're in your own apartmen...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My Husband and I stayed here for two nights in mid July. It is a large rambling house, with an amazing wood staircase and decorated lovely. Although a very big house, it still manages to feel cosy. Mostly it is decorated well, but in places it does need some work & it looked tired, but everything worked perfectly for us. Location is great, close to many things that we wanted to see.

The owner Meg was wonderful & her advice & suggestions really helped make this a memorable trip for us. Meg was also very welcoming and strikes the right balance in being a perfect host but at the same time, was never intrusive. We needed to store some fruit & although the rooms did not have fridges, we were able to use the bar fridge. She also provided advice on restaurants & sightseeing each time, she was spot on & we loved everything she suggested we see & do.

I was surprised that there was no key to lock our room door, which made us more conscious of what we had to keep with us when we might have left things in the room.

Breakfasts were made and served by Meg & both meals we had were delicious & plentiful, Meg offering everyone seconds.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DM45ESS
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Inn itself is clean and nice. However, I feel that the innkeeper/owner is not in touch with what it takes to win people over. She pretends that she is going to customize breakfasts to your taste but will make whatever she has planned regardless. Prior to our arrival she asked us if we had any preferences, likes or dislikes. I stated that we liked everything but ate on the healthier side. She specifically said she was making a healthy breakfast of ricotta stuffed pancakes. Not what I had in mind for "healthy". She is very clear to state that she cannot help keep anything cold for you (no fridges in the room) because she does not know if she will be home to retrieve anything from her private quarters for you. However, every where we turned she was there. Even when we decided to go into the hot tub late at night.
I guess we were spoiled by our most recent B&B - See Newfound B&B in NH. I don't think any B&B can compare to Sondra's but we will keep trying to find one.
This new inn keeper brags about her "National Geographic Award", the award was given years before she purchased the place. I cannot imagine this Inn receiving any awards in the near future unless this woman steps up her hospitality and her game in many areas.
Also, another reviewer mentioned the beds are really uncomfortable, I would also agree. We also stayed in the cheapest room available so for $150 this was average. If you pay more than this you will be very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay in the cheapest room if you have to stay here, otherwise it cannot be worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deena B
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We weekended here in early April and as is usual, there were both pros and cons to our experience. This is a large historic house and much of it purposefully remains historic... some of it charming, some simply tired. It's important to note that this is actually a B&B and not an inn per se.

Our bedroom, the Saranac, was decent but in need of some upgrading, the bathroom in particular. Nothing said that more than the buzzing vintage 50s fluorescent light fixtures and the single ply t-p which frankly, we were pretty shocked to discover considering the rate charged and the level of accommodations suggested by the website.

The other element that wasn't up to basic expectations was the lack of a key lockable door for when we weren't there. The bed was comfortable however and the room was bright.

Breakfasts were made and served by the owner and both meals were actually very well done. We took a turn in the hot tub one chilly night and read in front of the fire over a bottle of wine during a period of poor weather and appreciated both amenities.

The property overall, like most in the neighborhood, could use some sprucing up both exterior and interior-wise but the owner is accommodating and helpful and the location is pretty central to most services and sites available in this small mountain town. In summary, we found this to be a decent place, especially compared to other properties in the area but feel that for the posted rates to be good value, some upgrades should be made.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pixrover
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed overnight while visiting our son at Paul Smiths College. First impression was not impressive, but upon going inside we were pleasantly greeted by a terrific host and were taken by the beautiful decor of the home. Accommodations were wonderful and the rooms were spacious. The photos do represent the accommodations accurately. Breakfast was fabulous. I would reccommend this B&B to anyone looking for a early period home to spend their stay in.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank BR0053
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My fiancé and I escaped to the Adirondacks for a relaxing getaway over the extended weekend. We stayed at the Porcupine Inn and could not have hoped for a better experience. The house is a gorgeous timber cabin style home that is beautifully appointed. The fireplace is perfect for sipping wine and playing games or catching up on some reading. We used the hot tub to relax after a day of walking and ice skating, and no doubt it's even better after snowshoeing or xc skiing. It's definitely large enough to accommodate 4 or even 5 people.

Meg is an extraordinary hostess. She was friendly and helpful with local suggestions. And she makes a mean french toasted croissant.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel
Kiwassa Lake Bed & Breakfast
Kiwassa Lake Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 9 in Saranac Lake

Been to Porcupine Inn? Share your experiences!