Porcupine Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Saranac Lake
See available hotels
View Hotel
Lake Flower Inn(Saranac Lake)
  • Free Internet
Adirondack Motel(Saranac Lake)
View Hotel
Lake Side Motel(Saranac Lake)
  • Pool
Sara-Placid Motor Inn(Saranac Lake)
View Hotel
The Whiteface Club(Lake Placid)
View Hotel
The Whiteface Lodge(Lake Placid)
View Hotel
All reviewspool tableb bcharles suitethe ownerbreakfast roomenclosed porchfascinating historyacre propertyluxurious experienceearly novemberhistoric houseother guestshealthy breakfastevery guesthis friendsnooks and cranniescommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2008

When we finally get to take time off work to travel, we rarely stay in
B&Bs as we like boutique hotels with lots of detail and amenities. This winter we didn’t have enough time to fly away somewhere so we decided to hit the slops at Lake Placid. My fiancé booked a weekend at
this B&B and we loved it.

The drive in was so beautiful. I forgot how pretty snow can look in the forest when it’s killing your shoes on the way to work. Anyway, the Porcupine was located on a residential street that is picturesque compared to other streets in the village. The breakfasts were great and the decor was a wonderful mix of woodsy detail and elegant country
home. We stayed in the Mohawk suite which is nice because it has a separate living room and king size bedroom overlooking a pretty ridge top near by called Mount Baker I think. My fiancé particularly liked hanging out in the wine bar playing pool and chatting with the owner and other guests in the evening while I was getting ready to go out. On our second night, the proprietor made reservations for us at this fantastic restaurant about fifteen minutes away that just capped a wonderful getaway. We'll be back to check out the Charles suite next time.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron3
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I went to the Porcupine for a second visit in early 2006. I did not write a review at the time but wish to do so now. It is brought to mind as we are planning another Adirondack trip and I know where we are NOT staying.

As another reviewer wrote, there are too many rules. There is also a fair amount of arrogance from Antony, enough to make guests uncomfortable. I think the last straw was when one of us requested a second cup of coffee at breakfast (within the breakfast hour rules) and was told "It's all gone"...now really, for these prices maybe another pod could be prepared.

The place is for sale and perhaps it has become more drudgery than pleasure for the innkeepers.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank KAMF
Reviewed December 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Porcupine for a little weekend getaway for his birthday. The Inn was rustic and charming, but my husband didn't particularly care for the owner- he thought he was a little on the rude side.

Our room was very large and comfortable with a separate sitting room and our own bathroom with a clawfoot tub. We had some issues with the plumbing, however...the toilet didn't flush well, and one night it almost overflowed- thankfully there was a plunger available. Also, for some reason both of the windows in our room were covered in flies, which was kind of unnerving, and prevented us from opening our windows, and it was unusually warm that weekend. There were several flies that had gotten in the room as well, so my husband was swatting them with brochures.
We never got a chance to tell the owner of these issues because he was rarely around during our stay, and we felt funny mentioning anything upon checkout.
After dinner one night, we came back to find the billiard room empty, so we played a couple games before heading back to our room, which we really enjoyed. The breakfast was also really good.

Overall, we had a nice stay at the Porcupine. However, since we spent the majority of our time in Lake Placid (about a 10-15 minute drive away) we would most likely stay in Lake Placid if we were to return to the area.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KristinNY
Reviewed October 26, 2007

During the reservation booking process with the Porcupine there were a few snags and I felt the Inn keeper was getting frustrated and ultimately was a bit rude with me. I debated cancelling our reservation based on that experience but once we arrived we were really quite happy with our stay. The Innkeeper, Anthony, was accomodating and pleasant upon our arrival. The room we stayed in was quite nice during our 2 day stay at Porcupine. I have to say the bed in the Charles Suite is probably one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. I haven't slept that good in months. Anthony made tasty and impressive breakfasts each morning and his coffee is great. We enjoyed our stay primarily because we really enjoyed the other guests we met during our stay at the Porcupine Inn. We really enjoyed the day trips to Lake Placid, High Falls Gorge and local hiking is abundant. The days were packed with lots of things to do and I felt the Porcupine was price reasonable in comparison to Lake Placid.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2007

Although The Porcupine is a charming old home, the owner was at times rude and tried to pass off an additonal fee for being a group. We were three experienced traveling couples who booked together for a weekend stay. Upon leaving we noticed a special fee on the bill for $253. It was a "group fee" which had never been disclosed at the booking. When questioned, Anthony said that they did not like groups and that they were alot of extra work. Why? Because of all the phone calls (actually there were less, and because the breakfasts had to be served together. We felt the rooms were overpriced although nice. The owner did refund this price after a subsequent phone call the following week. And then his wife told us we had scratched their floor by moving furniture and they were going to deduct $25. We don't believe that but were satisfied by the refund minus the $25. We do not recommend this Inn, but if you go, check your bill and charges carefully. One of our friends had stayed there in the summer and got a bill with an extra night charge.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends