“High Hopes Dashed”

La Puerta Azul
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Salt Point
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
“High Hopes Dashed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We went to the restaurant after hearing many rave reviews. The restaurant has warm, colorful atmosphere. We were greeted warmly and seated promptly even though we were 20 minutes early for our reservation. The waiter in our section was clearly busy but he did an exceptional job of handling our service. The Margarita's were delicious but the spicy guacamole we ordered was bland. My Camarones al Pastor somehow missed the mark. The shrimp was done to perfection but the mix of pickled onions, pineapples, ancho guajillo chile sauce and tomato rice didn't work for me. My husband said his Paella tasted as if the ingredients were combined at the last minute, never giving the flavors a chance to meld. He also said he could not detect any taste of saffron. We capped off the meal with coffee, which were fine. We moved on to the Cantina to listen to Paul Pesco. That was a disappointment too. Mr. Pesco is clearly a talented musician but with the acoustics of the room and crowd noise we left in frustration. We went with high hopes and left with no plan to return.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Dutchess2245

Niagara Falls, New York
“Nice space but Bad eats....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Now upon entering this well appointed restaurant one would expect the staff to live up to the decor, the design, the happy lady at the desk and the pleasant music, but that is not the case.. waited for at least 20 minutes to be seated and this was at a time when the place was not busy at all. Once seated the server spent a lot of time pushing all kinds of drinks our way which after ordering a few found them to be tasteless and unimaginative. I must say that the guacamole was outstanding but they made too big a deal over grinding it and etc. The taco's were soggy and tasteless, the salad was awful and tasteless and the pork dish was sloppy and liquidy..The worst part of the night was my leaving my new hairpiece in the men's room and returning to find it gone. Anyone reading this review and knowing something about my wig please call La Puerta and report it.. This wig cost me plenty and it was made by Pierre Jacques of Paris..should never have doodled with it in the first place. Getting back to the meal, the desserts were nothing better than Drakes or Little Debbie, in fact they may have been those products..should have checked the dumpster for the wrappers.. The bill for this unsavory repaste was extraordinary...maybe this was a bad day, maybe not but next time I pass the exit on the Taconic I'll put my foot on the gas and continue to exit 82 and get something at Flory's Gas Station.

• Visited February 2013
New York
“Great, not run of the mill, Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Must love this place. The food is what you might get in a special restaurant that serves the freshest and unique mexican style food. I love the smokey margarita's - but there are lots of choices. The bands on the weekend add fun too. The acoustics are not great but with all there is to eat and drink, you might not notice.

Visited January 2013
New York
“Good food, great find off the Taconic Parkway.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here with my family and tried the chicken and shrimp fajitas. Everything tasted very fresh and was delicious. Service was excellent. A little on the pricey side at $22 for a fajita, but would definitely recommend.

Hopewell Junction, New York
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Second vist to La Puerta Azul with my spouse last week, and we enjoyed the excellent cusine. The white wine sangria was delicious while munning on fresh tortilla chips and a thick spicy salsa. Appetizer selections were tasty and presented with a flair. I enjoyed a bountiful serving of chicken fahitas that was mouth watering, while my wife chose the coffee rubbed filet. We shared a fried ice cream for dessert to top off the meal. I will be back!

• Visited February 2013