“Good experience”
Review of Espana Tapas Bar

Espana Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Espana Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 57 Restaurants in Saint James
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lake Ave
Transit: Local Bus and close to St. James Train Station.
Sayville, New York
“Good experience”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I decided to try Espana Tapas Bar after reading all of the good reviews. Strip mall looking locale is deceiving as the restaurant is huge inside. Nicely decorated table clothed tables. Big bar area and separate dining areas. Service is top notch, attentive and polite, always a smile. We started with white sangria which was the best I have ever had, fruity but not sweet.
We decided to go with all Tapas to share. The Gazpacho was excellent, flavorful and filling. A trio of roasted red peppers stuffed with cod was good, not great. Seafood salad was a generous serving, flavorful with shrimp, mussels, sardines, squid, crabmeat in a garlic and onion infused marinate. Meatballs with vegetable gravy was just OK, nothing special. Overall the experience was nice and we will return to sample more of the large menu as there are probably 30 different Tapas to choose from as well as a full dinner menu. The owner thanked us for coming in and chatted with us on the way out. A warm welcoming restaurant.

• Visited April 2013

Smithtown, New York
“This place is the best kept secret in the township of Smithtown.”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Past by a hundred times and never even noticed it. I went there because my town had restaurant week and we figured we would try it. I had the crabmeat with cheese in a clamshell for an appetizer and it was excellent. Next I had the chicken with shrimp in a vodka sauce and it was to die for. I also had the house Cabernet which was a bargain at $7.00 a glass. The desert was also great. This place is the best kept secret in the township of Smithtown.

long island, NY
“So so good... can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Not so fancy on the outside... WONDERFUL on the inside. They welcomed us on a freezing Feb evening with mini cups of tasy chicken noodle soup. The meal- great prices, great service, great food. We started with the cheese plate and a pitcher of sangria- AWESOME, we had the spanish potato salad (fabulous) and tortilla española (yummy) and lobster paella- all delicious. Dessert (great choices- my husband and I couldn't settle on one as we usually do) was flan and poached pear- both excellent. The best part- Magician Seth Kramer came over and did an AMAZING tableside performance. What a treat! The restaurant was very good- the magic show really put it over the top. Seth is in residence one Saturday a month, we were told to follow Espana's facebook page to see when he will next be there. We are, and as soon as we know the next performance date, we will be bringing my parents!

• Visited February 2013
Long Island,New York
“Chefs night off?”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was excited to try Espana after reading the positive reviews here. The space is inviting and cozy and the owner is friendly. However, the main event at a restaurant has to be the food and all four dishes we ordered were disappointing. The meatballs were bland and nothing special. The chorizo was so fatty we did not eat it. Patatas Bravas were ok , I have had better . The empadas were dry and bland. I love tapas and really wanted to love this place but the food missed the mark. The sangria was very good, strong with a lot of fruit and not too sweet. I will keep looking for a good local tapas place.

• Visited December 2012
New York
“Worth finding this little gem”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Do not just pass by and say "that looks like it could be good." Stop in. You will not be disappointed. Beautifully grilled chorizo, white bean soup with kale (Galician-style), octopus grilled to perfection over sliced potatoes with paprika, striped bass cooked any way you like. Extensive specials every day. Full staff from owner to waiter to chef were beyond gracious.