“Chefs night off?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Espana Tapas Bar

Espana Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Espana Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 57 Restaurants in Saint James
Cuisines: Spanish, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lake Ave
Transit: Local Bus and close to St. James Train Station.
Long Island,New York
“Chefs night off?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was excited to try Espana after reading the positive reviews here. The space is inviting and cozy and the owner is friendly. However, the main event at a restaurant has to be the food and all four dishes we ordered were disappointing. The meatballs were bland and nothing special. The chorizo was so fatty we did not eat it. Patatas Bravas were ok , I have had better . The empadas were dry and bland. I love tapas and really wanted to love this place but the food missed the mark. The sangria was very good, strong with a lot of fruit and not too sweet. I will keep looking for a good local tapas place.

• Visited December 2012

“Worth finding this little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Do not just pass by and say "that looks like it could be good." Stop in. You will not be disappointed. Beautifully grilled chorizo, white bean soup with kale (Galician-style), octopus grilled to perfection over sliced potatoes with paprika, striped bass cooked any way you like. Extensive specials every day. Full staff from owner to waiter to chef were beyond gracious.

St. James
“Where Everyone Knows Your Name”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Espana is the perfect little neighborhood haunt - whether you are in the mood for a big meal or something light. We usually start out with a few tapas dishes and keep ordering until everyone is happy. Garlic shrimp, Supa de Ajo (garlic soup), Patatas Bravas, Croquetas, Jamon are a few favorites - although the specials are also worth trying. Meals are very reasonable even with a bottle of wine or a pitcher of sangria. The staff is very friendly and attentive, as is the host, Julio. Love the Spanish shawls on the walls. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but a wonderful little jewel inside.

• Visited May 2012
Ronkonkoma, NY
“Great Local Place To Eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Espana has exactly what it takes to keep a person coming back for more. Good professional, yet friendly staff, great food served hot and with style. Everyone is there to please the customer and the food is wonderful. There wasn't one thing on the menu that I tried that I did not like.
If this is your first visit, go during the week for lunch specials. I bet you will keep going back for more. Don't be discouraged by the parking out front, there is plenty behind the resturant.

I hope you enjoy it as much as my friends and I do because we keep going back for more.

• Visited April 2012
New York City, New York
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

This used to be a hole in the wall bar, which is probably scaring locals away from Espana. I probably never would have gone, had I not read a favorable review in Newsday. First of all, there is nothing shabby about this place. It is bright and festive. Nice music, nice bar. It's also larger than the outside would have you believe. Now for the food. My family of five went twice this week and basically ordered the exact same tapas items. We were coming back from an awesome trip to Puerto Rico, and wanted to recapture that mood. Espana delivers and more. Pitcher of Sangria is great choice. Even though a wine bar, I have not ventured further than the Sangria, because it's so good. Our tapas musts are Paella (made to order…takes 25 mins.) Garlic Shrimp, pinchos, pulpo (octopus so tender), cheese platter with sausage (ask for honey), clams in green sauce, meatballs, etc. I can't remember our entire order, but EVERYTHING was delicious. Service spectacular. If I had one complaint it is that there was a table of 12 college students so loud and obnoxious that it ruined our night. I could have asked to move, but didn't. I told the owner who was very apologetic. Wasn't his fault. Oh, also, very reasonable! Would be a great girl's night out.

• Visited March 2012