“Quirky and individual” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The American Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sag Harbor
The American Hotel
You added The American Hotel to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sag Harbor
“Quirky and individual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Interesting inn, I would say more than a hotel. This is a restaurant with rooms. If dining book a table outside which is more or less on the street but good for people watching. Good central location - easy walk to harbor.
Rooms are spacious - old fashioned, a bit like a guest house in the UK. Very efficient but noisy air conditioning.
Great pictures and stuff on the walls. Huge wine list but first bottle went back as not good - indifference from the waiter but we have had a lot worse service.
Rooms were clean, beds comfortable.
We arrived very late and bar was crowded but were met with a smile and someone dragged our heavy bags up the stairs. one flight but steep.
We left early and dragged our own bags out!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Namshur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We are a family of 3 who recently stayed there for 3 nights. We LOVED it! The EXCEPTIONAL staff is only too happy to help. The room was charming, comfortable, well attended to and beautifully maintained. The location is wonderful. It's right on Main Street in lovely, charming (low-key) Sag Harbor. Unfortunately, we didn't get the opportunity to stay for dinner, but it looked lovely and the bar is lively and welcoming. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast each morning in a choice of settings.... outside, indoors or in the sitting room where we enjoyed a few games of backgammon. Can't wait to stay there again!

Room Tip: If stairs aren't "your thing" request to be on the 2nd floor.....the building is very...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stay at the American Hotel once each year and it is always great. Be sure to make a reservation for dinner as it is alway crowded as is the bar. Try to get seated outside on the porch for great people watching with an occassional celebrity. Food is excellent and right in the center of town. Take a walk after dinner or have a drink at the bar

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank THECURCIOS
Roswell, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

On a Downhill run! I spent years running resorts in the US... I would never have hired most of this staff! Be REAL is my advice to management!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank willtravel05605
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We sat outside and people watched ... Loved the food and the service is excellent

Lewisburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My wife and I are considering a move to Sag Harbor and found this inn walking through the front door. We didn't read any reviews...we just took our chances. We were blown away. I travel for a living and have stayed in all different accommodations all over the world. I approached the front desk and the manager explained he was sold out. However he did have "a suite" available and would I like to see it? We walked to the room and I loved it. The bathroom was all marble and HUGE. the fixtures were polished chrome and the tub and shower were amazing. The bed was very large and the window unit air conditioner kept it nice and frosty (the way we like it). Down the hall was a pool table, guest bathroom and a full kitchen. My only regret is that we didn't have any friends to invite over. I asked him the rate and he told me. I explained it was 5:30pm and there was no chance he was going to sell that room at that rate tonight. He agreed and gave it to me at a very nice discount. He offered to help with my luggage (which I didn't need) and explained that the staff was available 24 hours a day to help our stay.

My wife and I had a glass of wine and chatted at their cool little historic lounge. We were chatting with locals and the bartender who worked there for 22 years! Then we sat down to dinner. i had a filet and my wife had lobster and we loved it. The food (with the exception of the salad dressing...which they switched with lightning speed), was awesome! The service was prompt and very friendly.

The next morning, the waiter from our dinner remembered us and said hello! We had breakfast (which was included with the room) and checked out the next day.

By staying at The American Inn, I felt like I was participating in history. It was an excellent two night stay.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the cottage.
2 Thank Erik H
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The American Hotel has always held a special place in my heart as I have many memories of spending time roaming the front porch and cozy downstairs as a child while my parents and their friends enjoyed cocktails. So when looking for a place to stay in the Hamptons area this past week, I was thrilled to come across the American Hotel. Their website is not impressive, but all the better - it's a signifier that the hotel is still as old-world, classy, and resistant to unqualified patrons' desires for "new, contemporary" amenities and style. After reading reviews here, I was a bit wary of staying there - and it's true, the hotel is not a fit for every traveler. Yes, expect some creaky furniture, narrow hallways and steep stairs... but if you're looking for classic, high-class, old-world Americana, then I couldn't recommend a better place (anywhere). By the way, essential amenities couldn't have been nicer: a comfortable bed with luxurious linens and pillows, the bathroom was beautiful, cleanly modern though in a traditional style with a large jacuzzi and rain-shower, l'Occitane toiletries... Service was warm, consistent, intimate and personalized - the kind that is catered to individuals' needs. A wonderful breakfast with quality (strong) coffee, cheeses and delicious croissants (my fellow traveler, who is French, was thoroughly impressed - on every account), NYT delivered to your door in the morning, gracious waitstaff, a barman with 20+ years of experience and stories, amusing fellow guests and diners... this place oozes history, class, and frankly a good time. It was hard to leave, and I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: "the Apartment"... a rich, quaint salon/sitting area, then upstairs a spacious but cozy, b...
1 Thank Suz900
Southampton Long Island Hotel
Southampton Long Island Hotel
#5 of 8 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 stars 84 reviews

Been to The American Hotel? Share your experiences!