“terrible customer service”

Sackets Harbor Brewing Company
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sackets Harbor Brewing Company operates one of New York State’s oldest continuing microbreweries featuring both a working brewery and dining establishment. Located in historic Sackets Harbor, NY, and situated on the shore of Lake Ontario with amazing views and deck seating, the brewery and brew pub occupy the former New York Central Railroad Station building, which retains most of its original detail. The dining room and outside deck boast expansive views of the lake and sunsets. The five star gastropub and restaurant offer upscale pub fare and fine dining that is paired with a rotating selection of over thirty original craft beers brewed on-site including our multi-award winning Thousand Islands Pale Ale and War of 1812 Amber Ale.
Syracuse
“terrible customer service”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My friend and I went here to try to get something to eat and drink. After not being met by a hostess for 5 or so minutes went went into the bar to look for someone. The bartender told us they don't serve food between 4-5. We asked if we could sit on the deck and get a drink and wait. We were told that was fine, but we had to come in and buy our own drinks as the staff won't serve us. We did find this odd that the staff would not want to make money, as the wait staff were bringing out food to customers who ordered just before 4 and other staff was just standing around. I also found it strange in a town with a short amount of good weather time to make money that they would be closed for service for an hour, when every other restaurant in the area was open and packed with people.

To further show no lack of interest, as we sat on the deck a waitress came over to tell us we would have to check in with her at 5 pm to see if we could still have that table. Really? We would have been paying customers the entire time and beyond 5 pm, but the lack of customer service drove us out to spend our money were it would be appreciated.

therefore, we left and found great service at two other local establishments (and spent quit a bit of money) and we do not plan on returning or recommending this business.

2 Thank moshmomma
savaval, Owner at Sackets Harbor Brewing Company, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
At the time you visited us, we were closed between 4-5pm to transition from lunch to dinner so I am not sure how you could have received terrible customer service, when there was no customer service to be had. You can continue to flag our management response, however, we will continue to post it. We stand by our policy and our staff.

Ottawa, Canada
“Food is great but .....”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great waterside patio, staff was very friendly and appreciated our patience as we waited for our table. The food is first rate but took a very long time 45 minutes to get to our table after it was ordered ( lunchtime, after 1:30). Would definitely recommend if you have lots of time!

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Exceptional Crafted Beer, With Food To Match”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I live in NYC and am an unapologetic food snob. You can read my other reviews. Good, fresh, inventive food is my passion.

So coming to this place, I was expecting some good beer and serviceable eating, but nothing memorable. Instead I was treated to exceptional craft beers with a food lineup to match.

We ordered the beer sampler and were treated to eight small beers. I think six of the eight knocked my socks off. The vanilla stout was just this side of chocolate milk, except...it was a beer: smooth, beautifully balanced spices, and satisfying. You know how sometimes the special craft beers end up being cutesy and undrinkable? That's not this place. Each beer was very good, and most of them were extraordinary. Case in point was the blueberry ale. Most of the time, berry beers are a disaster. This one: wonderful. Perfect for a summer afternoon on their deck.

That deck: the best view of the harbor, of the lake, of the boats. Or sit inside. The dining room is cozy. The bar is lively but not loud. The view of the brewing equipment is a special bonus to the bar setting. In short, you can't go wrong with this joint, there's a place to sit to fit every mood.

The food menu looks like most other food menus for a brewery, if a bit more thorough. Burgers, fish and chips, seafood, nachos, and on and on. Except each dish is like how I would make it at home. I would add a twist to it, and use fresh ingredients, and not back away from any spices, until something as simple as a burger was a delight. That's what they are doing.

Duck nachos: topped with apples, some kind of creamy white sauce, some kind of creamy spicy sauce, and of course duck. It was the first thing we got and I still got my mind on it. I went to shopping in town and one of the shopkeepers volunteered that she loved the duck nachos here. This could easily have gone wrong with too much sauce or not fresh ingredients. Instead it felt like a really special dish.

Burger au poivre: smothered in cracked pepper, with a great sauce, on a brioche. Not exotic, not some kind of alien deconstruction of a burger, just wonderfully fresh beef with a lot of pepper. They could totally have phoned that one in and gotten away with it, and they didn't.

The owners of this place obviously are paying attention to every detail. I'd be happy to buy their crafted beers in the city, and go to their restaurant. Looks like I'll be visiting Sackets Harbor more often.

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Nice appetizers~ Beautiful view of the Harbor”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed sitting on the patio and taking in the sunset view while relaxing with a home brewed beer. We ordered appetizers, they were very delish. Definitely recommend for the view and the chill atmosphere with good food.

Visited August 2013
Fairport, New York
“Finally proper 'Fish and Chips!'”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We dined here in August for lunch as the idea of a pub which brews its own and the hotel within walking distance was perfect.

Arrived late for lunch by american timekeeping but the area overlooking Lake Ontario was full and would have to wait about 20 minutes so they offered the bar area which we were fine with, although by the time we did get our food we could have sat in the room with a view - but that is only a small aside.

This place brews its own beer - about 12 if I counted correctly. My companion is a beer drinker and enjoys tasting beers from the micro breweries in the USA as the foreigners perception of beer available here are the big named companies - oh the rest of the world have so much to learn once you are off the beaten track.

The pub area was quaint, not overly large and the tables very high. I had to climb up on to my stool and our server when she arrived her chin would rest on the table! This was a fun and enjoyable afternoon out.

The menu had all the usual things available in the USA and then I saw it: Fish and Chips - stating cooked in a beer batter - this sent me into a spin, will I, wont I, should I? For the past 7 years I have been on the hunt for someone who can cook a proper fish and chips just like you get in England or Australia (English convicts we thank you), a treat to have but every time I have ordered this meal in the USA I have been bitterly disappointed.

Exactly what do I mean as proper fish and chips? First we are talking a decent thick piece of fish filet - haddock or cod. and a good amount of batter cooked to perfection not too thick, certainly not thin to non existent, golden, crisp and definitely not soggy.

Secondly we are talking chips. Chips in British English would translate to something akin to steak fries - not those pieces of non existent potato cooked to a crisp in oil that are called french fries you get at a particular chain fast food restaurant, which incidentally taste nothing like actual french fries you get in France. But a good chip at least 3 inches long , 1/4 inch thick at least, potato twice cooked in oil - the first to cook the potato the second dunking to crispen off to that golden colour and the potato is floury inside, then finish off with a sprinkling of salt. Many people like their chips with malt vinegar sprinkled over them I am not one of them, but will admit to have dipped them in mayonnaise which I was taught to do when in France and Belgium (don't knock it until you try it)- strange all the little differences different cultures have to eat essentially the same food.

I decided to give it a go and ordered Fish and Chips and kept my fingers and toes crossed that I would not be disappointed again. My companion thought I was mad the number of times I had tried and pushed the plate away after the first few bites.

It was busy and we waited quite some time for the food to arrive, but each order was clearly cooked in the order they went into the kitchen so when they arrived they were piping hot and looked fantastic.

My portion was huge - 2 pieces of battered fish cooked to perfection sitting on top of perfectly cooked chips - I was literally in heaven.

What can I say - who was this chef - where did they learn to do it properly and why is the Sackets Harbor Brewing Company not within a 30 minute drive of my home so I could pop out for a friday night treat once in a while!!! Life is not fair!

All I can say is we had a really fun afternoon sitting up at that extremely high table on those extremely high stools, drinking fantastic beer (we tried several different types) and I got proper Fish and Chips!