“Finally proper 'Fish and Chips!'”

Sackets Harbor Brewing Company
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sackets Harbor Brewing Company operates one of New York State’s oldest continuing microbreweries featuring both a working brewery and dining establishment. Located in historic Sackets Harbor, NY, and situated on the shore of Lake Ontario with amazing views and deck seating, the brewery and brew pub occupy the former New York Central Railroad Station building, which retains most of its original detail. The dining room and outside deck boast expansive views of the lake and sunsets. The five star gastropub and restaurant offer upscale pub fare and fine dining that is paired with a rotating selection of over thirty original craft beers brewed on-site including our multi-award winning Thousand Islands Pale Ale and War of 1812 Amber Ale.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We dined here in August for lunch as the idea of a pub which brews its own and the hotel within walking distance was perfect.

Arrived late for lunch by american timekeeping but the area overlooking Lake Ontario was full and would have to wait about 20 minutes so they offered the bar area which we were fine with, although by the time we did get our food we could have sat in the room with a view - but that is only a small aside.

This place brews its own beer - about 12 if I counted correctly. My companion is a beer drinker and enjoys tasting beers from the micro breweries in the USA as the foreigners perception of beer available here are the big named companies - oh the rest of the world have so much to learn once you are off the beaten track.

The pub area was quaint, not overly large and the tables very high. I had to climb up on to my stool and our server when she arrived her chin would rest on the table! This was a fun and enjoyable afternoon out.

The menu had all the usual things available in the USA and then I saw it: Fish and Chips - stating cooked in a beer batter - this sent me into a spin, will I, wont I, should I? For the past 7 years I have been on the hunt for someone who can cook a proper fish and chips just like you get in England or Australia (English convicts we thank you), a treat to have but every time I have ordered this meal in the USA I have been bitterly disappointed.

Exactly what do I mean as proper fish and chips? First we are talking a decent thick piece of fish filet - haddock or cod. and a good amount of batter cooked to perfection not too thick, certainly not thin to non existent, golden, crisp and definitely not soggy.

Secondly we are talking chips. Chips in British English would translate to something akin to steak fries - not those pieces of non existent potato cooked to a crisp in oil that are called french fries you get at a particular chain fast food restaurant, which incidentally taste nothing like actual french fries you get in France. But a good chip at least 3 inches long , 1/4 inch thick at least, potato twice cooked in oil - the first to cook the potato the second dunking to crispen off to that golden colour and the potato is floury inside, then finish off with a sprinkling of salt. Many people like their chips with malt vinegar sprinkled over them I am not one of them, but will admit to have dipped them in mayonnaise which I was taught to do when in France and Belgium (don't knock it until you try it)- strange all the little differences different cultures have to eat essentially the same food.

I decided to give it a go and ordered Fish and Chips and kept my fingers and toes crossed that I would not be disappointed again. My companion thought I was mad the number of times I had tried and pushed the plate away after the first few bites.

It was busy and we waited quite some time for the food to arrive, but each order was clearly cooked in the order they went into the kitchen so when they arrived they were piping hot and looked fantastic.

My portion was huge - 2 pieces of battered fish cooked to perfection sitting on top of perfectly cooked chips - I was literally in heaven.

What can I say - who was this chef - where did they learn to do it properly and why is the Sackets Harbor Brewing Company not within a 30 minute drive of my home so I could pop out for a friday night treat once in a while!!! Life is not fair!

All I can say is we had a really fun afternoon sitting up at that extremely high table on those extremely high stools, drinking fantastic beer (we tried several different types) and I got proper Fish and Chips!

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Most important thing first: very good beers. I had the flagship first, the war of 1812 amber-very sessionable and refreshing. Next was the Sunrise Pale Ale which was excellent. My steak caprese salad was very nice, tender meat, fresh veggies, the mozzarella was so so and the balsamic was run of the mill. My girlfriend's burger was gigantic and very well prepared. Service was excellent. Killer view outside, even from upper deck. However, they could stand to take a broom to the dozens of giant spiderwebs all over the place.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I are new to the area, and we live between Watertown and Sackets Harbor. I was told if you are into craft beers and excellent food the best restaurant in the area was Sackets Harbor Brewing Company. I went there with my wife and we both agree: it lived up to the billing. Although a busy Friday evening (about 6:45pm) we walked in and right away we were greeted warmly and then immediately seated. We requested outdoor seating (not really expecting to get it as "walk-ins"), and we were very pleased she seated us on the higher of the two decks with water-edge views of the harbor. It was a perfect view, and it was elevated so we could see over other patrons, the deck of another restaurant (that had a tent up), and the boats in the harbor docked near-by. We were off to a good start.

Before we ate we asked for the beer sampler. It was great. It had eight or nine house-made beers that varied from summer wheat ales to darker stouts and even a “black” IPA, which was a first for both us. After the sampler I continued to order the Black IPA and my wife stuck with 1812 Amber Ale, which we were told was the company’s flagship beer. We next shared the scallop stack and blue cheese wedge salad, and both were excellent with large portions. We were glad we split it up. For entrees I had a bourbon steak special and my wife had the lobster tortellini, and both of us again shared. Both were excellent. The entrees took about 25 minutes from the appetizers but (a) that was OK since the apps were so big we needed a few minutes anyway, and (b) the place was jammed with people. So we understood. (And hey, it wasn’t so bad with this view!) The desserts looked fabulous but we were too full to try any. I finished off dinner with a double bourbon from an enormous whiskey selection, and my wife had a double cappuccino with a shot of Baily’s … which she loved. Beer, bourbon, food and the best view. These guys have it going on and I can’t wait to bring the parents here when they come up to visit. Next time I’m leaving room for dessert.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

First time here. A very nice location on the water. Nice interior with pub, dining area, and outdoor seating as well. We chose to eat in the pub as it was somewhat breezy that day. My wife and I tried several beers they made and all were very good. The pub was kinda cool, rustic, and had tvs and high tables. We noticed the place really needed a good dusting/cleaning. We decided for lunch we would choose several appetizers. We had a duck/blueberry salsa nacho. Served in a fairly small portion but wow was it delicious mmmm. We tried the General TSO wings which we had never had before anywhere. They were very good though cooked a but longer than we like but yummy. French fries were also very good, Given the beer and food we could overlook a lot. The waitress was very nice, although she was overloaded with handling tables outside as well as inside. The bartender on the other hand on this day (8/19 Monday) was loud, told others she was hung over, anad made no attenpt to come out behind th ebar to deliver drinks but instead left them warming on the bar till the waitress delivered to us. Good thing she doesn't work for me.
This place is a long ways from home for us, but if ever in the area would return. Prices were fair for what you get and great location.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stopped here at the end of the day on Monday. We were seated waterside on the new deck and were served by a young woman who was personable and knowledgeable. Our food was served in a timely manner and was delicious. We both had pasta dishes that were tasty and generously portioned. We would definitely visit again.