“A really nice weekend taste of country near NY”
Review of Doral Arrowwood

Doral Arrowwood
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rye Brook
Reviewed May 18, 2010

It's nice to find a full service resort less than one hour from Grand Central. Nestled between 2 well landscaped golf courses, it's like being in the country.

You can choose from a large indoor to a moderate sized outdoor pool that are connected. There's also a jacuzzi. Locker rooms are convenientrly located at their adjacent gym. The gym also has a gift shop where you can pick up some necessities and it isn't a rip-off.

If you're not a golfer, driving and putting ranges are available.

The roo is nice. Our King bed had lots of pillows and was extremely comfortable. The dressing room and bath were above average. We changed our initial room because it was very far away in the building and had a crummy view. They made a switch quickly. The five story building is very large so a distant room may seem like its nearly 2 blocks away. We prefer one that's more central. I guess the other one was better for privacy and silence.

Two restaurants are at this location. The Pub is moderately priced and has a sports bar motif. There are two pool tables. It's open late. The Atrium is a buffet style restaurant with a diverse selection of choices that are all delicious. If you're into protein or into carbs, there's plenty to choose for each. The room is spacious with a great view.

Atrium cons are a pricey buffet on Saturday night because of the "dance" to live band. I could accept $25.00 to 35.00pp. We didn't care about the band - recorded music would have been fine.

I believe a third outdoor spot opens during the summer, near the Golf Pro shop. It looked a little seedy when I was at trhe driving range but I guess it'll be more presentable after Memorial Day. A downer is you can't walk the trails around the golf course due to the danger of stray wild balls. The main road is fairly walkable but there are no sidewalks (Suburbia!).

As non-drivers, the Arrowwood is easy to get by Metro North, plus a $17 cab ride. It takes about an hour. It's a short route for relaxation.

The hotel offers several packages that make weekending more reasonable. I wish these were eligible for AAA and AARP member discounts. We made reservation through Doral central. They misgfuided us indicating pool was not functional. It was - a bit of a downer because we left our bathing suits at home. There's always next time!

Valuewise, not as inexpensive as a cruise. Hotel-wise, a resort that is very pleasing. With the absence of Bear Mountain Inn or not, Doral Arrowwood is a year around option for escaping New Yorkers seeking nearby fun and pleasure. That's why we'll do it during the summer and fall.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 14, 2010

This was my first time in new york since I last visited my parents in white plains. The place took a change since I remember last. Upon arrival I was greeted by valet and had my luggage brought inside right away. While headed to check in I instantly felt welcomed by the amazing service provided by Greg and Donata at the front desk. They assisted me with all my needs and gave me wondefull information about the hotel property. I had a room on the second floor right next to the gym which was very convinient. I had dinner at the pub, and I must say the food has got better since my last visit. Check out was a breeze. I would recomend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay or just for a getaway.

Reviewed May 13, 2010

I'm upgrading my prior review upon a return trip for business. Everything was done well, courteously and efficiently. Just great for a weary business traveler. Helpful bellstaff upon entry and departure; excellent, knowledgeable concierge.

They're solicitous in the dining room. Best when you can order a la carte; buffet not so good. (Is this an upgraded review??!) Breakfast is fabulous.

Beds are super comfy, rooms are beautiful. And their large indoor pool is open again. I don't sleep well there but don't know why since bed is comfortable and there are individual climate control devices.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank counrygal
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I recently stayed at this property for a long weekend. Although the hotel has a "no pets" policy, I wanted to travel with my licensed service dog. Before making my booking (on Hotels.com) , I contacted the hotel directly to confirm that there would be no problem when I arrived. I was told to just bring a copy of the dog's license papers.
Upon arrival and all through my stay I was treated in an extremely courteous and friendly manner by every staff member I encountered which made me feel very welcomed. The room (a standard King) was very clean and very large. In addition, I found that the food that I ordered through Room Service was of uniformly excellent quality and very reasonably priced. I would not hesitate to recommend this property to anyone seeking a relaxing weekend getaway within very close proximity to New York City.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We purchased the Romance Package for a Saturday-Sunday stay. The room was simple, but quiet and accommodating. We received a complimentary bottle of champagne and a tray of fresh fruit shortly after our arrival. Any staff we came in contact with were friendly and hospitable. Although there were various events going on in the hotel, the overall ambiance was peaceful.
There was some confusion with our package which offered breakfast in our room. We thought that since it was part of the package it was something "special." When we asked about ordering our breakfast we were told to order off the menu and it would be sent to our room and the cost added to our bill. So, no different than room service?
Regardless, the room was worth the cost and we will definitely return for another visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2010

On Feb. 13, 2010 I stayed at Doral Arrowwood in Rye Brook, NY.
It's difficult to plan trips in the winter months because the weather is unpredictable and many places require advance notice of cancellation, which can range anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I liked that Doral Arrowwood only required me to call the night before to cancel.
What's also nice about staying at Doral Arrowwod in the winter months is that it has two restaurants on premises (I believe there's a third in nice weather), as well as a host of activities, so you don't need to leave the grounds once you arrive. Note, however, that the basic rate only covers the room and access to the gym and pool but no breakfast or movies or classes. And, in retrospect, that probably would have been fine as we didn't go to any of the movies or classes that came with the package.
Because the weather was cold, we didn't walk around the hotel's spacious grounds but the inside is also spacious enough to stretch your legs. We found a ping pong table in the hallway and there's a fireplace in the lobby surrounded by couches.
If you are big on breakfast, I would recommend a package that includes it. The breakfast buffet has it all. The hot table included pancakes, waffles, cinnamon raisin French toast, apple crepes, home fries, bacon and turkey sausage. There was also assorted breads and pastries, fresh fruit, cereal and things I probably didn't see, as well as coffee, tea and juice. But if all you want is a roll and a cup of coffee, I'd recommend going a la carte. Breakfast is served in the atrium, with a window overlooking the grounds.
Between five and six pm a chocolate fountain and champagne reception was held in the ballroom. We had planned to stop in there on the way to dinner but ended up making this our dinner. In the center of the room was a circle of tables loaded with enough chocolate and desserts to fill anyone's sweet tooth. There was a chocolate fountain with strawberries for dipping, different chocolate truffles and bite-size pieces of cake, including brownies and opera cake. There was an assortment of appetizers, such as shrimp on a skewer and puff pastries. Other tables held fresh fruit, carrots, celery and olives, different chesses and crackers. Beverages were also included.
Our fourth-floor room had a view of the tennis bubble and the outdoor section of the indoor/outdoor pool (which was actively being used in 30-something degree weather). The room had two Queen-size beds with ample pillows, a table in between with a clock radio and a desk and chair on either side of the cabinet with the flat screen television. The sink was in a small hallway next to the bathroom. Shelf space was ample and a hair dryer, cotton balls, shampoo and skin lotion were provided. The water temperature in the shower, however, was hard to regulate--it was either very hot or very cold. The closet contained an extra blanket and pillows, a safe and an iron and ironing board.
The pool was excellent, although you must reserve the lap lanes.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I only spent a night; definitely will recommend for B conferences.
The pool is lovely. excellent service.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
#4 of 7 in White Plains
Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown
4 mi away
Cambria hotel & suites White Plains - Downtown

Been to Doral Arrowwood? Share your experiences!