“what a shame”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rye Brook
New York City, New York
“what a shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

I booked this hotel for a relaxing weekend with my family. Where else can you find a country like setting with a golfcourse, tennis and indoor outdoor pool just outside of New York cCty. Well, thats the good part.

On Saturday night, there was a false fire alarm and they evacuated the whole hotel at 4am. While I know the alarm was there to protect us, they never explained what happened, there were no personnel to tell us what was going on, simply to return to our rooms later. And worse, never an apology nor was anything done to compensate for waking our family up and ruining our supposedly relaxing trip.

When I complained with a group of other people, they passed me a letter with a $25 voucher for a future stay? With that type of service why would I ever return. I was not the only one expecting more, you could hear everyone complaining at breakfast the next day. it was like they simply didn't care if you ever returned.

The property is nice, but the they just dont seem to care. Service was spotty throughout my stay. Breakfast buffet was bountiful but they ran out of items and didnt replacement them. Lunch in the casual restaurant took 40 mintues to be served. And when you have small children that is an eternity.

What a shame, this could have been the place my family has been looking for for a summer weekend retreat from the heat of NYC. Now I understand why this property seemed empty despite great amenities.

But we wont go back.

• Liked — close to nyc, lots of activites
  • Disliked — service, staff and magement dont care
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Howard F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2008

I stayed 2 nights for a company retreat. I had previously stayed here in 1993 for a similar function--I recall it being nice at the time but getting a little long in the tooth even then. After reading some of the reviews here I assumed that, in 2008, it was going to be way past is prime. I don't look for bad things, but I can be a little picky about things.

I was pleasantly surprised. The place was very well maintained, Carpets looked new. Rooms were in good shape. No peeling paint or broken handles or frayed anything. Outside, some of the cedar shingles had recently been replaced (a sign of ongoing maintenance). The lawns were well manicured. The pool area was clean, and the exercise room even had up-to-date equipment and treadmills. Wow.

I saw another review here that the food was bad. Don't know where or what he was eating, but my group had buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner for 2 days, and it was pretty good...a wide assortment of foods for each meal. Generally you're not going to get 4-star meals at a buffet, but for a buffet...I give it an A.

I found the service to be very good. I was greeted at the front door by a bellman. The front desk was courteous. A housekeeper said hello to me in the hallway. And on the way out the bellman offered to throw away my empty soda bottle.

It's a very big place--so who knows, maybe some of the rooms are nicer than others, or maybe the AC works better in some rooms than others, or maybe the service varies depending on who's on duty or when the manager is around. Given my experience, I'd say the negative review was probably an abberration, as I really have nothing bad to say about the place. I was impressed, I recommend it, and I'll likely be back.

• Liked — Everything was clean
  • Disliked — It's definitely more for business travelers--conference center is a core component
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

Let me start by saying that I did not choose this resort, it chose me. I came here over the last few days for a business convention. As I sit here in my room typing this review, I'm debating whether to check out now and head into the city or suck it up one more night and leave as planned in the morning.

I was very excited about this convention because the resort site looked fantastic. Rather than write a long story about all the issues, I'll give you the good and bad in bullet points. Overall, for the price, I'd never stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

Good:
- FREE reliable high speed plug in and wireless in the rooms and lobby area
- Comfortable bed, decent sized rooms and lots of work area for the business traveler
-Golf course looks great - didn't have time to play, but looks like it's in great shape
-Fantastic gym for a hotel. Problem is, they let the locals in, so the two times I've been, it's been overrun by kids around the pool area. The wieght room itself and the cardio equipment are well maintained and quality stuff - many of the same machines I use at my home gym and nice Hoist dumbbells up to 90# (most hotels with dbs don't go north of 40#).

The bad (which greatly outweigh the good):
-My A/C broke and my room was like a steambath. I called maintenance twice and their only solution was to turn the theremostat to 64. That of course did nothing. It continued to blow hot air. Thankfully it was cool outside last night so I was able to open the windows.

-Today roomservice showed up when while I was getting ready. I asked if they could come back in 15 mintues. Not only did they never return, but when I called at 5:15, I was told too late. I asked if I could at least get some clean towles. They brought me 4 washclothes, 6 handtowels and 1 full size towel. Guess I better be ecco friendly and hang my towel after I to the gym tonight.

- The food here sucks. So far I've had two breakfast, two lunches and a dinner at the convention and 2 meals from room service. The food is terrible.

-The rooms that appear to be resort quality on the web are no nicer than an average Courtyard by Marriott. I guess for $400 a night, I'd expect more. The bathrooms are extremely small and dingy and look like any cheap hotel bathroom. The water temp in my shower was very hard to regulate. Plenty of hot water, but would not hold a stable temperature.

-Service sucks. The maids, the room service, the front desk. Everyone has an attitude. I took a cab to get here and no one offered to help with my bags. Not a big deal, I can get a backpack and rolling bag just fine, but as i walked in the front door, 4 kids dressed as bellman were standing there shooting the $H!+.

In all, terrible experience at the hotel, but the conference was worth it (at times).

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank airrailey
Lenox MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2008

What can I say. Wanted to stay at a nice spa. This is NOT the place. I'll keep this real simple......

* Steam Room Out of Service
* Hot Tub Closed for cleaning at 7pm
* No Massage Appointments available
* Airplanes flying over at all hours.
*Management did little to address our problems
*Buffet $32 per person. Food looks like garbage
* Total bill for my Spa experience.... $340!!!!!!!!

If you are at this place on business I guess it's ok but they claim they: "Are MORE of a resort on the weekends" - says the manager, Louis. Who frankly, could care less what our experience was like.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank troyboyfilms
Chicago IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

We, a family of 4, stayed 3 nights at the Arrowwood. We came in for a wedding (nearby, not at the Arrowwood). The rate was a special group rate which didn’t include the buffet breakfast. (More about that later.) Rooms were clean and comfortable, nothing fancy, but not run down either. Bathroom standard issue, clean, again nothing special. Grounds are very nice and well kept. We used the pool which was nice, but not the golf course. The hotel is directly in the landing path for the nearby Westchester County airport – which can be either interesting or scary depending on your point of view. Regardless, the room itself was quiet which was the most important thing.

Our group was treated to a buffet breakfast by the wedding party. Not worth it at $15/per person, IMO. Glad I wasn’t paying. The egg/omelet station was the slowest I’ve ever seen, with a very long line. You would think they were cooking the chickens, not the eggs. I gave up waiting after I heard the first guy in line tell the cook to “take it off already”. There are no other choices at the hotel for breakfast. The other mornings we found a diner, the Port Chester Diner on the Post Road, a much better value. Ask the concierge for directions. If your rate includes the buffet, by all means go for it. If not, think twice.

• Liked — Great location. Scenic
  • Disliked — Expensive breakfast buffet is the only breadfast choice.
  • Stayed July 2007
2 Thank BigDubya
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2007

There seems to be a common theme among larger hotels in the Westchester County Area. They all look as if they need renovations, and dont quite have the service needed for the amount of guests. This place is no exception. I think its because there are so few quality hotels in the White Plains area that many of them just dont feel the competition to go the extra mile.

The hotel itself is huge and sprawls over many acres of gorgeous real estate. Outside of the fact that the hotel lies on final approach for Westchester Airport, the location is perfect. There are many dining and drinking options on the premises and from what I tried the food was quite good - although overpriced. We went there on a warm early srping day and the outdoor bar area was open , which was a nice touch. The rooms were quite big , but very average in terms of quality. They look as if they if a nice renovation would really help them out. The indoor/outdoor pool and fitness center areas all looked nice, but we did not get to try them. The Breakfast buffet was very extensive, but the quality was simply average. It was not bad by any means, but not of the quality of a 4*or 5 * hotel.

With a few renovations I think this could be a top of the line hotel, but it is not quite there yet. That being said, I think most people will be ok for one or two nights here.

• Liked — Size of rooms and views.
  • Disliked — Need renovations and staff did not seem to care much.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you go to sleep early-- the nearby airport noise could be a problem.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank icem2829
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

Booked reservations for a "quiet and relaxing" weekend through the properties in-house reservations, I was clear in telling them what I was hoping to experience at the hotel, "quiet and relaxing". Well, this was not what greeted us at the Doral Arrowwood. A planned property wide carpet install was underway with work starting early in the morning and going on until past 10PM. The hotel was a mess. O.K., try and overlook this - head to the Pub for a quick dinner - now, it's hard to do pub food bad but the Doral exceeded in this. Sub-par food and ridiculously bad service. O.K. keep trying for the "relaxing" bit, pull down sheets to find hair in the bed - and lovely "personal" body hairs awaiting us throughout the bathroom. Very 80's style hotel designed in a way to let all voices and noises echo throughout. Such a disappointment - our "quiet and relaxing" weekend was cut short as we happily departed early and non-showered. Would not recommend this property to anyone, carpet install or not!

Oh yea, we had a patio room with a "golf view" this consisted of some manicured, cut grass and a broken screen that invited all bugs and pests right inside.

• Stayed September 2006
#4 of 8 in White Plains
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Cambria hotel & suites White Plains - Downtown

Been to Doral Arrowwood? Share your experiences!