“Great place to stay and poay”
Review of Doral Arrowwood

Doral Arrowwood
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rye Brook
Watertown, New York
“Great place to stay and poay”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located near SUNY Purchase College. It is reasonably priced for the area and offers many amenities. We always enjoy the food and atmosphere of the pub. The entire staff of this hotel treat each customer as a VIP. I would not hesitate to recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have just arrive home after spending one night at Doral. I grew up in the area and wanted to go enjoy the amenities offered at the hotel after comparing other local places. We arrived on Friday at 4. We pulled up to the hotel and waited 10 minutes for someone to come take our car. Two valet employees just stood at the front and did not every address us despite being there for some time. It was very busy, but the least they could have done was handed us our ticket and allow us to go inside.

Once inside, the front desk was friendly. We booked the Romance Package and upon arrival we were told that we would not be getting breakfast (Something part of the package). My husband asked her to look again and it was in the computer. She apologized and began to explain where our room was located. She also told us dinner was included in the package (something we later found out was untrue). We arrived at the room- very basic, just a room in my opinion.

We headed down to the gym to exercise. We were told we needed towel cards that we did not get from the front desk, but the gentleman loaned us the towels anyway. The gym has what you would need to get a nice workout. After, we went to the tennis courts that we reserved in advance and played for an hour. Nice courts and they are indoor so that is a plus.

After tennis, we got dressed for some drinks at the pub. There was a nice crowd there. Decent service. What I expected.

We went down to The Atrium for dinner and this is when the night took a turn. We booked through Opentable.com. I had not been to the restaurant since I was little, but I remember it being nice. I checked out the A la Carte menu online and things looked to be good. Upon arrival, we were told that it was only a buffet. I was disappointed, but decided to look around. Nothing appealed to me and I really had my heart set on this one dish I read about on the menu. We asked if we could think about the buffet and come back. We decided to see if they would offer the a la carte menu to us. They said yes and seated us. Things seemed to be back on track until we read the menu. It was totally different than what they had online. The waiter explained that on busy nights (with weddings, events, etc.) they serve that menu. I was horribly upset because I could have very easily gone somewhere else for dinner and avoided this whole snafu. My husband asked me what I wanted to eat and asked the waiter to ask the chef. The chef said no problem and I tried to let everything go. I ordered a glass of champagne and waited for my meal. The restaurant was empty.

The meal arrived, totally wrong. That was the final straw for me. I had booked through a reputable site, checked the website for the menu, and tried to work with what they had. It had been about 45 minutes throughout this whole ordeal. I couldn't handle it anymore. I just left the meal on the table and left while my husband handled the bill. He said my drink was complimentary, but we still paid for the wrong dish and a horrible experience.

I decided to go to bed and start new in the morning. We were scheduled to go play tennis again, so we headed down to breakfast, another buffet. I realized I should have just ordered something in the room if I wanted to be served, which I did want. The buffet was mediocre, at best. The omelet was the only decent thing I ate and the rest of the meal was not warm. I like to read the paper and have a cup of coffee, but the paper was no where to be found. Finally, upon leaving the restaurant, I found a paper.

We headed over to the tennis courts, but no one was there. My husband had made a reservation for Friday night and Saturday morning. No one was there to let us on the courts. We waited because we did not just want to take someone else's court, but 20 minutes later, we decided to jump on. About 10 minutes in to playing, a gentleman let us know that he had that court. We apologized and went to the office. Finally, someone had arrived. She did not have our reservation and we decided to leave.

I just packed up after that. I found the entire experience to be awful and I will not be returning. In addition, my husband's job has his retreats there, and he is also not returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cr0wlondaPr0wl
Wellesley, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We spent two days there for a wedding, and had a blast. There are plenty of things to do. We went swimming with the kids and had a drink at the pub later on in the evening. The wedding was held there and it was all very good. Staff were friendly, plenty of amenities and a great stay overall.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Overall I had a good experience staying here, however my experience at the Pub was terrible. We had to wait over 25 minutes to receive our drinks once ordered (and there was hardly anyone else in the restaurant so it's not like it was busy, regardless it shouldn't take that long to get a drink even if it was crowded) It was extremely difficult to find anyone who worked at the restaurant when we needed something. Our food also took an extremely long time, over a half an hour. Once our food came out on the tray that the server carried them out on, the tray was placed on a nearby table with our food on it, and the server disappeared for a good five minutes without delivering the food to our table. When he finally came back and delivered the food to our table we had to hurry up and eat our meals once they came because we were going to be late for the bus that was taking us to the wedding reception. We were there for a wedding and spent a decent amount of money on the hotel rooms, drinks at the pub the night before and our meals. Very disappointed. If I ever stay at the hotel again I definitely will not be spending money at the Pub.

• Stayed May 2013
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Unfortunately, this hotel is not being cared for. The staff was dry and unfriendly at the front and was rude in the restaurant. The Hotel is on beautiful grounds and has a unique structure that looks like it is falling apart. Too bad as it could be quite remarkable.

Room Tip: Lobby of hotel is on Level 5 and all rooms are from Level 5 down. Level 1 rooms have a nice walk ou...
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Doral recently in April for my boyfriend's birthday. The room was clean and a nice size. We stayed Friday through Sunday, had a wonderful breakfast on Saturday, spent some time in the pool and a great dinner Saturday night. After retreating to our room to enjoy some wine and a movie, the noise started. Children running up and down the hallway (after 10 p.m.) and then noise as if a party was going on in some room. Well after 3 calls to the front desk strangely enough the "noise" was not located. At one point the person at the front desk suggested the noise was coming from our room. Needless to say we did not have a very good night sleep. I called the following Monday and was offered the use of the facilities at any time or another night stay. A refund for the night would have been more appropriate. We will not return to the facility again and would not recommend it to friends either. I emailed the general manager and received no reply.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DoralArrowwoodGM, General Manager at Doral Arrowwood, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Jackie M,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor about your recent stay Doral Arrowwood. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed Friday night and the earlier part of the day on Saturday from a wonderful breakfast in the Atrium Restaurant, time relaxing in the pool to a great dinner Saturday night, however sorry to hear you did not get a good night sleep. I hope you decide to return over the summer as was offered to you by our Director of Rooms who called you to discuss your concerns the Monday after your departure.

Doral Arrowwood has recently enhanced our summer amenities. Featuring a remodeled pool deck and new pavilion, superior golf amenities, an indoor-outdoor pool, tennis courts and instruction, and poolside events for the entire family, Doral Arrowwood offers the perfect summer escape just 40-minutes from New York City and a short drive from neighboring Connecticut and New Jersey.

For those seeking a more active getaway, Doral Arrowwood boasts world-class tennis and golf offerings. In addition to the pool and activities, Doral Arrowwood offers three acclaimed restaurants - The Pub, The Atrium and Mulligans, Doral Arrowwood’s seasonal restaurant, which overlooks its award-winning golf course.

I want to reassure you that we take all our guests concerns seriously, which is why when you called for a noise complaint it was addressed first by the Concierge, then Security and finally by the Manager on Duty. As there were no other rooms occupied above, below or on either side of your guest room they were unable to locate any noise in the guest room wing at all. In my absence Doral Arrowwood’s Director of Rooms, Luis Fornis contacted you on Monday after your departure and spoke with you regarding the noise complaint and invited you back as our guest in the future. Again I hope you choose to return to Doral Arrowwood and give our staff the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Steve Mabus
New Hampshire
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter while looking at SUNY Purchase (which is less than 5 minutes away). This is a big, resort style hotel on a golf course with all the amenities. The room was comfortable -- two queen beds and still lots of room. Well appointed, nice bathroom. Modern furnishings.

Aside from valet parking ($10) and breakfast buffet (up to NY standards, but nothing special -- usually fruit, yogurt, breads, steam tray eggs, sausage, crisp bacon, pancakes, etc) and cook to order omelets), we really did not get to try any of the services of the hotel.

Still, this has to be one of the best places to stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
#4 of 8 in White Plains
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Cambria hotel & suites White Plains - Downtown

Been to Doral Arrowwood? Share your experiences!