“A Totally Awesome Find”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roxbury
The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roxbury
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
“A Totally Awesome Find”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

The Roxbury is totally awesome! We had an amazing enjoyable time at the Roxbury. My husband and I travel quite a bit, and we can honestly say the Roxbury was the most unique, fun motel we have ever been to. We stayed in the "Emerald City" room based on the" Wizard of Oz" movie. We are fans of the movie and this room actually brought it to life. It even had a cool "yellow brick road" room, as well as a beautiful green chandelier and gorgeous tile detail.

The room was spacious and above all-it was so so clean. I am a bit of a germaphobe and I had no problem taking a nice bath in the wonderful huge soaking tub with hubby. Normally, I would never take a bath at a hotel (only showers) but the Roxbury was so clean, I felt quite comfortable taking a nice long soak. With respect to the tub-it really is a nice big one. Neither hubby nor I are small people and we both fit in comfortably. And the bed was also huge, comfy and had really great sheets and pillows. Divine for sleeping.

I would also like to mention the fact that the host and owner Greg was so gracious and welcoming as was the rest of the staff. When we ran into Greg at restaurants in the area, he was so sweet about saying hello and asking if we were having a good time. Considering you barely see most managers or owners, we really appreciated and were impressed by this. Greg clearly loves his hotel and cares about his guests.

The thoughtful amenities at the Roxbury also made this a great stay. In the bathroom, there was lotions, a bath cap even moisturizers. And nice ones. There is wine in the fridge that you can buy for only $20 per bottle. And you can go to office where snacks, coffee and cookies are laid out. Plus there is a huge DVD section where you can take out a movie for the evening.

We did not get a chance to try the spa, but we hope to come back one day and do so. it looked great. We would both love to try out different rooms. All of them look like such fun.

It was so nice to find a motel that was unique and where you could actually enjoy the whole motel experience. We felt really good in that room and would loved to have stayed longer.

I totally recommend the Roxbury. It's a breath of fun, cool fresh air.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RedGreenWand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stumbled upon the Roxbury by accident through some Internet searching. I was looking for a place to take my fiance for a surprise 30th birthday adventure. She had no idea where we were going and when we pulled up a big smile came over her face.

Generally when you hear the words, "theme motel", negative thoughts come into your mind (or at least they do in mine). Like sleezy, hourly rates, type negative. But not here. Absolutely not.

Its tucked in the Western Catskills which is a fairly remote location. About a little over 1 hour from the NY Thruway exit (19) if you're coming from NYC or NJ. Near popular ski resorts (Belleayre, Wyndham, etc). The town is very quaint with little shops and eateries withing walking distance, specifically the Public Lounge which sort of in line with the vibe of the Roxbury. Good food, good people. Worth it to not have to drive for food. But keep in mind that this isn't NYC and not all places are open 7 nights a week until 2am.

We stayed in the new building in the Maria's Curtains room (#26) loosely themed around the movie, "The Sound of Music". This room was probably the most relaxing space that we've ever stayed in. The pictures will fill you in but as soon as you walk in you feel it, "ahhh".

And by the way this room and the entire motel was beyond clean. I mean like immaculately clean. Like I couldn't get it this clean if I tried for days and had a degree in....um, cleaning. So do not worry at all in this department.

We decided to extend our stay one night and purchased passes to the spa amenities ($20 per person per stay). This gets you into both spas for you entire stay from 8am to 8pm. They also offer the opportunity to have professional massage therapists to give swedish, deep tissue, reflexology, couples massages, etc. at an extra cost. The new spa is sooooo relaxing. It has a great steam room, which I had never really experienced before (I will have to put one of these in my home). Awesome relaxation space, snacks, soothing music, funky showers, shampoos, and all that fun stuff. They also give you plush robes to wear. We also went to the spa in the other building which has a hot tub and a sauna. The hot tub/sauna spa is smaller than the new one and does not have the relaxation lounge that the new one has.

The spa really made the trip for us. But I will say that we were really the only people in the motel while we stayed (it was a mid-week stay in the off-season). So we were able to really relax at the spa. I could see that if the Roxbury were at max capacity that the spa would get packed very quickly. The steam room area is really ideal for 2 or 3 people at a time. You can however, definitely fit way more than 3 people in the steam room at a time. I just think that it's ideal for one couple at a time. But I also think that all you really need in terms of using the steam room is about 15 minutes plus some time for shower. So as long as your fellow guests are courteous I don't think that it would be that big of a deal. Plus there a great relaxation room separate from the steam room that you can chill out in while you're waiting.

This place is great and you can really tell that the owners put a lot of heart and soul into this place. They and their staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We even had microwave popcorn delivered to our room after they weren't able to find any for us earlier. They have a pretty extensive DVD collection that you are free to check out (collection also includes AFI's 100 best movies of all time). Each room has bottles of wine in it that are $20 each if you choose to open, pretty reasonable I think.

There are so many neat rooms that I look forward to trying in the future. But we were supremely content with our (or my, cause it was a surpirse) choice of Maria's Curtains. My fiance had a wonderful time and much needed relaxation at the Roxbury. Don't hesitate. But try and keep the Roxbury a secret for only your most awesome friends. A place that special and unique should only be recommended to those you really love.

Cheers,
CF

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We found the many details of the Roxbury fascinating. Very thoughtful planning went into each aspect of the INN. The rooms are very comfortable, interesting and filled with items for the guest to use and enjoy. We especially loved the tub for two. Breakfast was varied and plentifull so we were well cared for. Our highlight was the Splender Spa and couples massage. The spa facilities are spotless. We loved the relaxation lounge and snacks after our massage and steam bath as well as the hot tub, sauna and luxurious bathroom facilities. We will return as will many other people.

Brooklyn
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Just returned from The Roxbury, which was our 2nd choice, our 1st choice was full. Roxbury was a little cheaper anyway. We had never been to the Catskills before. We arrived late due to car problems. So, we fetched our keys off the office door and found our room with no difficulties. We stayed in Samantha's Cloud. It is on the end of the building, which is nice because you only have one neighbor. You could hear a slight pounding sound in the wall before the heat kicks in but not enough to wake me. Smaller than expected from the photos but still way adequate for a hotel room. Note that the toilet is in a separate room but the sink/shower area is not, it is part of the main living area...so if you need to use the light there late at night you might wake your mate. Cleanliness and little niceties abound. Two doors, front and back out onto the garden. I sat out back late and listened to coyotes/wolves (?) howling in the mountains and watched a skunk cross the lawn. If you want there is an area to build a fire and so forth.
The hotel wireless would not really work for us, but some other network did. (?!)
The owner that we met was Greg (?), who was a very nice fellow, showed us the new facilities (spa) and helped with directions, local attractions etc.
The continental breakfast is just that. It is an elaborate one, with many nice jams and pastries, coffee, teas and so forth. For my taste, as I don't eat much pastry, I would prefer they cut all that back and find a way to sport a hard boiled egg or maybe even just some cheese... but no complaints.
The location is slightly further than other places in the area but, I would say The Roxbury is probably worth the extra 20-40 minutes, and for skiing may even be preferable.
The excellent spa facilities are only open until 8P, so don't plan on a later hot tub or steam before bed, unfortunately. Finally, of course, the theme rooms are a great touch. I peeked into several that were being cleaned that I would like to stay in next time.
Overall, the Roxbury Rocks... I have to recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
TheRoxbury, Owner at The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. And for the kind words as well! We just wanted to point out to any other readers that this particular room is one of our five "studio theme rooms," and they are the only rooms designed with the bathtub and sink as part of the room. It was a design choice that works for some and not others. They are also one of our smallest room categories - but they also have a second door that opens out onto our main garden area which is a nice plus. So before booking, check out all room categories on our website or give us a call and we'll explain them to you. Thanks again for the review!
Brooklyn
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Just returned from a stay at the Roxbury. In a word....wow! The attention to detail in the theming of the rooms is evident from the first glance. Not cheesy, very well done and a super cool vibe. It is far from anything else, but the staff and owners have made the Roxbury a destination! Beautiful flat screen TVs and comfy beds and the convenience of helpful staff made it more like an inn than a motel. The new Shimmer Spa is elegant and visually calming. The Roxbury is worth the trip!

New York
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed at the Roxbury again and I just feel compelled to leave another review. It's still the best break from city life. Trendy, comfortable rooms, friendly and helpful staff and now two spas!!! I visited the spa in the new wing (which opened a week ago) and I am so impressed: the decor is beautiful and possibly even crazier than what seen in the main wing. And of course all is executed with the usual incredible care to the smallest detail.
Two thumbs up!

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My wife and I spent our first wedding anniversary here. I kept the destination a suprise due to reading extensive review that outpaced each other (wasn't sure exactly what to expect so I didn't talk it up too much). When we arrived at 10:30pm that night we walked into the Hair room (Room 20) and she was floored. It was so different from what we were used to (and what I was expecting) in a good way that we were instantly invigorated. The detail in the room was impeccible and extremely tasteful. I was a little worried that the decor would be a little too much but my fears went aside once we stepped in. The next morning we went up to the main office for breakfast and were instantly greated by Greg and Leslie who couldn't have been nicer. They were very friendly without being obtrusive and over the next few days helped to point us to cool hiking, spa treatments and dining. The joke is that everything in the Catskills is a 30 minute drive but the scenery is so beautiful in October that we didn't care.

In summary, the weekend was magical for both of us and we appreciated every ounce of effort that was put into the decor, cleanliness and friendly service. Despite paying holiday prices I walked out feeling as if I should offer them more for our stay (while a little pricey at busy times, you never feel like you aren't getting what you paid for). Not only will I recommend this to family and friends but feel that we will be making future trips up here. My only regret for the weekend was not being able to stay in a different room each night.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roxbury
Albergo Allegria
Margaretville Mountain Inn
Margaretville Mountain Inn
#1 of 2 in Margaretville
Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club

Been to The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging? Share your experiences!