“Great place!!!”

Public Lounge
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Roxbury
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are full service restaurant that seats 35. We also provide services for intimate parties and weddings! Please call for reservations and updated menu options!
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I am so happy I found this intimate restaurant located in Roxbury. We started with a few drinks at the bar. I would say its a great selection, although no beer on tap. We started with a couple appetizers the chicken quesadilla and a salad, both fresh and delicious. All ingredients are from the local farms, which is a plus to support local towns!

For dinner I had the Atlantic Salmon with a lemon creme sauce served with buttermilk mash and fresh veggies, it was incredible. My fiance had the 8 oz steak with roasted potatoes and veggies, also a hit! The best was the potato croquettes, they are served in a ball form and with a dipping sauce (the best we ever had)! We are frequent diners in the New York City area and love trying new places. We will be at the Public every time we come up to Roxbury, which is often. I looked forward to trying new options on the menu. The menu is small, but well worth it!

1  Thank Lisa D

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had a very good meal (not the best I ever had, but VERY good), service was wonderful and attentive. Had greats apps (very good clams in a white wine broth) and salad (which was locally sourced) to start. I had a wonderful steak (perfetly prepared and exceptionally tender), my husband a very good pasta dish. Location was a short walk from the hotel we were staying at, so VERY convenient. Only suggestions- (1)all cocktails on the cocktail menu were sweet- needed more variety and (2) desserts were obviously bought at a big box store- tasty but very unoriginal and industrial. There are some great local bakeries in the Catskills- featuring some locally sources sweets would have been much better.

Nickolett S, Owner at Public Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for great review and comments. As new owner I have been working out the dinner menu for 6 months- we just started resourcing local farmers for all our produce and found a great sea food source from kingston. With that being said desserts HAVE been on my mind- I started cooking as a baker, but now must focus all my time on the entrees. I have a culinary student who specializes in baking on staff and Im working on utilizing her for our dessert menu- I have also been in contact with a few local bakeries.
Lastly, our drink menu does have many sweet drinks; however, favorites like the flamingo, bj delux, dorthy parka, mojhito, lazy firefly, and our new addition the rhubarb margarita are all on the more "tart" side....we will keep trying to add more variety.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel we were staying at, and it was a convenient walk. When we arrived, they were about half full, and the friendly staff offered us any table we wanted. The atmosphere was really cool and eclectic with the tone set for a relaxing intimate meal. The menu was a little limited, but all the choices looked good. We settled on the shrimp linguine and the roasted chicken quarters. The food presented beautifully and arrived hot but lacked any distinct taste. The chicken and mashed potatoes had to be seasoned a couple of times, and the linguine was so mild that by the end, it was just plain noodles with no taste. The wait staff is working hard and keeping customers happy with excellent service. with a slight adjustment in the food this place is a winner. back again because of the atmosphere, and anytime I give a less than excellent review I like to give a second chance.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This restaurant is well worth the drive, and it is one of the better buys in the area, too. I enjoyed the Sunday Brunch. The soups are delicious. The service is great.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

A friend of ours suggested we eat here since the new owners took over, so I went to tripadvisor to check it out. When I read about the slow service from one reviewer I was turned off but we gave it a try last night. Either there was a 180* turn around or the reviewer was a crank. We were greeted by a very friendly hostess when we entered, seated quickly and everything else took place in a timely manner. The menu had good variety and the food was fresh and wonderful especially the sugar snap peas that I was told were picked that same day. The only disappointment was the pizza with chicken that my wife ordered. She didn't like it and I tasted it and she was right. Rather dry and somewhat tasteless as though it was made earlier and reheated. My arctic char and mashed was terrific. We will definitely recommend this to others.