“The simple pleasures of life...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Winter Clove Inn

Winter Clove Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
Bergen County, NJ
“The simple pleasures of life...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

This is my first time at the Winter Clove Inn. Our experience has been highly satisfactory . Our suite-type rooms comfortably accomodated 4 people- one for my husband & I and another room for the two kids, which gave us the essential comfort and privacy--how wonderful!!! The rooms have Victorian decor, very quaint, clean (unlike what other reviewers have said), and surprisingly peaceful & quiet at both the dining areas and hallways (unlike what some reviewers have said!). The bathrooms may not have been 4 star quality, lacking in amenities such as hooks for hanging clothes and more toiletries, but both bathrooms have no plumbing issues. The service is quite adequate between the innkeeper, other assistants, and wait staff. While the food is not necessarily gourmet quality (and I've had better food from inns of the same price range), the menu choices, quality of food, preparation are very good. WCI took me back to the simple pleasures of summer - nature where your kids can have fun looking for frogs, swimming at the crystal clear waterfalls, a huge porch w/Adirondack chairs and lots of tables where you can veg. IF you're looking for a relaxing, non-frenetic, accessible, innocent, summer FUN, this inn is for you. It offers indoor & outdoor pool, tennis, playground, volleyball.

1 Thank sigena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Cortlandt Manor NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

I have been vacationing with my family at Winter Clove from 1972 to the present and there has always been something that draws back to this country Inn. From when I was a kid when i thought that the place was the greatest with an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, right up until now where I have my own family a father of two girls. it is great I recommend it anytime of year! My sister met her husband at Winter Clove and a good friend of mine met his wife. I would recommend this place to anyone who would like to have an old fashion American vacation. We have been coming up to the Clove for the first week in August and we have been meeting the same families for 27 years. The families have become not only friends but a part of the family. The owners are great, they always make us feel at home, It is not that expensive, the food is good family style meals, the porch is one of the amazing parts or the experience. We can play music, sit around talk or just relax. the grounds around Winter Clove are amazing and picturesque! As many things change in your life it nice to know there are places like Winter Clove that stand the test of time. I know the place has been around for 150 years I wish it can stay around for another 150 years. A real hidden Gem!!!

1 Thank paulguglichjr
long island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

the most perfect family vacation for everyone. we went as parents, children and grand-
parents. outstanding location in the catskill mountains. great meals. pleanty of activities.
well managed with a terrific staff.
visit web site. www.winterclove.com

1 Thank traveleral1
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Great place for any age. Large porch perfect for evening gatherings.Staff very accomindating.Excellent hiking trails. Indoor and outdoor pools and a real swimming hole. Great time was had by all.

1 Thank LIZinNY
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

I spent a three day weekend here with my wife and a group of associates 5-15 to 5-17-09. Nature is beauitful up here and peacefully quiet. We explored the area, trails and even had a bon fire. The owners are very pleasant poeple exept the the young girl by the bowling area whom was a snob. Bar tender was great and made a nice atmosphere. Nice gift shop near the bar. I bought natural maple syrup and other stuff. The food was very nice with great choices! My last day there was the best with that BBQ, Delicious!
The lights went out for three or so hours one of the nights. We had flashlights in every room and the emergency lihgts went on as well. This hotel has nice rooms with antique furniture, nice hot water showers and no TVs in the rooms so that you get that quality rest your body needs . They have a swimming pool indoors as well as outdoors but I never used them. Great lobby and waiting area was divided into three areas with a piano for those who know how to play. I wish to return here with my family someday.
I took plenty pictures of the events and place. I wish to thank everybody there for a great job! and Thank Vito and all my friends whom accompanied him for the great event that he made possible! J and M

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank drummerboyNyc
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

In February 2009 my family and I spent a long weekend at the Winter Clove Inn . During our stay, we had some less-than-ideal experiences (mostly related to poor service and cleanliness issues). Following our stay, I posted a rather negative review of our experience on this website. While everything mentioned in my review was accurate, I have since decided it was also unfair.

While we did encounter some problems during our stay, we never once brought them to the attention of the inn's management. So we never actually gave them the opportunity to rectify the issues. I now believe that the owners of the Winter Clove would have done all that was within their power to make us happy to have chosen the Winter Clove for our vacation.

Much of this realization came to me in the weeks following our stay and was a direct result of my writing the review. It turns out, the Winter Clove is not owned by some faceless corporation but by the Whitcomb family who cares so much about their guests' satisfaction that they actually read these reviews. I know this, because soon after my posting, we received a call from the owner Lenore. She had not only read the review but spent time figuring out who wrote it and then obtained my contact information. She called us because an unpleasant stay at her inn was something she took very personally.

Lenore spoke to my wife on two occasions and went over every point in my review. She was very concerned but not defensive and she did not make excuses. She truly seemed committed to make sure others did not experience the things we did and she was also genuinely interested in making things right for us.

Throughout my life I have had experiences with products or services where they failed to meet my expectations, but I can honestly say that no one at any company has ever taken such a personal interest in my satisfaction as Lenore Whitcomb has. In turn, I now know why so many people are passionate about vacationing at the Winter Clove. Yes, the setting, activities and more are great, but the commitment of the owners to their guest is a rare and wonderful thing.

The Winter Clove offers a lot, but it may not be perfect. However any imperfection is not from lack of commitment by the owners to their guests. In turn, I have pledged to Lenore that my family will return to give the inn a second chance. I have also promised her that should I experience any issue while there, I will let her know immediately. Based upon my recent experiences, I think it would be rectified to my satisfaction

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank tomtraveler1Ct
Albany NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

I have been to the Winter Clove Inn about 6 or 7 times. I love the area, the trails are beautiful, plenty to do with children, bowling is fun, a good value with all the meals included (don't expect gourmet but it's always been fine for my family). It is definitely lacking in cleanliness and needs some renovations in bathrooms and some of the furniture needs to be replaced. Over all, we almost always have a good time and I will continue to return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Pollace's Family Vacation Resort
Riedlbauer's Resort
Riedlbauer's Resort
#3 of 4 in Round Top

Been to Winter Clove Inn? Share your experiences!